Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   croatia (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/croatia-785386/)

eg60 May 19th, 2009 09:27 AM

croatia

Visiting Korcula
We will be driving from Cavtat to Split and had hoped to visit Korcula. Is this doable in a day? thanks

Dubrovniktravelady May 19th, 2009 11:16 AM

Takes about 2 hours to get to Orebic on the Peljesac peninsula. You can leave your car there and take the small ferry across to Korcula. Or you can take the larger car ferry across and drive the island, which is absolutely lovely. Do try to spend some time on the peninsula, there are some wonderful wineries which produce our Dingac wine from the Mali Plavac grapes.
If you're driving to Split, do think about staying in Trogir a much better choice than staying in the city of Split. It's a wonderful small picturesque town which is charming. You can make Split a day trip from there, it's just a short drive.

Dobrodosli u Croatia

julia_t May 19th, 2009 11:38 AM

I drove from Dubrovnik to Split via Korcula, almost in a day!

I left Dubrovnik around 9.30am, drove along the Peljesac Peninsula to Orebic. Parked the car and took the ferry across to Korcula. Actually the foot ferry wasn't there at the time so I went on the car ferry and got a taxi the other side into Korcula town.

I had about 3 hours in Korcula town before it was time to get the foot ferry back across, and it was just about enough time.

I then drove across the Peljesac Peninsula to Trpanj and got on the car ferry to Ploce on the mainland. It was now about 5.30pm. This was October and getting dark about an hour later, so I did not drive all the way to Split that night, but stopped in Brela for the night and proceeded to Split the next morning.

In high summer with darkness falling later you could easily get to Split by nightfall.

It makes for a long day, but is well doable, and I recommend you try it.

RayKrebs May 21st, 2009 12:58 AM

I suppose it is possible, but will be a very long drive. The drive from Dubrovnik to Split direct takes about 4 hours. The additional driving and ferry time to Korucla and back to the main road is about 3 hours. So, that's 7 hours of drive time and then add to that however long you plan to stay on Korcula. If you spend 3 hours there, then you could do the whole trip in 10 hours...a long day, but certainly possible.

julia_t May 21st, 2009 08:07 AM

As I wrote above, if you CROSS the Pelsesac Peninsula between Orebic and Trpanj - which takes barely half an hour, and take the ferry (one hour) to Ploce, you DON'T have to drive back down the Peninsula to Ston and then backtrack parallel up the mainland coast.

I left Dubrovnik around 9.30am and arrived in Orebic not long after 11am. The ferry to Korcula went around mid-day and took something like 20 minutes, then the taxi into Korcula town was 10 minutes. The foot ferry back left Korcula harbour before 3pm - can't remember exactly what time, and I drove across to Trpanj and got in the queue for the ferry to Ploce. You cannot pre-book this so do allow a bit of time. According to the timetable I must have got the 4.30...

http://www.korculainfo.com/ferries/ploce-trpanj.htm

It was very quick away from Ploce on to the Adriataic Highway, and I stopped in Brela about 2 hours later having detoured through Makarska. Next morning it barely took an hour to drive on into Split.

So how long did I spend driving that day? Not more than 4 1/2 hours, plus an hour for the last bit Brela-Split. OK, factor in an hour on the car ferry and a bit less than an hour for the ferries to Korcula.

It IS quite a long day, and I was alone, but I didn't find it excessive, and would definitely do it again. I only stopped overnight in Brela because I didn't want to be driving into Split in the dark and trying to find accommodation as I'd nothing booked.

You don't say when you are going, but if in high season I would suggest leaving Dubrovnik earlier though and bringing the ferry times forward to be sure of getting a place on the ferry and arriving in Split before it gets too late. (I did this trip right at the beginning of October but it was still pretty busy on the roads.)

eg60 May 21st, 2009 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info. We are doing this part of our trip on Sept 27th. We have accommodations booked in Split for the evening, Dominis apt. (through clicksplit.com ). The apt is in the center of Split. Our next hurdle is to source out parking.