Croatia cruise last week of October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been dying to visit Croatia, specifically Dubrovnik,Split and Hvar for years. I think I want to do a cruise but the only date that works for multiple reasons departs from Venice on Oct 21. Since it's quite pricey am I wasting money by going so late in the season? I don't have plans to go swimming but don't want it to be cold, dreary and gloomy. A few years ago I was in Venice in mid October and had to buy a sweatshirt (airline lost luggage). Yay or nay on this Seabourne cruise? Earlier dates just don't work out and there is not an itinerary with those exact destinations for 2012.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
kja

I can't answer your question about the weather - I trust others will jump in. But are you committed to taking a cruise? Dubrovnik, Split, and Hvar can be easily visited without a cruise using ferries.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

I just really like the idea of an organized tour, don't feel like planning every stop and transfer. And there aren't any land tours that visit the places I want to see in the time we have(we only have 7-8 days).
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM

We did a two week cruise last year during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November. We departed from Venice, visited Croatia, a few Greek Islands, Athens, Turkey, etc. and back to Italy, ending in Rome. I had your same fears about weather so late in the season. We wanted to go earlier, but couldn't, so like you, we went anyway, hoping for the best. Though too cool for swimming in most places, IMHO, the weather was absolutely perfect for walking.

Our experience plus others:
Rainy and cool in Venice and Naples. As soon as we left Venice, everything brightened. Dubrovnik - very warm & sunny - most folks did not even wear a jacket or sweater. The rest of the trip was exactly the same - summer-like weather.

However, the cruise just before ours (had departed from Naples and ended in Venice with the same itinerary in reverse) had lots of rain and stormy weather and was unable to dock in Croatia. Many on that cruise were unhappy about the situation, but, of course, nothing could be done.

So, that is the problem with a cruise. If it has to skip a port, you don't get a second chance to visit it at that time. If that is the only time you can go, you really want a tour of some kind, and you can live with that possibility, then go for the cruise.

I do not know the truth of it, only hearsay, so you might check it out, but I heard people saying that you had better luck with weather in mid-Novemeber than with late October. We certainly did.

I would do the cruise, but I am sure people who have traveled in that area more could tell you how to do it on your own without being on a tour.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Sassafras, that is super helpful. Thank you!!