Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croatia is letting Americans in? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-is-letting-americans-in-1682776/)

AP6380 Jul 15th, 2020 01:52 AM

Croatia is letting Americans in?

https://www.timeout.com/usa/news/cro...box=1594665005

i know it’s very unrealistic for Americans like myself travel far right now. Just keeping an eye on all the developments gives me hope. I suppose one of the issues with this is everyone reporting now it’s very hard to get a quick turnaround time on a Covid year. Also, I am wondering if upon return to the US, is there a quarantine?

hetismij2 Jul 15th, 2020 06:56 AM

Note that other countries apparently welcoming Americans such as Serbia are having a rise in cases right now.
I sincerely hope Croatia is not admitting Americans. Ireland has a huge problem with visiting Americans who refuse to self quarantine, and are worried about an increase in cases.
Stay home. One year of not travelling is not too much to ask is it? Better that than travel and not have any more years...

rialtogrl Jul 15th, 2020 07:29 AM

Croatia has been admitting Americans since May 11. Up until last Monday only proof of paid accommodation and a form to fill out were needed. Last weekend that changed, now US citizens arriving from the US or any other country not on the “safe” list need either a negative Covid test less than 48 hours old, or to self isolate for 14 days. They will still be let in, with the proof of accommodation and the form even without the test and only the promise to isolate. If you get a test but it takes more than 48 hours for results, you can still arrive in Croatia and self isolate until you get them, which does not make a whole lot of sense to me.

People arriving from the US do not have a lot to do with the high numbers in Serbia. Wedding and nightclubs are a big problem. Also they are testing a lot there. So far, only two Americans tested positive in Croatia, pilots who I heard came in a private plane, not commercial. But way less testing in Croatia, and most of it in hotspots.

rialtogrl Jul 15th, 2020 07:37 AM

One more thing to add.. in that article, it says you cannot cross borders which in some cases is true. But at the moment if you are in Croatia for 14 days, you can go to Italy, or to Montenegro. I think Greece too, and Albania. But this could change, just like the requirement of the 48 hour Covid test which went into effect at midnight on July 10 with absolutely no notice, though it was not really enforced until 13th, except for one chaotic charter coming from Kiev on Saturday. Good times.

hetismij2 Jul 15th, 2020 08:00 AM

Italy is not allowing US residents in. Thank goodness.

Fra_Diavolo Jul 15th, 2020 09:33 AM

Not sure "Ireland has a huge problem with visiting Americans who refuse to self quarantine"

"
Many people in Ireland say the government should be tougher about preventing travelers from bringing the virus into the country, but the government has tried to tamp down that concern. The Irish leader, or taoiseach, Micheal Martin, told Parliament on Tuesday that while there had been much conversation about American tourists, “the numbers are quite low coming in from the U.S.”
Simon Coveney, the foreign affairs minister, acknowledged on Monday that there was evidence of visitors who had ignored quarantine laws in the country. But he said just 200 to 250 people a day had arrived in Ireland from the United States, most of whom he described as “Irish people coming home.” Today's NYT.

If there is a problem with American tourists the solution is simple -- don't allow them in. But in the end I agree. Travel right now is selfish and reckless. Stay home.

rialtogrl Jul 15th, 2020 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 (Post 17129802)

Coming from the US, yes. Coming from Croatia, with proof of being in Croatia 14 days, US citizens can go to Italy.

MinnBeef Jul 15th, 2020 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 (Post 17129741)
Note that other countries apparently welcoming Americans such as Serbia are having a rise in cases right now.
I sincerely hope Croatia is not admitting Americans. Ireland has a huge problem with visiting Americans who refuse to self quarantine, and are worried about an increase in cases.
Stay home. One year of not travelling is not too much to ask is it? Better that than travel and not have any more years...

Are you actually claiming that Serbia and Ireland’s rise in coronavirus cases are due to us filthy, diseased Americans? Because without citing specific sources that back up your claims, you are being nothing more than a bigot.

MinnBeef Jul 15th, 2020 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by hetismij2 (Post 17129802)

There ya go. You’re an obvious Bigot against Americans.

