Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   critique Tuscany & Amalfi itinierary please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/critique-tuscany-and-amalfi-itinierary-please-373092/)

Aleta Nov 1st, 2003 12:43 PM

critique Tuscany & Amalfi itinierary please

With hours of reading this site, and being most grateful for the detailed reports of so many posters, I have come up with this itinerary. I would welcome anyone's insight.

1. Sunday 4/11: (Easter) arrive US to Gatwick, then fly into Pisa at 3:30 , go to hotel in Lucca: La Luna
2. Monday 4/12: tour Lucca, lunch with Italian cousins. Stay to avoid holiday traffic
3. Tuesday 4/13: early pickup of rent car, drive to Siena via San Gimignano, Colle di Varo, possibly Volterra. Siena Hotel: Chisurelli.
4. Wed 4/14 to Sat 4/17: Tour Siena, day trips to Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza, Arezzo and Cortona as we have time or desire.
5. Sun 4/18 Early drive Siena to Pompeii, arrive there around noon. Tour 1/2 day, then drive to Positano. Hotel: Pasitea
6. Mon 4/19 early drive to Salermo to turn in car, since office closed on Sunday. Hydrofoil back, stopping at Amalfi.
7. Tues & Wed mainly relax for remainder of trip.
8. Thurs somehow get Positano to Naples for noon flight to London (????)

Note: we have rent car for more days in Siena than we need, but it's cheaper to keep it for the duration.

bobthenavigator Nov 1st, 2003 01:06 PM

I like it---nice trip.
You can return the car in Sorrento and bus back home in less time--unless you just want the hydrofoil trip. I am not sure how often they run in April--and weather can be a factor.

dln Nov 1st, 2003 01:56 PM

Aleta, the only suggestion that I can offer would be to take it easy on Saturday. Make it a slow, relaxing day because Sunday will be a long one between all the driving you have to do before and after Pompei, and touring Pompei itself. We found Pompei so interesting that we ended up staying there almost five hours and arrived very late (and very tired) at our destination of Sorrento. You might do the same, so be well rested!

wondering Nov 1st, 2003 02:30 PM

i think you will like having that car in tuscany. siena is a pain when it comes to the train. it sounds like a great plan btw.... try not to drive in the dark to positano....that highway can get scary i think.

arkhan Nov 1st, 2003 08:52 PM

volterra and san gigminano...spoleto in umbria......get my vote of italy best places to go

Huitres Nov 2nd, 2003 02:08 AM

I agree with DLN, Pompeii takes a VERY long time to see as it is so spread out. We based outselves in Salerno and took a bus out there and, despite being there for over 4 hours, still missed an entire quadrant of the ancient city!

Alternatively, I would drive down from Siena to Positano, spend day seeing Positano, perhaps even Amalfi if time. Then perhaps next day get up early and drive to Pompeii and see it then with more time on your hands. Then you can return your car in Salerno on Monday.

ira Nov 2nd, 2003 03:00 AM

Hi Aleta,

I suggest that you try to get to Paestum to see the Greek ruins before going back to Salerno to turn in the car.

You can then take the bus back to Amalfi and then on to Positano.

I recommend that you take a private limo from Positano to the Naples airport. We used Renato Cuomo
www.cuomonet.it and were very pleased with the price and the service. Others might give you different suggestions.

ira Nov 2nd, 2003 03:01 AM

PS

Great trip.

Aleta Nov 2nd, 2003 12:03 PM

Pointing out problem of long drive and Pompeii on same day is excellent. Will try to re-think this section. We are trying to benefit from having the car to visit Pompeii. It looks like Salerno is best place to return rent car and get to Positano, but maybe you think Naples is best?
I really don't want to have to drive in Amalfi or Positano at all, the problem is not being able to turn rent car in on a Sunday afternoon. I'd love to find a place to park it in Salerno and come back on Monday to turn it in. We could stay somewhere near Pompeii one night, but it does seem nice to unpack in Positano and stay put.
Thank you for taking your time to evaluate our plans and share your experience.
I've already heard from Renato Cuomo. He charges 80 euro for Positano to Naples. Giancarlo charges 95 Euro. Both were prompt to reply.
Aleta

Aleta Nov 2nd, 2003 12:09 PM

Bob: I just read your suggestion of turning in rent car in Sorrento and taking bus to Positano. I'll check into this alternative now. You think buses run into the early evening?

dln Nov 2nd, 2003 04:26 PM

I think combining Huitres' and Ira's suggestions might make a workable solution for you. Drive on Sat. directly to Positano. Enjoy the afternoon after your long drive! Get up early on Sunday and see the Greek ruins before turning in the rental. From Salerno, take the bus to Pompei. Expect to arrive home late. Sleep in Monday morning; you'll have deserved it.

Aleta Dec 11th, 2003 01:54 PM

This last suggestion is so logical, I am ashamed I didn't think of it in the first place. I am sure this will be what we do, and my husband will be eternally grateful for my not pushing him to excess.

dln Dec 11th, 2003 02:04 PM

Thanks for the compliment, Aleta. My husband and I did the Amalfi Coast the hard way (talk about pushing yourself!) and I'd hate for anyone else to do the same. Trust me, your husband WILL be eternally grateful! And you'll both have a better time, too.