Croatia in early June

Nov 15th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Croatia in early June

Hi, we are planning a 12 day trip to Croatia in early June 2016. We are in our late twenties and its our first time there. Would appreciate any and all suggestions with our itinerary. We would like to spend some time in Dubrovnik, visit Budva and Ostrag Monastery in Montenegro. Day trip to Korcula, Hvar do a wine tour, spend few days in Split with a day trip to Venice, maybe do a tour of the blue cave, and spend 2-3 days in Zagreb. is this doable or too rushed?
Nov 15th, 2015, 10:59 AM
kja

For my tastes, what you are describing is too rushed. I'm not sure all of it is possible -- can one actually visit Venice from Split as a day trip?

I recommend that you get some good guidebooks or spend some time with a few in your local library (I found the Rough Guide the most useful, by far, of the half dozen I used when planning my time in the area), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Only then can you see what you can do.

It's a beautiful area -- enjoy!
Nov 15th, 2015, 11:46 AM

In my opinion, way too rushed. And Kja gives some great advice on planning.

What are your reasons for visiting Zagreb? Not saying it isn't worthy of a visit, just that it is not typically a popular destination. If you have your reasons, go for it. Otherwise, take those 2-3 days and spend them elsewhere.

I'm not sure there is a direct, quick route to Venice from Split. You can ferry from Split to Italy, I believe...but it would not be to Venice. Just for point of reference...ferry from Venice to Pula (Istria - north of Split) is at least 3 hours, so 6 hours roundtrip. By the time you get to Venice from Split (however you will go), you will need to turn around and come back. Unless you plan on taking a flight? Even if, still not sure it would be worth it for just a day. And, don't underestimate Venice's crowds...it will likely be crowded in June.

Also, how are you planning to travel between towns? Rental car? Public transport?
Nov 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

flying in and out of Zagreb. Thinking of catching a flight with local operator to and from the coast. Yes we could rent a car. Venice is not a must just a thought. Our plan was to base ourselves for 4 days in Dubrovnik, take a day tour to Montenegro, and Korcula. Drive to Split, use that as a base to do daytrips to Hvar, do vineyard tour, blue cave, and Krka NP. That would give as a few couple of days in Zagreb, check out the city and perhaps surroundings.
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:51 AM

this sounds like a great plan for me
you will have the opportunity to see most of the diversity of Croatia... and you will have a lot of fun
my suggestion is, first to fly from Zagreb to Dubrovnik and then to start exploring from there... all the way to Zagreb
don't miss Plitvice lakes, this is the most stunning and most unique place in Croatia
wherever you go, in different regions you could have a wine tasting tour, or cheese tasting... you have great oysters in Dubrovnik area (Ston)...
surroundings of zagreb is very interesting, especialy for wine tours or castles...
in a such a short period I'll suggest you to have a Private guided Tour, so you'll be able to see much more in the same time and be more relaxed all the time... it is possible to have a day or 2 days sailing boat trip, including blue cave!
there is possibility to include even one day trip to Venice ;-)
Jan 5th, 2016, 07:00 AM

Travel_Nerd said for Zagreb:
"...that it is not typically a popular destination..."

it is SO WRONG!! haha
Zagreb was chosen as THE BEST Christmas destination IN EUROPE for the year 2015.
But I can understand that people who are not familiar with Croatia consider Croatia just as a coastal country.
Croatia is much about diversity and Croatia is a way more than just the coast... every small region has its own specialties, natural and cultural sites, different building styles... Every 100 miles you can feel like you are in different country
Jan 7th, 2016, 02:54 PM

Max_cro, please do not split hairs over wording. Look up the word "typically."

Fact of the matter is, it is not "typical" tourist destination - at least for many travelers from North America. I did NOT say it was not worth going to. That is NOT what I said, so please do not interpret it as such.

I say the same thing about Frankfurt, Germany. Are you going to jump my frame for saying that, too? Many people have the same opinion of both cities. Others do not. For what it's worth, it is MY opinion on Zagreb. Yours is different. Fine. Good. Offer your opinion, but you don't need to attack me for my personal opinion of that city.

Please quit trolling on this board.
Jan 7th, 2016, 03:48 PM

I'm not a fan of Zagreb either, especially since the rest of your destinations are near the coast. Split has a biggish airport, Dubrovnik a smaller one.

Are you planning on using public transportation or maybe renting a car at least for part of your trip?

You can travel by boat (or bus) from Dubrovnik to Korcula (which I loved, finding it supremely relaxing), then on by boat to Hvar and Split.

Have you considered Plitvice? A beautiful park, with lakes of different ethereal blues, stair-stepping down with waterfalls between. It's a bit inland but so well worth the trip.

If you omit Zagreb and Venice, you'll have time to do justice to this beautiful area.
Jan 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM
kja

I agree with Mimar about some things -- I, too, loved Korcula and the magnificent Plitvice Lakes -- but I disagree (sorry, Mimar!) on a few other things -- I thought Zagreb very pleasant and would not think you could do justice to Croatia, even if you omit Zagreb and Venice, as there is simply too much to savor there! (But in fairness, I doubt that Mimar meant you that could do FULL justice to the area.)

Again, I think you would do well to consult some good guidebooks and
Jan 7th, 2016, 04:10 PM

I agree that you should drop Venice. So often when traveller's comment that they hated Venice, it almost always turns out that they visited it as a day trip from somewhere else. Venice is worthy of more time than a day trip will allow.

Search this Thread