Critique general plans for month-long trip in 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dates not set yet - thinking of leaving the last week in April / first week in May and staying for right around a month.

Day 0 - leave the U.S. for London
Day 1 - Arrive London, feel worthless and accomplish nothing!

Days 2, 3, 4, 5, 6: London

Day 7: Travel to Amsterdam

Days 8, 9, 10: Amsterdam

Day 11: Travel to Paris

Days 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17: Paris (not willing to cut this any shorter; we ADORE Paris! Daytrips to Versailles and Champagne region)

Day 18: Travel to Cinque Terre (long day!)

Days 19, 20: CT

Day 21: Travel to Florence

Days 22, 23: Florence

Day 24: Travel to Rome

Days 25, 26, 27, 28: Rome

Day 29: Leave Rome for the U.S.

------------------------------

Does that look like a pretty good plan? We don't really like being too rushed - we stay busy but also like having time to sit in cafes, eat leisurely meals, and people-watch. I know I could fit more cities in there, but I don't think I'd want to. On the other hand, CT and Florence especially will be fairly rushed, but I think we can handle that. I only gave 4 *full* days to Rome (plus the half day we'd have after getting there from Florence) because Rome, for whatever reason, does not appeal to us as much as other places (although we've never been there) and it seems so hectic that I'll be ready to leave it after that amount of time.

--------------------------------

Budget (only the big stuff, nothing in here for sightseeing):

Airfare for 2 next year: $1800
29 nights at $170 per night: $4930
Transportation within Europe getting from city to city and to London and Rome airports: $880
Food ($125 per day for 2 people - $15 for breakfasts, $30 for lunches, and $80 for dinners): $3500

Grand Total = a hair over $11,000.

-----------------------------------

Finally, a single question: What is the best and/or cheapest way to get from Paris to the CT, and how long does it take? Will it be a good 12-15 hours of travelling, (or god forbid, even worse)?

THANK YOU ALL FOR ANY OPINIONS / HELP YOU CAN GIVE!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that I will be 25, and DH will be 30 (not sure why it would matter much, but if it helps someone make suggestions, great!). We like a really good balance of museums/sightseeing with low-key activities, and we're both in good physical shape. My favorite part of the trip will likely be the food. Take away the scenery, the history (my major in college), and all else, and I'd still probably have a great time just eating in Europe!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:06 AM

I think you might even get that $900 airfare for next year if you use a consolidator or aggregator and book it early enough.

I would at least consider flying on EasyJet from Paris (Orly) to Pisa and taking a train from there to the CT if the flight schedules are convenient.

You could use www.skyscanner.net to check for other possible budget routes/carriers.

I'd also consider flying from london to Amsterdam, again on EasyJet.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:42 AM
ira

Hi tara,

If Rome is not all that appealing, why not go to Venice?

You can fly Paris Orly to Venice VCE on www.myair.com.

You could then visit the CT and Florence and fly home from FLR or Pisa PSA.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 04:47 AM

I'm not sure I agree that Rome is any more "hectic" than anywhere else...I think it is what people DO/DON'T DO there which drives the pace of it..but I agree with Ira that you might consider Venice instead...totally DIFFERENT experience from Rome.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:32 AM

That travel day to the CT is a killer. I would stop in Nice for a nite, or perhaps Menton.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:40 AM

I agree that you should reconsider going to Rome if you are not really drawn to it. Italy has many other places to offer, large and small.

Venice might be a nice substitue, but I would recommend considering a night in Verona on the way.

You should consider flying from Paris to Genoa or even Milan to get rid of that killer train trip from Paris to CT. It will take hours and hours, even if all the connections are reliable.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:42 AM

PS: If you choose to go to Venice, I would end the trip there, and give yourselves the Mediterranean break in the middle.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM

I think you have a great itinerary, although I'm not particularly drawn to Amsterdam, so I would substitute Venice for Amsterdam and definitely keep Rome. So you see, different people will give suggestions based on what they are drawn to!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:36 AM

If you love Paris, you will love Rome. We also had a vague idea before going that it was a crowded, unappealing place. It's an incredible, beautiful city. Just be sure you stay in the historical center. Venice is also a very special experience.

