Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Critique Germany, Italy/ Austria Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/critique-germany-italy-austria-itinerary-571817/)

wren Nov 19th, 2005 05:32 AM

Critique Germany, Italy/ Austria Itinerary

Here's my first draft and I would love comments from anyone who might have suggestions:

Fly to Frankfurt, get car
4 nights Beilstein to explore Mosel/Rhine area
1 night Rothenberg
3 nts Bavaria Hohenschwangau or Fussen
3 nights Castelrotto
2 nights Salzburg area
2 nights Munich
fly home

Wayne Nov 19th, 2005 06:56 AM

With what information you have provided, and without any knowledge of your interests, my comments are:
-3 nights would be enough for me for the Mosel/Rhine, and I would spend all of it on the Mosel.
-1 night is plenty for Rothenburg.
-Depending on what you want to do in Bavaria, you can certainly spend at least 3 nights in the area, possibly adding the one you dropped from the Mosel/Rhine.
-Unless you want to drive around the Dolomites from Castelrotto, 3 nights might be one night too much.
-I would take one of those nights from Castelrotto and add to Salzburg.
-Munich, of course, like any of the others you have named, is worth a much longer time to really know the city. But assuming this trip is for the purpose of a broad brush of several places, your time in Munich is OK. I might consider adding a night to Munich by robbing one of those above. Good luck.

wren Nov 19th, 2005 07:41 AM

Thanks, Wayne. We really prefer the small towns and villages to the cities, and that is perhaps why I planned the way I did. I do think that maybe adding an extra day to Munich might not be a bad idea though. I was unsure how much time we would want to spend in the Mosel/Rhine, knowing that we would want to see both areas and not wanting to go too quickly through them. So 3 nights is adequate then? We do want to take daytrips from Castelrotto and I assumed we would explore the Dolomites as well as heading south to see what that area looks like. 3 days seems like too much?

wren Nov 20th, 2005 02:08 PM

Anyone have a place they love in Salzburg for less than 125 euros? I am still thinking about Bob the Navigator's suggestion about staying in St. Gilgen.

saraallison11 Nov 20th, 2005 04:52 PM

We stayed at Haus Lindner in Salzburg and would stay there again. We loved it for several reasons, among them: it felt homey and authentic; the family was nice; the view was great; the price couldn't be beat; breakfast was provided. It's right near a train stop and only about 5 minutes by train to the city. The house is situated on top of a large hill with a view of the Alps. If you decide to stay there, be sure to have Frau Lindner pick you up at the train stop with all your luggage, or else you are in for quite a climb. There is a bus stop very near, as well, only about a 5 minute walk. This place was very cheap when we stayed there, definitely under your request. I know they have a website, but I can't remember it or seem to find it. However, this is not a luxurious place; it's for the budget-conscious. If you're looking for nicer or more in the city center, this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for peacefulness and simplicity, I think you'll like it.

AisleSeat Nov 20th, 2005 06:41 PM

I have never been to Castelrotto, but being that close I might just spend a night in Venice. In Salsbueg we like the Weisses Kreuz and the Goldenen Ente.
The Weisses Kreuz, under the fortress, a block from the Dom, runs 66-90 euros for a double, [email protected].
The Goldenen Ente is a 600 year-old building on a pedestrian street in he altstadt. Doubles are 79 euros, [email protected].

AisleSeat Nov 20th, 2005 06:43 PM

"Salzburg" (pardon my bad typing)