JoyC Jul 15th, 2020 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef (Post 17130135)
Are you actually claiming that Serbia and Ireland’s rise in coronavirus cases are due to us filthy, diseased Americans? Because without citing specific sources that back up your claims, you are being nothing more than a bigot.

Thank you for calling her out, MinnBeef. Ive noticed from her recent postings her particular disdain on Americans traveling to EU. Another example of her post:

“Since there has been no announcement the existing restrictions remain in force. You cannot seriously think the EU would allow in US residents given the state of thing there right now.
Stay home, stay safe and keep us safe while you are at it.”

As if the Americans will be the sole cause of the rise in cases in Europe!

balthy Jul 15th, 2020 04:54 PM

Italy imposes a 14 day quarantine for travellers arriving from outside their list of allowed countries (mainly European countries plus Australia/New Zealand/Uruguay etc), this includes travellers starting their journey from the US. Nowhere does it say (unless I missed it) that US residents are not allowed into Italy. There are exemptions for business travellers.

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/ministe...in-italia.html

Croatia's entry rules are here-
https://www.koronavirus.hr/recommend...ate-border/736

The wording of the rules usually says "travellers originating from" or "passengers arriving from" rather than singling out specific nationalities. After all Americans live all over the world and those already resident in the EU would be allowed into Italy without quarantine.

MinnBeef Jul 15th, 2020 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JoyC (Post 17130148)
Thank you for calling her out, MinnBeef. Ive noticed from her recent postings her particular disdain on Americans traveling to EU. Another example of her post:

“Since there has been no announcement the existing restrictions remain in force. You cannot seriously think the EU would allow in US residents given the state of thing there right now.
Stay home, stay safe and keep us safe while you are at it.”

As if the Americans will be the sole cause of the rise in cases in Europe!

Thanks. I have no time for hate, bigotry and racism. We are not a perfect people but we are a good people. We’ve welcomed immigrants legally into this country for over a century and a half, including my grandparents from Italy in search of a better life. Tens of thousands of our citizens died to save Europe twice from totalitarianism. And when we travel today, we are typically good guests to the countries we visit. I’ll be damned if I’m going to accept bigotry and hate from someone who’d likely be living under totalitarianism today we’re it not for my country. She and others like her can just go to hell.

dreamon Jul 15th, 2020 09:10 PM

It is not bigotry to want to inhibit the spread of coronavirus by avoiding exposure to people from regions of the world where the virus is at very high levels with no sign of improvement. It's got nothing to do with whether people have historically been 'good' or not. Without a vaccine if we allow freedom of movement of people, we allow the virus to spread.

Tulips Jul 15th, 2020 09:25 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/w...uarantine.html

In recent days, dozens of Irish businesses — tour operators, restaurateurs and pub owners — have posted on social media similar stories about fending off customers who had just landed in the country but were ignoring directions to self-isolate. A national radio station interviewed Americans arriving at Dublin airport, some of whom said they had no plans to quarantine.

This remark;
“Since there has been no announcement the existing restrictions remain in force. You cannot seriously think the EU would allow in US residents given the state of thing there right now. Stay home, stay safe and keep us safe while you are at it.”
is very sensible and does not warrant the comments made by minnbeef about bigotry.

It has nothing to do with bigotry; if i see a post from someone in the US wondering if they can travel to Europe now, I think the same as Hetismij. Please do not travel to Europe at this moment, even if you are all 'good people'.

hetismij2 Jul 15th, 2020 10:57 PM

So you think I am a bigot for suggesting you and others do not travel this year? That some US citizens do not seem to understand this virus? That they seem happy to want to share it with countries that are still dealing with it, but have got it under control to a certain extent and would like to keep it that way? Fine I am a bigot.
Stay home. Most Europeans are staying in their home country this year. Why can't you?

What happens if you get Covid while in Europe? What happens if the European country you are visiting, or the area thereof you a visiting goes back in to lockdown? Travel insurance won't cover you, beleaguered European health services don't need you as another burden.
Your own government is saying do not travel. Heck even some states in your own country don't want you.

