Croatia Itinerary Review

Feb 14th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Croatia Itinerary Review

Hello all.
After more reading/research, we have narrowed our late Sept itinerary down to the following:

Fly into Split, stay 5 nights
Ferry to Hvar, stay 3 nights in Hvar town
Ferry to Korcula, stay 3 nights in Korcula Town
Ferry to Dubrovnik, stay 2 nights and fly out

We like the idea of spending more time in Split as it is the largest city on this list and has excellent day trip access to many islands/towns. 1.5 days in Dubrovnik isn't much but we should be able to explore the town well during that time and it sounds like the islands are much more enjoyable to most folks.

Any thoughts or advice for this itinerary? Would you reduce Split by a day and add time elsewhere on this list? I welcome all thoughts, thank you.
Feb 14th, 2018, 07:57 PM
kja

Sounds like you’ve made great progress with your plans and have come up with an itinerary that should be delightful!

I loved Split, and agree that it provides some great options for day trips. I wouldn't run out of ways to keep myself happily engaged with the time you have, but YMMV. If you have doubts, you could shift a night (from Split or Korcula) to Dubrovnik so you have time for a day trip to Kotor.

3 nights in Korcula would be 1 too many for me, but that’s just me -- again, it depends on what you want.

One thing you might consider (I think I mentioned it already it?) would be finding time for an overnight visit to the Plitvice Lakes National Park.

No bad options here – just difficult choices, and I think your current plan has a lot of merit.

Enjoy!
Feb 15th, 2018, 01:52 AM

Krka would be a great addition if Plitviče is too long journey.
Feb 15th, 2018, 10:36 AM

Sounds good. Personally I think that 3 nights is one too many for Korcula - a full day there would be ample to see the sights.
Dubrovnik is beautiful but in reality the old town is quite small so I think the time you have allocated is ample.
I didn't really love Split that much, it was't terrible by any means but just not as nice as some of the other areas. Like you say though, it is a good place to use as a base. However, I would definitely try and take one of those nights and allocate it to make sure that I see Plitvice Lakes - it is a must see.
Enjoy.
Feb 15th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all! I will look at the Lakes and KrKa and see if we can make one of those work. I appreciate the comments and I'm really looking forward to experiencing this country.