Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia itinerary next week : help and suggestions please?

Sep 13th, 2019, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Dear friends,

I am aware I have arranged a packed programme but would appreciate any alterations,suggestions,tips.

I fly into DBV 18 th and fly out of Pula 29th. Realised cannot do islands and thus mainly a driving trip.Will rent a car.

So first my draft programme:
18 Reach Dbv around noon o/nDbv

19 A friend joins and o/n Dbv

20-Drive via Ston Brela to Split (Omis wd be too much?)o/n Split

21Was wondering of at least one boat trip and thinking blue cave ,Hvar islands day trip ? Would you recommend? O/n Split

22- If have not managed to see the palace in Split earlier,do that then via Primosten,Trogir to Sibenik

23 Sibenik then to Zadar.Promenade by evening.stay Zadar

24 Morning at Zadar then drive to Rastoke o/n Rastoke?

25 Early morning leave for Plitvice ,after day long walk in the park leave Plitvice early evening . I need to find a o/n stopover to be able to go to the Istrian mountain villages next day?

26 Motovun,Grozngnan,Hum.A Croatian friend said one can do a few in a dayQuestion do I stay back in a village or can reach Rovinj by evening?

27 Rovinj

28 Pula Porec

29 Fly out morning Pula

29 leave Rovinj for Pula to fly out

Welcome helpful adjustments .

INTEREST ALERT: I dabble in a bit of photography so again places,spots suggestions would be great.

Both me and my friend are not used to driving on the right side and worse ,not used to driving manual. Will hire an automatic which is expensive. Any company which is better in giving better prices?Can one get away as suggested by my friend saying will be one driver when we are two as that too is a considerable cost? Anticipating a dent or two may be wise,better to look for any type of insurance and zero excess and how one goes about as online seems standard third party? Where to pick up car in Dbv as will not be from airport.

Many thanks for your patient read in advance and your thoughts and suggestions or any completely different place aside from ones mentioned? Thank you.
Sep 13th, 2019, 06:58 PM
kja

Oh my gosh, that is a packed, rushed itinerary! And I say that as someone who is frequently criticized for packing to much into my plans.

Do, please, give serious consideration to cutting one or more of your destinations. IMO, places to consider skipping would include Ston, Brela, Omis, Primosten, and Rastoke. I'm sure some of these are wonderful, but you just don't have the time, and they aren't in the same tier as the other places you are hoping to visit.

I don't understand why you think having a car would help for the first part of your trip -- it will just mean that you need to deal with parking and won't be able to enjoy the stunning scenery.

Do not lie to any rental company -- if there will be two drivers, say so!

Here are just a few thoughts about your itinerary:

Consider making Lokrum your island time -- visit by boat from Dubrovnik. A half day is sufficient for most people, but you can spend as much time as you like, as long as you keep the schedule in mind.

Take the bus from Dubrovnik to Split, for your day trip to Trogir, to go Split or Trogir to Sibenik, and to go from Sibenik to Zadar. Don't hire a rental car until you leave Zadar.

Consider giving yourselves time to actually see Sibenik and Zadar.

Do you already have your tickets for the Plitvice Lakes? If not, are you sure you can get them? Do you have a back-up plan? And even if you have tickets, are you sure you can see all you want of the park if you get don't stay overnight either before or after? Have you considered whether you can finish your drives while it is still daylight?

For Istria, how many villages you can see in one day depends on your interests and preferences. If you already have a reservation in Rovinj, just make sure you leave your last village in time to get there. If not, make sure you know whether you can, in fact, get a room there or elsewhere.

Consider visiting Porec from Rovinj, rather than Pula.

Good luck!
Sep 14th, 2019, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kja for your detailed response. Is parking going to be a problem now in September too? I thought buses go by motorways so will not be able to see the scenery and thus thought renting earlier will help to enjoy the scenery and stop briefly at places?
yes I too thought we should not lie about drivers if more than one.
I shall check for tickets to Plitvice.Did not know they run out.
You helpful advice on parking has made me concerned. Maybe I will consider using buses until Zadar.
Sep 14th, 2019, 12:35 AM
kja

The views from the road between Dubrovnik and Split are, IMO, among the most stunning in the world. Sit on the left.

Parking can be a problem in just about any of these places. If you rent a car, make sure your lodging has parking OR figure out what you're going to do with the car before you show up.