Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

croatia in late april; safe for solo women?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive traveled a lot in western europe but never eastern (past greece and the greek islands) and am planning a trip in late April for about a month- Im looking at Croatia, Czech Republic but also going back to the Neitherlands, France and Switzerland (where I have been before a few times)
Is Croatia or the Czech any different than western europe? will I be safe traveling solo as an young American women? anything I should be catious of or do different?

thanks!
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM

Croatia is breathtaking and totally safe. I went there 2 years ago for 3 weeks after travelling in France and Italy. I found the streets in Zadar so clean you could eat off them. The scenery was breathtaking. I have been to the French Riviera , the italian Riviera and now the Croatian Riveria and the Croatian Riviera wins hands down. That's where the Italian's vacatian cause it is so beautiful and cheap in comparison to the rest. The islands are amazing: Hvar, Dugiotok, Korcula. The water is warm and turquoise blue. The people , the culture, the ruins are all there waiting for you. I can't wait to go back. Once North Americans discover this beautful place it will become no different than the French Riviera-expensive. So enjoy it now !
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 12:55 AM

I am a female and went to Dubrovnik alone last March. It was beautiful and I never felt unsafe or in danger. Have a good time.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:37 AM

The Czech republic is fine for a woman traveling alone - no different than western europe. The tourist infrastructure is good, english is very widely spoken, and it's substantially less expensive than London or Paris.

Have a great time!
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM

I'll add my endorsement that Croatia is probably one of the safer countries in Europe, east or west. If you felt safe in Greece, you'll feel great in Croatia. Like the others, I love the scenery, the people, the waters of the Adriatic, the islands--what's not to like? I have had some wonderful personal experiences in Croatia that have reinforced my belief that the people there are among the friendliest and warmest in the world. Good luck.
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

exactly what I was hoping to hear-- whats the best way to get to croatia?
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 09:49 AM

Notice how many more posts there are becoming about Croatia? Go there quick... it's going to get very popular.

Interestingly, I found that in 2003 there were 14 million German tourist nights spent in Croatia, and 166,000 American tourist nights. But that's changing.

Last summer I (spending 10 of those American tourist nights) started in Rovinj on the Istrian Peninsula, then took a ferry from Reijka (bus from Rovinj to Reijka) to Dubrovnik. Then I flew from Dubrovnik to Zagreb, trained to Ljubjlana and Bled (Slovenia), and trained back to Milan, then on to Locarno and the Engadin. It was all very easily navigable... and I did most of it solo).

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

where did you fly in and out of? milan?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:04 AM

Addwag, Because my trip was extended, I flew into Milan and out of Zurich.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:18 AM

Like the others have mentioned, Croatia is perfectly safe. I've been there many times and have never felt unsafe.

Also, a lot of ways to get there is to do a plane change in London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris and from there you can fly directly to Croatia.

The best way to get a good deal on airfare is contacting a travel agency that specialize in Croatia travel.

Like Grasshopper said, go there now before it catches on!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

can you recommend a travel agent? ideally i'd like to spend about a week to 9 days there, it would be a rather short trip.

also any budget type places to stay?

thanks to all
[email protected]

(ps I bought a lonely planet guide but the locations mean little to me)
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 06:57 AM

addag:

Here are three agencies that specialize in Croatia travel.

www.adriatictours.com (Los Angeles)
www.panadriatic.com (New York)
www.adriaticsunshine.com (Chicago)

Which cities/towns are you planning on going too?

nina

Old Jan 21st, 2004, 04:47 PM

Addwat - Try Paul Laifer Tours www.laifertours.com and see what they can offer. We were pleased with what they put together for us.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 04:24 AM
CFW

We are thinking about a trip to Prague & Dubrovnik (and surrounding areas). How will the weather be in September or October? We want to avoid the heavy tourist season in Prague but want to travel when it is still warm enough to perhaps enjoy the beach. thanks for any tips!
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM

It is the safest place to be! Just come and enjoy, the more of you here the more you will talk how beautiful our country is, the less questions like yours
Enjoy your stay!