How exciting to have a whole month in Europe!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Well, we would go to Rome because it's a top pick for my DH. Make no mistake, I'd like to see it too, I'm just not as excited about it like I am with other places. I even majored in History, so you'd think it'd top my list, but I'm not nearly as interested in the Roman Empire / Birth of Christianity time period as I am in others, and at the risk of offending some posters here, DH and I are not especially religious. I am sure we will find much to love about it, though! We both are head over heels in love with Paris. We could spend the whole month there and be happy, but a month in Europe has been our dream that we've thought about and saved for for a long time now. I want to make the most of it without being tooooo rushed.

I'd rather save Venice for another time, but we'll see... depending on how transportation to the CT works out, I may cut the CT and just fly from Paris to Venice, and then go on to Rome. We'd *really love* to see the CT, though, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the cost of flying a budget airline from Paris - Pisa/Genoa/etc. is not too prohibitive.

I already checked into some of the other legs - we will definitely fly from London to Amsterdam, and then possibly take the Thalys (spelling?) train or fly from AMS to Paris. Getting to the CT is the only part that seems difficult.

Thank you all for your responses thus far!!! If anyone has anything more to add, I'd *love* to hear it!

Also, how does my budget look? Airfare is obviously very hard to predict, but what about my lodging/food amounts?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:33 AM

"If you love Paris, you'll love Rome."

I totally disagree. I adore Paris, do not like Rome at all. I can appreciate its wealth of offerings but I just plain don't like being there...at all. And I do think it's more hectic than other places, and that has something to do with my dislike for it. It's more than hectic; it borders on frantic.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Hmm, now that I'm thinking about it, if we cut the CT, we would most likely have time to go London-Amsterdam (maybe cut one day in AMS?)-Paris-Venice-Florence-Rome.... allowing us to see the Big 3 of Italy.

The CT appeals to me for its gorgeous scenery, and because it would be a nice break from the big cities. I have this dream of eating gelato while hiking between the towns, and seeing olive trees and gorgeous vistas, and eating incredible food for much cheaper than in the cities, and sipping limoncello in the warm night air. All of this may be incredibly romanticized and not true to how the CT would actually be.

I would love to see Venice, though, and have more time in Florence...

If you could choose between keeping the CT or cutting it, which would you do?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM

If you "dream of eating gelato while hiking between the towns, and seeing olive trees and gorgeous vistas, and eating incredible food for much cheaper than in the cities, and sipping limoncello in the warm night air" -- go to Camogli, not Cinque Terre, and hike from there to Portofino through the national park. Nobody goes (everybody is jamming into Cinque Terre) and the gelato in Camogli is better. ;-) You can take the ferry back.

Limoncello is not native to Liguria (it is native to the Amalfi) but I've tasted very good limoncello in Camogli at a restaurant called Da Paolo.

Food is not necessarily cheaper outside the big cities of Italy, since inside the big cities (as in the US) you have a multiplicity of eateries cetering to every budget. In the smaller town, most people eat at home, so ristoranti tend to be for an "occasion." That said, throughout Liguria you can find inexpensive foccacierie, spaghetterie, et cetera et cetera, and simple meals, pulled fresh from the sea that morning or plucked from the vine, simply taste better than what you find in the cities.

Camogli is 30 minutes south of Genoa.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:02 PM

I agree completely with St.Cirq. I LOVE Paris, but can barely tolerate Rome. Venice is such a charming city and would be more convenient from CT.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Topping my own thread - sorry to be a board-hog, just looking for a couple more responses about CT (or other small coastal area) versus being able to fit in the Big Three.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 03:20 AM

Now to balance the Rome bashing-
Rome is the most fascinating city in the world!If you have even the faintest interest in history,you will be completely turned on!There is more beauty per square inch-it more than balances the city stress.Beauty Beauty Beauty!It's certainly much easier to appreciate in the spring than in the heat and crowds of the summer.

This is just one person's opinion.(By the way,Beauty beauty beauty in Venice,too.)