CRETE-SANTORINI Greece_One day cruise

Nov 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

CRETE-SANTORINI Greece_One day cruise

Hi!

Can someone please advise me about one-day cruises in June 2007 from Heraklion to Santorini? Options, timings, fast/slow ferries (which would you recommend?)etc. Thanks.
Nov 24th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Last summer the Flying Cat 4 departed Heraklion at 0945, arrived Santorini at 1140, then continued on to Mykonos. Returning from Mykonos, it stopped at Santorini again, departing at 1740, arriving back in Heraklion at 1910 (see http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/).

Assuming they stick to the same schedule in 2007, that would give you six hours on Santorini. Is that really enough time for you?
Nov 26th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Hi Heimdall!
Thanks for the information. We shall be spending a week in Crete and also spending time at Istanbul (before) and in Athens (en route to Crete and on the way back as well,) so we wanted to minimise any more new halts. Also, we would like to minimise our absence from Crete. Hence the query about the one-day cruise after having made many enquiries about both Crete and Santorini! Are there specific organized one-day cruises between Heraklion and Santorini? Or are they just linked with the normal fast ferry timings? Regards
Nov 26th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Maybe brotherleelove or someone else can answer the one-day cruise question. I'm not the Santorini expert, but I did know about the Flying Cat schedule.
Nov 26th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Yes sutravel

There are a couple of companies that operate one day conducted tours from Heraklion to Santorini. Here's a few links for youbr />
http://tinyurl.com/y4j547

http://tinyurl.com/yxh3tm

joe
Nov 27th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, joe4212. I have already contacted your first link (Windmill Travel). They have given me a preliminary reply. Have now taken up your link (Master Holidays). Which one is better for this pupose?

And Heimdall! brotherleelove has untiringly answered so many of my queries in so much detail, on different sites, that I feel quite inhibited about asking him again!

Regards to you both.
Nov 27th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Hi sutravel

We used Windmill Travel as it their brochures that were in information display area of the hotel. I think you'll find that there are more companies offering the same one day tour to Santorini. Ask at your hotel.

Windmill was good and a coach collected us at the hotel. Nice ship, stsandard breakfast (included in the price) and the journey time if I recall correctly took close to 4 hours. Had a great time on the island itself and part of the tour was to Akritiri then afterwards we had a few hours on our own to explore,before leaving to return to Heraklion.

Hope that helps.

joe
Nov 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks joe4212. Yes that was certainly helpful. It seems that the cruise can be organised after reaching Crete. Do you agree? We shall be going in June 2007. Following their first response, I asked Windmill Travel for more details but they have not replied. They responded fast to our initial query, also offering a full range of services but since our accommodation and air travel (Athens-Crete-Athens) are all booked, we don't need any of these services. I wonder if they lost interest as a result, seeing we were only inrested in the one day cruise and car rental!! They have furnished the basic information about the cruise - price etc., but I am waiting for more details on timings and pick-up.Too early I suppose for them to reply in detail!! Regards
Nov 28th, 2006, 02:20 AM

The one-day cruise ship is the GOLDEN PRINCE which can carry 900 passengers. Most travel agencies on the island will be able to book this day trip. They won't have confirmation of next summer's schedule and fares yet. Try Googling for "Golden Prince" and "Santorini" for more information.
Nov 28th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks GeoffHamer. I think you are right.
And joe4212 - thanks for your links. Your second link(http://tinyurl.com/yxh3tm) has responded well to my messages. Regards.
Nov 28th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

P.S. How soon should one book for the one-day cruise to Santorini, particularly on Golden Prince?
Nov 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM

hi sutravel

We booked through the hotel the day we arrived and the cruise was 2 days later. I have to say the ship itself was about half full and this was late June. I don't think you'll have a problem getting booked up for whatever day you wish.

Regards,

Joe
Nov 29th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your reply Joe. Regards
Nov 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM

The cruise runs from Rethimnon once or twice a week, so does not run from Iraklion every day. Therefore, you may need some flexibility about choosing a day for the trip. You'll be able to get details and make bookings when you arrive in Crete.
The ship normally calls at the island's port to disembark passengers going on bus tours, then moors below Fira where passengers go ashore and use the cable car or the zig-zag path to ascend to Fira.
Nov 30th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your posted reply, GeoffHamer. Yes, I've noted that the ferry goes thrice a week from Heraklion and perhaps twice a week from Rethymno. Also, the two-point stops at Santorini. The climb up the "zig-zag path" must be quite steep and long - am I right? People use one of the other alternatives to get up to Fira, don't they? Regards.