Cribs in French hotels?

Jan 31st, 2002, 07:20 PM
kim

Cribs in French hotels?

We are planning a trip to France in May with our (then) 13 month old daughter. Having never traveled with a baby, I wasn't sure how 'available' cribs are in hotels.

Does anyone have advice on chains or specific hotels that should be able to provide a crib? We will need to find hotels in the D-Day beach/Normandy area and the Toulouse region that can provide a crib (we are staying with relatives in Brittany in between these two regions). Any hotel recommendations that should be able to confirm a crib in these areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Kim

Feb 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
Christina

I'm not sure as I haven't had to search this out, but I think you'll have ok luck in the larger and higher-end hotels. Perhaps in some smaller ones, I just don't know as much. I know the Hilton near Eiffel tower does, and I suspect the Holiday Inn Republique; the Hotel Washington Opera does (all these are 4-star). I think you might have luck with the Libertel French hotel chain as they are a good chain with smaller hotels with some local character and they tend to be advanced about some things (disabled rooms, nonsmoking floors, etc). see www.libertel-hotels.com You might consider one of the Citadines "apartment-hotels" -- they are rather modern buildings with studios to apartments and I know they provide cribs, changing tables, other baby equipment and the kitchenette might be useful. They are moderately priced. www citadines.com or www.apartmenthotels.com

Feb 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Ursula

Kim: I am European and from my experience a lot of hotels have cribs, even the smaller ones. Maybe not the very small ones with only 10 or 20 rooms. After all, a lot of people travel with very small children.
Of course you must ask to be sure. I don't think that's a problem at all, really.
Sorry, I don't have specific recommendations for the areas you intend to stay.

Feb 1st, 2002, 06:41 PM
xxx

When travelling with my baby I requested a crib at a 4 star hotel. When they brought it to my room it was disgusting. It looked like it was 20 years old and hadn't been cleaned in that entire time; further more it wasn't really a crib, but a "playpen". Yuck.

Feb 1st, 2002, 08:25 PM
Leslie

20/20 or Dateline did a story on cribs in US hotels and motels -- mostly large, well-known chains. The results were appalling -- non-hygenic, poorly made, cribs in all forms of disrepair, sharp edges, peeling and chipping paint, splinters, and sheets that were too big that could suffocate an infant. Why don't you buy one of those portable, light-weight fold up ones and bring it with you? Do your relatives in Brittany have a crib? Also, are there lead paint laws in Europe? I certainly would not want to put an infant in a crib that is coated with lead paint.

Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:16 AM
John Bermont

One of the best gifts we ever received was a portable crib; our daughter used it all over Europe. This thing folded up and fit into a nylon sack about 10" in diameter and 3' long. It was safe, with a fine mesh siding, and was so handy. Your child will appreciate a familiar bed every night.
John Bermont
www.enjoy-europe.com/cds/france.htm

Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:05 AM
xxx

Perhaps the hotels are trying to tell you something.

xxx

Mar 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
kim

I would look into Novotel (www.novotel.com) if you are looking for a chain. They seem to be very family friendly.

Mar 5th, 2002, 01:02 AM
Marcia

Kim, AVOID hotel cribs, especially out of the country. They are quite nasty & very old. I learned the hard way when we traveled throughout Europe and Asia. Unless you are staying at a Hilton, Hyatt or 5 star hotel. I agree with John Bermont's advice. Bring your own clean & modern mini travel crib.

Mar 5th, 2002, 03:57 AM
amazed

Please tell me Kim, and I am not trying to be rude but genuinely curious, WHY are you taking a trip to France with a 13 month baby?

Mar 12th, 2002, 05:31 PM
kim

Amazed,
Many people travel with children of all ages. If you ever look at the Rick Steves travel site you'll see it is full of tips and stories from parents who travel with their children (and babies even younger than 1 year as well). My husband and I love European travel and we plan on traveling extensively with our children. But since you asked, the main purpose of this trip is to visit close relatives who live in France. We will take advantage of sightseeing the few days before and after this visit, which is why I posted here.

Kim

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:42 PM
Veteran

Kim:

We traveled all over Europe with babies and toddlers and sometimes snagged a crib and sometimes didn't. When we didn't, we put the baby in bed with us - if that isn't an abhorrent idea to you (and judging from some of the opinions on this board about traveling with kids at all, I suppose it might be), do it. As at least one other oster has noted, sometimes the "crib" is worse than baby sleeping on the floor (which we've also done, with a small sleeping bag). Babies are easy-going. As long as they're safe and comfortable and you can watch over them, they don't know whether they're in a crib or not, so don't worry about it.

Mar 13th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Kim

Veteran and others:
Thank you very much for the response. I will hope to get a good, safe crib at our hotels. If not, I have no problem putting my baby in bed with me. It wouldn't be the first time!! You are right that I really shouldn't be that worried about it. Thank you.

Thanks to the other 'positive' responses as well. We are looking into the Novotel chain. It looks like they are geared towards families.

No thanks to [email protected] who thinks hotels are trying 'to tell you something'. I feel sorry for you having such a negative attitude. From my experiences, Europeans love children and I'm sure our child will be very welcome everywhere we go.