Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Critique our Spain Itinery? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/critique-our-spain-itinery-381740/)

zootsi Dec 11th, 2003 05:14 AM

Critique our Spain Itinery?

We are plaaning out 9 nights in Spain for the end of March, and would love some input on this itinery:
-Fly into Madrid, staying 2 nights, possibly at the Suecia. We want a place close to the museums, in a nice area, but not too expensive - does the Suecia fit the bill?
-Catch the AVE to Seville for two nights, possibly at the Amadeus.
- Upon leaving Seville, rent a car and drive to the white villages, staying two nights, possibly in Rhonda? From here we would do a fair amount of exploring and hiking.
-Drive east into the Alpujarras, stay at a rural inn for 3 nights. We would use this as a base to explore and hike the mountains, spend a day at the sea, and do a day trip to Granada. Is it feasable to easily get to Granada on a bus from a rural village? I've heard that driving into Granada is not fun.
- Fly out of Malaga
This plan leaves us with a free night - we were thinking either of Cordoba as a night stop on the AVE or Cadiz via car after Seville - which would you choose?

patg Dec 11th, 2003 06:49 AM

Driving to Granada is not a problem; the difficulty is driving within the city itself. You can park fairly easily near the new science museum, and take cabs if you don't want to navigate the Gran Via. The bus station is not centrally located.

RobinBinNYC Dec 11th, 2003 07:05 AM

I would take the extra night/day in Seville - I was there for five days and it wasn't enough!

car Dec 11th, 2003 08:41 AM

zootsi
Madrid, The Suecia is well located and probably fits the bill? the only latest comment I have read lately is that it might need a lifting.
Cath the AVE to Sevilla stay at the Amadeus, fine.
Rent a car and driving through white villages, isntead od two nights in Ronda I will rather stay one in Arcos and one in Ronda. But two in ronda is also fine.
"Driving into the Alpujarras and staying in a rural inn for 3 nights".
Either you have a very clear idea where you are going or you need some homework.
As one day at the sea, a bus to Granada for a day trip from a rural village instead of driving and parking the car in town and hiking in March in Sierra Nevada, needs good information.
If you know the place where you are going to stay in the Alpujarras ask them what is the local sightseeing or mention your ideas asking for a local opinion.
For your extra night I will take one more night in Seville or Malaga.

weber6560 Dec 11th, 2003 09:15 AM

Re Ronda: Take a look at the Molino del Santo in Benoajan just outside Ronda. Super place in a small village. Popular with hikers, naturalists etc. Provides hiking routes etc.

re the Alpujarras: Check out the Rustic Blue web site. It's a group specializing in the Alpujarras and has a wide variety of rentals available.