Search

Cristmas markets in Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cristmas markets in Vienna

Hello
We are going to spend a weekend (3.5 full days) in Vienna during December and would be happy to experience Cristmas markets or streets with special decorations. I would be happy to know which of the following below is best to be during day and which is best to be during dark ? also, what is dark- 17:00 PM?

I thought of going to:
Rathaus market
Graben street
Kohlmarkt street
Freyung market
Maria Theresianplatz market
Belvedere market
maybe - Spittelberg and/or Schonbrunn
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:11 PM

The market by the Rathouse is the BIG Vienna market, and it's really wonderful. You can spend hours looking at all the booths, sampling the foods, drinking the hot mulled wine, and watching entertainment. We went in the afternoon and again one evening, and the evening was the most fun.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Sorry: Rathaus market misspelled.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
what is evening - 20:00 PM? I saw the sunset is around 16:00.
no point of going to markets before 17:00 (not for buying things)?
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM

I have been to the Rathaus and loved it. If it is cloudy or snowing the lights are one during daylight and they look amazing.
I starts getting dark around 4 pm and by 5 is dark.
I think it is just as pretty in daylight as in darkness but that's my opinion.
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

I have 3.5 days so thoguht of one evening to Rathaus , one evening to Freyung and one evenign to Belvedere. If there will be a nice day I might go in the half day to Schonbrunn.

However, I don't know if I should go to Maria Theresianplatz market or can skip it. We will be on our first day in MariaHilferStrabbe so my wife could do some shopping and I guess we wil lfinish it around 16:00. Can or should we do Maria Theresianplatz market and Rathaus market or only do Rathaus market? We usually do things slowly, stop at cafes.
I can also come to Maria Theresianplatz during daytime or skip it at all if it not such unique. what do you think?
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
bat - I've not been to Vienna in the winter, but i have been when it's been cold and wet [in July, ha!] and i would definitely factor in some sightseeing as well as the markets so that you can get warm.

our favourites were the Hofburg and Schoenbrun palaces - if you buy a "sissi" ticket at the Hofburg it will get you into the Schoenbrun for free, which is a great advantage. They both have lovely cafes which is a help!
Old Oct 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

You are right! The point is that I'm afraid that in Schoenbrun area it might be too cold since it is in an open space with a lot of winds and some alking from the tram/subway to the palace itself. So I thought of going there only if the is a nice day.
As for Hofburg is it beautiful inside? I'm not so into historic places unless it is very beautiful. So I read over the internet that Belvedere is a must see palace, is it? and it can be combined with the christmas market there..

As for other places I thought of taking a guided tour in the Parlament, Opera and maybe the "Golden Hall" of Wein Concert. As a big fan of coffee shops and cakes I thoguht of going for 2 coffee shops each day.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 04:51 AM

hi bat - you may be right about the Schoenbrun but we didn't find the walk from the u/bahn too long, and believe me it was cold and wet enough to be December!

The hofburg is beautiful and the exhibition about the Empress Sissi was one of the best things we saw in Vienna, as well as being very helpful in increasing our understanding of the history of the area.

The Belvedere is an art gallery/museum of course and we went for that reason - I remember the art better than the building to be honest and apart from the Klimts I don't remember that very well! It would certainly be worthwhile combining it with a trip to the Christmas Market.

only 2 coffee shops a day? you slacker!
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 01:18 PM

Some impressions by a resident close to various Christmas markets.

Schonbrunn makes for a nice visit .
You can see the Palace itself - a good tour and of course indoors and warm.
The Christmas Market in the areas in front of the Palace is a perfect venue - fine kiosks with nice wares - wood objects, glass,Christmas gifts, decorations honey , schnaps, chocolate and varios foods- hot soup, hot wine , punsch , filled potatoes and more - immediate adajcent a cafe / restaurant to get warm if cold serving full meals, hot soups etc.
The area especially nice in early evening with lights. a large Christmas Tree and usually good music.
This cortyard is essentially surrounded by the Palace and outbuildings so less subject to heavy blowing wind.

Market at Freyung - find situation in the city center. Fine hans made goods - painted decorations, glass items , painted wooden gifts. They have a nice small stage that offers music each day.

Kiosks with punsch, hot drinks, other foods.
A favorits stop off spot for workers as they pass by.
Punsch stands can be filled ,

No need to walk a long way from the Ubahn stops of Line U- 4 .
If you take U-3 UBahn line to the westbahnhof- exit outside on the ground level and slightly tom the right you will find Streetcar# 58-
This stop is the terminus for this line . Simply take this streetcar several stops to Schonbrunn Palace.
The Schonbrunn stop is just across from the main Palace entrance area - a two minute walk - crossing the main boulevard there.

Many have different opinions of the Rathaus Market-
large but many goods are cheap imports, old gingerbread , cheap decorations .
This not the best market for shopping.
Fewer visitors by day - you can see more then- but a night worth a visit to look at lighting displays in the samll parks to each side of the market and views to the Advent windows above in the windows of the Rathaus/ City Hall.

Just across the Ringstrasse is Cafe Landtmann- great to relax and have adrink or food.

Note it will be dark by 4:30- 5

Wear good warm boots, good hat and you feel warmer- the hot punsch will help you stay warm and also help to keep fingers warm as you grasp the cup.

I city center you find many Punsch Stands- many for charity- gathering places for local workers- by Graben are several- Kiwanis- Lions

at Michaelerplatz several more Hospital etc.

Fun to have a drink admire the lighted buildings and street decorations.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 02:05 PM

bat - I too was going to mention the Christmas Market in front of the Schoenbrunn palace mention of which i came across in the Hotel Austria newsletter that I still receive.

it looks lovely and Molker has provided you with the best way to get there!

sounds like you'll have a great time.
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 03:46 PM

We were in Vienna last December and visited some of the Christmas markets. I guess it depends on your purpose. Are you interested in buying unique gifts made in the area? We found the market at Schoenbrunn to be the best of any Christmas market we visited. We also liked what was called the Natural Market. The market at Rathaus was beautiful at night, but the goods seemed to be mostly cheap and imported.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

ok..so Schonbrunn is much better than Belvedere (i.e. the christmas market the the palace itself)? So I'll make that effort. Probably comes there around 16:00. I'm not indending to buy many presents but only to feel the atmosphere. During the first day We are going to be in the morning in Mariahilfer Strabe so I guess there is s point to get there afterwards...right?