Crime In Scotland

Jun 8th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Crime In Scotland

I read with sme surprise earlier today that the UN considered Scotland the most violent country in the world. My GF and I are planning a trip next yeat to the Isle of Skye. Should we have any concerns about walking the streets safely.
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:56 AM

Where did you read that?
Jun 8th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I haven't seen the report, but it probably refers to big cities and even then, only parts of big cities.

The only thing that will attack you on Skye will be the midgies if you go at the wrong time of year
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM

Probably is because of rampant crime in the housing estates, like in the U.K. as a whole - i've seen statistics that U.K. crime rate in higher than that of New York City - lots of car stealing in housing estates and lots of cell phone thefts have boosted rate apparently. In any case i feel a thousand times safer in any U.K. city than in any large american city. So i think the crime rarely affects tourists and i'd put any angst to rest.
cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow also have some of the highest drug addict rates in the world and that always translates into thefts to support habits even though U.K. i believe has drug maintenance programs.
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Here's where I read this.....mostly just young punk stuff I suppose...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...786945,00.html
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Just goes to show statistics can prove anything. The UN study was based on a telephone survey: who knows how and where they selected their interviewees, or how representative they are of the general population of Scotland. If there's an issue, it's almost certainly predominantly around the big cities and the drinking and fighting classes there.

Would the rates of murder and gun crime in Detroit and the New York of yore have justified not visiting Yellowstone or Yosemite?

I'm assuming posting a work address means this isn't just a troll, so let's just say you'll have trouble finding many streets in Skye, given the slight scarcity of large cities there, let alone get involved in someone else's punch-up.
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Points well taken. Just thought I'd ask...never been there before.
Jun 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM

You are much less likely to find yourselves in the worst council estates (public housing) in Glasgow than you would in the worst parts of NYC or Chicago or Oakland.

Jun 8th, 2006, 12:15 PM

But it's more than that.

I've spent a moderate amount of my life in and around Glasgow and Edinburgh housing estates. Never had a moment's trouble. Actually used to have more trouble with Scots when they got off the overnight train in London and trawled nearby streets looking for trouble in the days there used to be an annual England-Scotland football game.

Scots' propensity to inflict lethal pain, especially after a pint or ten of heavy, is almost always exercised on other Scots, at least in Scotland.

Incidentally, any aspiring Sherlock Holmeses out there might try tracking this alleged survey down. For all that Mr Murdoch's organ published UNICRI's press release about it, UNICRI seems not to be prepared to publish the actual results of a survey they still claim "will be carried out in 2004-5"

Could it be they're embarrassed at the patently idiotic "finding" that Scotland's more violent than Jo'burg?
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:21 PM

And Edinburgh seemed to me such a quiet and safe place...
Jun 8th, 2006, 12:55 PM

You have more to fear from the food in Scotland than you have with crime. The Scottish diet is definitely the worst in the world
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Well, regardless of killer midgies, bad food, rain, or nasty old Scottish thug women with unbrellas roaming the streets of Skye pummeling unsuspecting tourists into submission and stealing rheir tennis shoes, we're still going next May. And we can't wait!
Jun 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM

<< And Edinburgh seemed to me such a quiet and safe place... >>

Burke & Hare, Trainspotting & Inspector Rebus.

How could you have thought Edinburgh was such a quiet & safe place
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM

With some difficulty I found it, but I can't open the data file to see what it says

I don't one should scoff at statistics but this is such mince, I think I would really like to undestand the context.
Jun 10th, 2006, 10:06 AM

The Isle of Skye is not Edinburgh or Glasgow - it's a bit like being worried about crime in New York when you're actually going to P'town [assuming that my impressions of Cape Cod are not entirely off-beam]. Just don't watch any episodes of "Taggart" before you go.