Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Croatia in 10 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-in-10-days-964411/)

beckys Jan 25th, 2013 09:21 PM

Croatia in 10 days

We are planning on visiting Croatia in June for 10-12 days.We will fly into Zagreb, but from there not sure where to go. We have 2 teenagers. We were thinking of renting a house and driving to different locations, but not sure how feasible this would be. What are the best places to visit and how long should we plan to spend in each town.
I know we want to go to Plitvice. I am thinking Dubrovnik is a must, but Istria sounds great too.
This is our first time overseas. Any advice is appreciated.

kja Jan 25th, 2013 09:30 PM

Croatia is a very large country that cannot be seen from a single base (or even two or four...!). You might want to invest in a good guidebook or two to get some sense of which regions you most want to see and then come back with more specific questions. I think you'll find that you have many wonderful options to pursue!

LittleVicky Jan 26th, 2013 03:42 AM

For a start, will you leave from Zagreb? Look at Via Michelin to get an idea of distances.

bilboburgler Jan 26th, 2013 06:37 AM

I'd go down to the coast and look at island hopping. There is a good thread ongoing about these ideas from 2012

bilboburgler Jan 26th, 2013 06:39 AM

Here it is
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...niacroatia.cfm

yorkshire Jan 29th, 2013 09:41 AM

Ditto--will you depart from Zagreb? Let us know when you know if you have 10 or 12 days to work with.

beckys Feb 2nd, 2013 01:55 PM

We will have 10 days.Departing the US 6/6, with plans on returning to the states 6/17.
Arrive in Zagreb- 2 nights in Zagreb
Drive from Zagreb to Split ( stop in Plitvice)
Split- 2 night
Hvar-3 nights
Dubrovnik- 3 nights,
Depart from Dubrovnik for US.

Does that sound like enough time in each spot to see the major attractions?
We will probably drive from Zagreb to see the village my ancestors are from.

danon Feb 2nd, 2013 02:12 PM

sounds good to me

kja Feb 2nd, 2013 02:40 PM

Sounds good to me, too!

One minor tweak you might want to consider would be to add a night in Plitvice. One can spend as little as an hour or two at the lakes, but I think most people opt for 4 to 6 hours. (The park rangers have plans for 2, 4, 6, or 8 hours and will work with you to tailor something to your time frame if those plans don't suit. Or at least they did when I was there.) As I recall, I spent about 6.5 hours there and loved every minute.

It's a beautiful country - enjoy!

thursdaysd Feb 2nd, 2013 03:03 PM

You definitely need at least one night at Plitvice. I spent two, and was sorry to leave. You don't need three nights in Dubrovnik.

HappyTrvlr Feb 2nd, 2013 03:31 PM

Dubrovnik is a worthwhile stop but quite small.

kja Feb 2nd, 2013 03:47 PM

> You don't need three nights in Dubrovnik.
> Dubrovnik is a worthwhile stop but quite small.

True - but I don't think one needs 3 nights in Hvar, either! And I found Dubrovnik a better base than Hvar Town. From Dubrovnik, one can take a day trip to Montenegro or Mljet or Ston or...

If the OP adds a night in Plitvice, I would think cutting one from either Hvar or Dubrovnik would be reasonable, depending on their priorities.

Filip12 Feb 17th, 2013 04:25 AM

hello,
the best is to stay in Zagreb for a day then go to Zadar or some of beautiful islands that surround it.
from there you can go to Split or Trogir for day or two then to Dubrovnik if you need help I can make you all itinerary
For teenagers maybe to stay at some festival arraund Zadar

Filip12 Feb 17th, 2013 04:42 AM

suggestion
stay in beautiful hotel in Zagreb for one night, hire a car,
2 day go to Island Ugljan near Zadar stay there for 3 day to see kornati national park an to feel the charm of beautiful islands, 4th day arriving to Split it is only 2 hours with a car. Stay in Split in a hotel for next 3 days, after that go to Dubrovnik approximately 4 hour with a car stay 2 day that is enough Dubrovnik is small town then go to Makarska for two or 3 days there the teenagers will be happy from Makarska you can go to Split airport then home. that is an idea