Search

Croatia in Sept Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia in Sept Questions

Hello Fellow Fodorites,
My wife and I are considering a trip to Croatia in early September. Our tentative plan is as follows:

Fly into ZAGREB - 3 nights(with day-trip to Ljubljana)
Fly into SPLIT - 3 nights(with day-trip to Trogir)
Bus to Dubrovnik - 4 nights(with day-trip and perhaps scuba diving/water sports in Mlini).
Fly home from Dubrovnik.
Now for the questions:
1. I understand that purchasing air tickets for flights within Croatia while IN Croatia, is much cheaper that from the USA(e.g., $40 from Zagreb-Split vs. around $200!). Has anyone bought air tickets when they arrived in Zagreb airport, for a flight a few days later? Is it too hectic upon arrival, or to risky to wait until we arrive in Zagrethere are only about 3-4 flights/day from Zagreb-Split)to get air tickets?
2. As we'll take the bus from Split to Dubrovnik - are there frequent enough buses between the two places, that we can just purchase tickets a day or two in advance? Are the buses comfortable enough for the 4-5 hour journey?
3. Regarding hotels, does anyone have experience with the following hotels?
Zagreb - Hotel Central or Jadran?
Split - Villa Anna or Kastel Split?
Dubrovnik - Adriatic, Lapad or Lero?
Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Larz
PS: When does it typically get dark in Croatia, in early September?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM

Our family visited Croatia and Slovenia on a 3-week trip in the summer of 2005, flying into Dubrovnik and home from Venice, Italy.

We spent 4 nights in Dubrovnik (2 adults, 2 teens) and rented an apartment that my husband found online. It was a few minutes walk outside the Pile Gate (the west entrance to the Old Town)and very convenient.(just down from the popular Restaurant Orhan Guest House) They do have apt. inside the walls also. Can't remember the name of the website, but if you are interested I can find it in my files.

Dubrovnik is lovely and we enjoyed our stay very much. Be sure to walk the wall and stop for drinks at "Buza" as this is probably the most scenic spot to relax, watch cruise ships and enjoy the scenery. It clings to the side of a cliff! Is a little tricky to find--there is a doorway in the city wall marked COLD DRINKS just up from the cathedral, behind St. Ignatius' Church.

We were not picking up our rental car until we were ready to leave Split, so we took the bus from Dubrovnik to Split and had no problems. It is a beautiful drive and went quickly and the bus was comfortable enough. (We always have a rental car so I was a little nervous about the bus--don't worry) If I remember, we stopped at bus stations along the way at least 2-3 times.

We left Split on a Sunday a.m. and didn't buy our bus tickets in advance and had no problem. From Dubrovnik to Split the buses leave almost hourly and I believe the buses from Split to Dubrovnik leave about every 2 hours, around 12 a day.

We did stay 2 nights at Villa Ana in Split and it is just lovely--nice clean rooms and modern bathrooms. It is a darling stone house and I would highly recommend this place and would definitely stay here again. We were there in July and it was very warm and they had great Air Cond. We had 2 rooms and all slept great! They also had a nice breakfast. It is about a ten minute walk from the bus station and the old town of Split (up a busy street but we found the rooms very quiet) so the location is ideal.

Can't help you with Zagreb as from Split we headed to Plitvice National Park and then onto Ljubljana and Lake Bled in Slovenia--they are all beautiful! From Bled, we drove onto Venice for 4 nights and flew home from here. It was a great trip and we would love to return to Croatia/Slovenia someday! Hope this helps!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:31 AM
nbujic

I don't know if this is still the case , but when I was in Croatia some years ago you could get a cheaper tickets within the country but only if you were their citizen.
Better check it with the Croatia airlines.

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM

This past October we flew from Dubrovnik to Zagreb for 50 euros per person. That way we were able to save an entire day for sightseeing rather than driving.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM

I took the bus last Oct. from Dubrovnik to Trogir. It was a 5-1/2hr. ride. The scenery was beautiful, but the ride itself was not great. It was hot and the ac on the bus barely worked. It was very crowded the whole way and some of the seats were in pretty bad shape, i.e, reclined but did not stay in upright position, or did not recline at all. It stopped at every little town and even picked up people on the side of the road. The sun beat down and the windows did not open and did not have shades. I would not do it again. I don't know this for sure, but I do not think there were more than a couple buses a day, going north at least. The bus I took, which I think was at 11:00 am, was supposed to be a "direct" bus, but as I said, it stopped many times.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM

Unless you have your heart set on a Ljubljana day trip (at least 5 hours will be spent getting there and back), you might consider visiting Plitvice National Park on your way to Split to break up that bus trip (if you do not fly). Plitvice is about 2 hours from Zagreb.
There are small towns in the Zagreb region that sound really appealing, like Samobar (I didn't make it there but wanted to. I loved Zagreb--try restaurant Stari Puntjar).
I stayed one night at the Hotel Jadran, but I cannot recommend it. The next night we contacted an agency that arranges apartment rentals and got a wonderful place: http://www.adp-glorija.com/kontakt.php
They do speak english, despite this website. In fact, I recommend renting rooms or apartments throughout Croatia. The affordable hotels are dreary.
Buses are frequent between Split and Dubrovnik and comfortable--the drive is gorgeous.
Split is a fine city, but you might consider staying somewhere you can take better advantage of the warm weather and sea in early September (An island between Split and Dubrovnik or somewhere along the coast)--and as you mentioned an interest in water sports.
Good Luck!
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM

Sunrise/Sunset/ Zagreb/ September:

http://tinyurl.com/24osrf
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your feedback.
The Villa Ana in Split does sound really nice. It is walking distance to Diocletian's Palace? What was the problem with the Hotel Jadran in Zabreb? For those who have been to both cities, is Ljubljana very different from Zagreb? From what I read and the photos I've seen, it looks like it would make an interesting day-trip(albeit a LONG day!)
Thanks.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM

Our experience in September two years ago was that the bus from Split to Dubrovnik was a delightful journey. We made no reservations, just went to the bus station, bought tickets and waited for the next one to depart. Perhaps we were lucky, but the bus was very modern, clean, and apparently safe. I think the air conditioning did work, but then it was September, and it was not needed.