I am sorry for you that you have such a useless government, and that so many people seem to think they have some special forcefield around themselves and won't protect themselves and others. I am sorry you have so many cases, and so many deaths. But Europeans weren't (and still aren't) welcome in the US when the virus was raging here, so why should you be welcome here now?

Heimdall Jul 16th, 2020 12:05 AM

I am a US citizen with permanent residency in the UK, so follow the rules for that country rather than those for the USA, and would be free to travel around Europe with my US passport. Nevertheless, with the pandemic as it is I have no plans for travel in 2020.

I have never experienced the “hate or bigotry” MinnBeef accuses some Europeans of having. Perhaps if Americans wish to be welcomed into Europe, the USA should welcome Europeans into the US. That’s like saying “I want to come to your house but you can’t come to mine.” Since March the US has banned tourists from the EU and UK, and I haven’t heard of any firm plans to end the ban.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

When the US ends the ban on visits from Europeans, and gets the virus under control, Americans will be more than welcome to visit Europe again.

rialtogrl Jul 16th, 2020 12:09 AM

There is a reason Croatians are allowing US citizens in. They need the tourism. They need heads in beds, butts in boats, forks in mouths. So if a US citizen is willing to come to Croatia, with a negative test or even with a promise to get one once in Croatia or to self isolate, they will be welcome, believe me. The locals are willing to take the chance of losing a hospital bed to a traveler if it means there are 500 others eating and drinking and sleeping and buying things. Otherwise there is no food on the table this winter. It is up to the US citizen to think about their level of risk, getting the virus on the plane or getting the virus in Croatia from one of the many European visitors or from someone living and working in Croatia, and bringing it back to the US. But to say that Americans are not welcome in Croatia is definitely not true.

hetismij2 Jul 16th, 2020 01:53 AM

How many Americans visit Croatia? How many Europeans?

Just because they might let you in is it really sensible? Ask yourself that. One year without travel is really not too much to ask of anyone, regardless of nationality or place of residence.
My son works in tourism and is very badly affected by all this, and will not be allowed guests for the foreseeable future, and may lose his job because of it, yet he worries about the tourists in our town, about the risk of the virus flaring up again because of tourism, which will mean another year lost for him and definitely unemployment.

One year. Not much to ask is it?

MinnBeef Jul 16th, 2020 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Heimdall (Post 17130288)
I am a US citizen with permanent residency in the UK, so follow the rules for that country rather than those for the USA, and would be free to travel around Europe with my US passport. Nevertheless, with the pandemic as it is I have no plans for travel in 2020.

I have never experienced the “hate or bigotry” MinnBeef accuses some Europeans of having. Perhaps if Americans wish to be welcomed into Europe, the USA should welcome Europeans into the US. That’s like saying “I want to come to your house but you can’t come to mine.” Since March the US has banned tourists from the EU and UK, and I haven’t heard of any firm plans to end the ban.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

When the US ends the ban on visits from Europeans, and gets the virus under control, Americans will be more than welcome to visit Europe again.

Ok just STOP! I accused no one of bigotry other than the poster who said Serbia’s and Ireland’s spikes were caused by Americans, while offering no proof. Who separately wants to focus on Americans as the sole source of Europe’s virus spikes. Who then goes into rants on the US government, which is none of her damn business unless she is a US citizen.

I stand by my comments of bigotry towards this one hater and will not discuss it further.

raincitygirl Jul 16th, 2020 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef (Post 17130197)
Thanks. I have no time for hate, bigotry and racism. We are not a perfect people but we are a good people. We’ve welcomed immigrants legally into this country for over a century and a half, including my grandparents from Italy in search of a better life. Tens of thousands of our citizens died to save Europe twice from totalitarianism. And when we travel today, we are typically good guests to the countries we visit. I’ll be damned if I’m going to accept bigotry and hate from someone who’d likely be living under totalitarianism today we’re it not for my country. She and others like her can just go to hell.

I'll just address the last part of your comment....you make it sound like Americans single handedly won the war. Might I remind you that America was late to the party and we Canadians along with Aussies and New Zealanders were there before you. I get so tired of this narrative from Americans.