Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croatia in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-in-november-369757/)

lgminva Oct 19th, 2003 06:28 AM

Croatia in November

Need assistance in planning for Dubrovnik to Split or vice versa (if easier). Places I want to go include Korcula and Hvar (suggestions on "must see, must stay at?) More scenic to bus from Dubrovnik to Split and then ferry to Hvar or is it better (and logistically possible) can you go from Korcula to Hvar then to Split. Suggestions for time to allow in each place would also be helpful.

Judi Oct 19th, 2003 11:26 AM

Hi lgminva,

I'm topping this because I am also interested in the answers to your post.

I asked about Dubrovnik in November about a month ago and received 0 answers. I checked virtualtourist.com and got some information there.

I am so excited to be going to Croatia!

Have a great trip!

Deborah Oct 20th, 2003 09:40 AM

Let me see if I can help a little bit. I did the bus ride up to Split from Dubrovnik (about 4 hours) and the ride is lovely. Get a window seat on the left side of the bus for the sea view. I took the ferry back down. You can take the ferry from Split to Stari Grad and also maybe to Hvar, but I don't know about bus service in off season. It's my understanding the town center is quite a way from where the ferry docks in Hvar. You can get bus service from Stari Grad to Hvar. Do a search on this forum for Mark's trip report. He just spent a lot of time in Hvar and his report is very thorough. If you do the ferry from Split to Dubrovnik, I believe you can make a stop in Korcula at no extra charge.

marktynernyc Oct 20th, 2003 10:41 AM

When I was in Dubrovnik last year a couple in the next room/terrace had driven along the coast from Slovenia and they thought that Dubrovnik really was the jewel of the Adriatic. While in Hvar this year I met a couple who were taking a ferry from Hvar town to Dubrovnik. Another couple was taking the ferry back to Split to get to Bol. I'm guessing ferry service and boat excusions will be limited - check the Jadrolinja website and email Atlas tours. (Some people took the Atlas excusion from Hvar town to Bol instead of going back to Split)

Deborah is correct about the ferry landing in Stari Grad being way outside the town of Stari Grad - however I noticed plenty of taxis waiting as I moppeded by.

What else? Korcula is wonderfully laid out but a bit run down - I would think one night would be sufficient. I know nothing about how things are in Hvar in November - I'm guessing quiet - which could be really relaxing and great.

If it was me - indulge me please - I would start with Dubrovnik (5 days? not sure what you goals are) - bus it to Korcula, stay one night and either go up to Split then ferry over to Hvar or see if there is boat service from Korcula to either Stari Grad, the town of Hvar or maybe even Jelsa. As for number of days - Dubrovnik had plenty to see for a week while in Hvar I focused more on relaxing (sort of). Then ferry back to Split and fly out of Split.

OF COURSE you could fly into Split - ferry to Hvar then ferry to Dubrovnik (saving the best for last). I only got to see the coast line from Dubrovnik to Korcula but even that was beautiful.

Hoped I've help and not muddied things up more.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Carroll Oct 24th, 2003 09:12 AM

We just recently returned from Croatia. We did not go to Korcula or Hvar, so I can't help there; however, we did take the bus from Split to Dubrovnik, and, in my opinion, it is a ride not to miss. The views were spectacular, and our bus was not very crowded, so my husband and I each had a row. We enjoyed both Dubrovnik and Split, but Dubrovnik was my favorite.

Musis28 Apr 23rd, 2005 01:38 PM

Hi...I would love to do this trip as well, but how is it in November? Will things be open? How about the weather?

GeoffHamer Apr 23rd, 2005 02:13 PM

The tourist season will be over in November, and most hotels and restaurants on the islands will be closed. Jadrolinija maintain pretty reliable ferry services to the islands. The coastal service between Dubrovnik, Korcula, Stari Grad and Split runs twice a week in winter, but there are local ferries daily from Split to Stari Grad and Vela Luka (on Korcula island). You can see the current winter schedules on www.jadrolinija.hr.

metlc Apr 23rd, 2005 06:52 PM

Igminva,

November should be a good time. You can go anywhere and be confident that there will be plenty of SOBE to rent.

I can't imagine that the weather would be all that bad (unless you want to swim).

We were there in October, which I think is about the perfect time to visit.

cruisinlivin Mar 7th, 2007 01:10 PM

Hi,

Thanks for starting this thread.

We will be traveling this Summer. We are interested in getting from Split to Dubrovnik, how much was the bus? Did they take Eurail pass for discounts? How far in advance did you reserve your ticket?

cruisinlivin Mar 7th, 2007 01:33 PM

This is a link to a review of touring the area.

http://www.igotfresh.com/findfresh.htm

LAZnSTEVEgo2HR Mar 8th, 2007 10:46 PM

Hi Igminva,
My partner and I did something similar from Split to Dubrovnik, using Hvar as a stepping stone. Before I continue, we rented a car (it's very easy to drive in Croatia), and we went in the Summer, so perhaps your modes of transportation in November might be limited, and Hvar might be shut down for the season. We took a ferry from Split to Stari Grad, and then drove to Hvar town. A few days later, we drove to the eastern part of the Island to take a ferry from Sucuraj to Drvenik on the mainland, then drove south to Dubrovnik. On this part of our overall trip, we spent 1/2 a morning in Split to visit Diocletian's Palace, one of Croatia's "greatest hits", 3 days on Hvar, and 4 days in Dubrovnik. When we got to Dubrovnik, we returned our car, and took boats to other points of interest. I'm sure you can do this trip in the reverse as well. One thing that made our trip easier was what I call a "triangle trip". From the US, we flew into Zagreb, and then flew out of Dubrovnik, back to the US, so it simplified our trip in Croatia by not having to back track. Hopefully, you came across my trip report that I just recently posted, called: "Revised flawless trip report: Croatia", that might help you.

Good Luck! Laz