Try to get seats on the right hand side of the bus going from Split to Dubrovnik, as the views down the cliffs to the sea side villages are magnificent.

I might suggest that three days is a bit much for Split, even with a day trip to Trogir. You might consider a fast catamaran ride out to Hvar town.

Whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time in Croatia.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM

Does anyone know if there is a flight from Venice to Ljubljana, Slovenia? I am trying to figure out how to get to the port at Koper for a cruise and I am having a horrible time trying to figure out the train schedule. It is so confusing!!!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:55 PM
nbujic

Ljubljana is smaller than Zagreb and feels a bit like a small town in Austrian Alps.
Zagreb has more of Austrian-Hungary city
atmosphere .

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:44 PM

We were in Croatia in November and bought tickets from Zagreb to Dubrovnik, in advance via Air Croatia's website, for approximately 40 euros per person. You don't have to wait until you get in Croatia to buy them, and I personally would much rather have the reservation with me when I arrive.

As for Zagreb, we really liked the city but I felt like a day, or even half a day, would be sufficient. Its an interesting city with some neat things to see, but the real beauty of Croatia lies elsewhere. Ljubljana was a beautiful and charming city, although it too is small.

If you have the time, I can't recommend a daytrip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik enough. The views of the Bay of Kotor were just stunning, and the town of Kotor was very nice and pleasant.

Tracy
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:46 PM

I also should mention that we didn't really like Split. It gets mixed reactions on this board; some people love it, others don't. We just felt like it lacked a lot of the charm that other towns in Croatia had. I'm not saying don't visit; just a heads-up. I personally would reverse it and stay in Trogir and daytrip to Split. Trogir is small but its full of charm. I do agree with the above that three days in either is a little much though.

Tracy
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
nbujic

Split is a city of more than 300.000 people -sure it is different than small towns .I like it a lot.
Trogir is charming, but after a few hours we were glad to go back to Split.

Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:34 PM

Larz--Villa Ana is only a ten minute walk to Diocletian's Palace and the old town so it is very convenient. We did enjoy Split and spent 2 nights here, but I agree that it does lack charm.
Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 07:09 AM

Larz, the Hotel Jadran in Zabreb wasn't terrible, but after staying in wonderful apartments throughout Croatia it was a letdown. I generally avoid hotels when I can help it, and I do not hold them to high standards in terms of amenities and such. I just prefer charm--which the Jadran lacked. But it is in a really good location, so if you are finding it a good deal don't let me scare you off. I have a feeling you can get something nicer at an equivalent price however.
The apartment we rented was in an old building in a leafy residential area and was huge. Before we took that one, ADP showed us a brand new townhouse that was affordable but not walking distance.
I always try to stay at least 3 nights whereever I go. While you can certainly see the "sights" in each place in much less, that gives you time to explore the vicinity and get a feel for the place.
Good Luck!
Zagreb: http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr//?i...nav=&solo=
Split:
http://www.visitsplit.com/index.php?opt=map&lang=2
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:52 AM

Dear Latz,
I can recomend you a privately owned apartment in Old Town in Dubrovnik which was amaizing when I went there. Name was apartment Tramontane.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all once again for your feedback.
I suspect that we are going to have a fantastic time in Croatia (Hopefully the airfare will come down by September!) Villa Ana sounds real good. I will also be looking into some apartment options, as well as standard hotels, especially in Dubrovnik. Has anyone visited the Roman ruins at Salona (on the way from Split to Trogir)?
Yorkshire - thanks for the websites. I also like to stay a few nights in places I visit. It allows time not only to see (and photograph, of course!)the major sights, but time to slow down and absorb the history, culture and ambiance of the place.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Lars,

When we were in Dubrovnik we stayed at a fabulous, and cheap, place and I would love to recommend it to you. We stayed at Villa Adriatica and loved it. We found the recomendation here on fodors and were so happy with our stay. First of all, the location is absolutely superb. Its literally just outside of the Ploce Gate, one of the two main gates into Dubrovnik. There is a bakery next door and all of the attractions of Dubrovnik are just steps away. We had a lovely room with nice antique furniture and an ok bathroom. But it was the balcony with the view that made this place. We had a million dollar view and spent each night on our balcony gazing at Dubrovnik glittering in the sea. The owners live next door so its fairly quiet. While not a full apartment, guests do have access to a living room and kitchen. If you are expecting luxury, this isn't it. But if you want a nice, comfortable room in an excellent location and even more excellent view, this place is amazing.

Here is the website if you are interested:

http://www.dubrovnik-online.com/villa_adriatica/

Good luck and happy planning!
Tracy

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Tracy,
Thanks for the recommendation. That name sounded so familiar, and then I realized why - I had emailed them a few days ago - and they are booked already!
Have you heard of either the Villa Ragusa or Amoret apartments? They're both inside the walls and look really nice. Since looking at a map of a place can be deceiving regarding distances, is Dubrovnik relatively small and compact? Would an apartment located anywhere within the walls - be a safe bet - as far as its "walkability" (I question if such a word exists, but it sounds good!) to all the sights? Also - if we come by bus to the Dubrovnik bus station outside the Pile Gate (I think)- is it "do-able" to just walk into the old town, to the apartment?
Larz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -