Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crete to Santorini: Which Ferry? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crete-to-santorini-which-ferry-880011/)

CaptCanuck Mar 1st, 2011 08:11 AM

Crete to Santorini: Which Ferry?

Hi again Greek Experts,

I was just continuing my planning for our July trip to Greece and noticed that when we leave from Heraklion to Santorini, there are two ferry choices for walk-on (as listed on greekferries.gr):

8:15 am departure on Superjet or a 9:45 am departure ont the FlyingCat4.

The Superjet departure is already available for purchase on the date we are travelling.

1. Is there a 'better' choice between these two options?

2. And if Superjet is the better choice, should I already go ahead and book it through this website? I guess the FlyingCat4 wouldn't be available for purchase until April right?

thanks as always for any advice!
cheers,
CC

GeoffHamer Mar 1st, 2011 08:43 AM

According to the schedule on Seajets' website (www.seajets.gr), it's the MEGA JET and the departure time from Iraklion is 0830. The MEGA JET is much bigger than the FLYINGCAT 4 (www.hellenicseaways.gr).
Neither sailing will be fully booked now or in April, so I can't see any need to rush and book.

brotherleelove2004 Mar 1st, 2011 09:12 AM

Since your plan is to travel in July it would be adviseable to book well in advance since July is the busiest month and demand is at its highest.

You can book the FC4 on the Hellenic Seaways website http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/index.asp?a_id=219 and pick up your tickets at the port or you can book on the Amphitrion Holidays website and pick up your tickets when you first arrive at the Athens Airport from their travel desk in the Arrivals Hall between Doors 2&3.

Although the MegaJet is larger than the FC4 the SeaJets company does not have the best record for reliability.

The Meltemi Winds will be at their strongest in July so be prepared for rough seas. The MegaJet will provide the most stable ride. If you sit along the ship's centerline the side-to-side rocking motion will be kept to a minimum.

CaptCanuck Mar 1st, 2011 09:30 AM

Thank you both! And thank you for all those additional details brotherleelove2004! I think I will wait for the FC4 schedule to come out in April then and book with them since I'm all for reliability! Do you think the port will be too busy for ticket pick up compared to an airport pick up? or is it well organized for it?
thanks again,
CC

brotherleelove2004 Mar 1st, 2011 11:06 AM

The schedule is actually out now but booking isn't available yet. http://www.ferries.gr/hfd Pay careful attention to the "No sailing" dates.

Port pickup in July can be chaotic since it's the busiest month and there will be a lot of people milling around trying to buy tickets. I'm not sure how busy Heraklion will be, probably not too bad, since there are a limited number of departures from that port. If you want to pick them up there just give yourselves an hour before departure, that should be plenty of time regardless of the size of the crowds.

stanbr Mar 1st, 2011 12:19 PM

Actually we purchased tickets for Flying cat 4 In Heraklion last June. The ticket office was supposed to open at 8:30 for the 9:45 departure however the ticket agent did not show up until close to 9. Now it was early season,there were only about 10 of us in line, and he did process us all in time for the departure. Presumably they will be a bit more punctual in high season however I would vote for picking up your tickets at the airport and not at the Ferry Port in Heraklion.

wildblueyonder Mar 2nd, 2011 02:40 AM

Sorry to hijack your thread, Capt Canuck, but this is of interest to me also - so thanks for asking!

brotherleelove, I was going to book our ferry ticket (Heraklion to Santorini) from Hellenic Seaways website, but, after reading stanbr's post, maybe it would be better to buy from Amphitrion Holidays and pick up at the airport! We actually arrive at Athens airport on 18th June - but our ferry won't be until 25th June. Will they still have our tickets at the airport?

Many thanks.

Heimdall Mar 2nd, 2011 02:52 AM

The advantage of booking with Amphitrion is that their ticket booth is in the hall just outside Arrivals at the airport, and is rarely busy. The advantage of booking directly with Hellenic Seaways is that if there is any problem with ferry cancellation (weather, etc), or you change your plans, you can exchange your tickets at any Hellenic Seaways agent on the islands. In either case you will be given a reference number which you use to pick up your tickets when you get to Greece. :-)

CaptCanuck Mar 2nd, 2011 07:17 AM

No worries Wildblue..I was wondering the same thing myself!
cheers,
CC

brotherleelove2004 Mar 2nd, 2011 07:57 AM

"Will they still have our tickets at the airport?"

Tickets will not yet have been generated. You will provide them with the confirmation info they will have sent you and they will issue your tickets on the spot.

wildblueyonder Mar 3rd, 2011 01:29 PM

Many thabks guys!