Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to remember! 40th wedding anniversary and retirement!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I would like a European trip to remember for our 40th anniversary and retirement. That will alert you that we are in our mid 60's - we have been to Paris, London, and Munich. We would go back to any or all of the three. He wants to do Scotand and I have never been to Italy. Since this may be our last trip over, we would like to make it count. Plan on staying about a month - and all travel will be by bus, train, tube, etc. We will not be driving. I would appreciate any ideas on "have to see" places, etc. Thank you all very much - I so enjoy this site.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM

What time of the year? What are your interests?
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Will be Spring 2014. My husband enjoys any and all history museums, libraries etc.I enjoy cathedrals and I am happy to stroll the streets and absorb the local culture. We usually do all the "tourist" attractions and wouldn't mind skipping some of that. The one prerequisite is a trip to Scotland so he can tour St. Andrews.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:16 PM

For Italy I would include Venice, Bologna and the lake district by train before taking the train from Milan into Switzerland. In Switzerland, take the train to Luzern - it is a very romantic city with the train station right on the lake and nice hotels nearby. Walking along the lake, visiting the old town, taking a boat tour as well as going up to the nearby Alps will provide you with memories you won't forget. Then I would take the train to Zurich and fly to Amsterdam for a few days before spending time in Edinburgh and St Andrews. I'd go in that order to increase your chances for better weather in Scotland, if you go in May. I traveled to all these cities in the last 8 months, though I have not been to the Lake district in Italy.

Feel free to ask if you'd like more information about any of the cities I mentioned.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM

With a month, you can visit both Scotland and Italy. I wouldn't go to Scotlant too early in the spring, however. We spent a wee there in early June and almost froze to death. Go to Italy first and then to Scotland. I would spend 20 days in Italy and 10 in Scotland.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much - some great ideas and I will post when we finalize. Gailscout I can visualize Luzern and just what I am looking for. Will try and make it to Spring because of the weather but getting more and more excited. Can't go before January, 2014 and I know it wil be so cold.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 07:33 PM

We just went in late May to Luzern and it was very cold and raining. Luzern is magical - spent 5 days there at a meeting so wasn't able to get up to the mountains, but is probably my #2 favorite city in Europe. Another idea if you liked Munich, go to Berchtesgaded and Salzburg for a few days rather than Amsterdam.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 08:56 PM

Consider Rouen, in France. There are 7 cathedrals, an excellent art museum, and all sorts of historic places. Dijon would also be a possibility, and of course Chartres is a Must.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 09:10 PM

It is easy to spend one month just in Italy. I would fly from Glasgow to Milan and then decide which direction you wish to head. Get a Michelin Green Guide for Italy. It is the best guide for sights. You will another guide for restaurants and hotels.

The Green Guide will help you narrow down where you want to go and for how long.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 03:29 AM

Hi Nancy, a month is not a long time, so much to see and do.

As a Scot living in London who loves traveling in Europe hopefully I can offer some suggestions.

Scotland is a must, as you yourself have said, and Edinburgh is a great city to start with and offers good access to St Andrews. I am from Glasgow, and in truth would not spend much time there, but try and head off to the west coast and the Isle of Iona is somewhere we go regularly to and love it for its history and the peace and magic it offers. It is a bit of a challenge to get to and accommodation is limited but you will love it and better if you can stay at least one night.To get there aim for Oban and the trip there is wonderful, whichever way you go, but Loch Lomond should be included.

Other places to visit in the UK? York and Bath would be on my short-list with the Minster cathedral at York a must visit. You could also consider Stratford-upon-Avon and 'do' Shakespeare maybe even taking a play when there. London you have visited before but such a great city and now we have The Shard to go up for a spectacular view and the cable car across The Thames to experience.

We have just come back from a trip to Italy where we spent some time in Sorrento and the Amalfi coast and visited Pompeii and Herculaneum which should be on anyone's list of places to visit and your husband will love the history, but if you go there read up about both sites before you travel.

Venice is a must, our favourite city, and worth combining a trip to Florence which has lots of museums etc. We drove around the Italian Lakes (Maggiore and Como)last year and stayed in Bellagio which is a lovely spot and good to get to other places from.

Where else in mainland Europe? Prague is certainly worth considering, although not for the food, Istanbul is a great city with so much to see including the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace, but with the current troubles there maybe you wait and see what happens.

Anywhere in France, Dijon has already been mentioned, close by is Beaune worth considering also as it is the centre of the Burgundy wine area and a lovely town with a wonderful Hotel Dieu to visit.

I could go on but perhaps enough is enough but please send me a message if you need any other info. All the very best for your trip and I am sure you will love it, but make sure you have some time to relax!

Brian
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 09:54 AM

My first choice would be Vienna, with Prague, Salzburg and possibly Munich in the mix. That should be about 2 weeks. You could then fly from Vienna to Edinburgh for the remainder.
Old Jun 12th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful and I do appreciate it! Some wonderful ideas and as I progress with planning, I may contact you. My husband is a first generation American - his parents were from near Naples and that area is a must! Getting more and more excited as I read all of the suggestions! Thank you.