Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crete, Santorini & Mykonos Hotel Decision - Help!

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Cathy

We are travelling to Greece on our honeymoon from September 16 to the 27th and we plan to visit Crete, Mykonos and Santorini. The hotels we've picked are:
Petinos Hotel, Mykonos
Dana Villias, Santorini
and Knossos Royal Village in Crete.
We were planning on taking the ferry between them and spending 3 days in each spot.
Can you please offer advice on the hotels we've chose and suggest better ones if appropriate. Thanks!

Jul 18th, 2001, 12:39 PM
lilipad

no recommends on greek hotels, i'm a camper BUT on the ferries, stay at the front of the boats - you might catch sight of dolphins leading the boat to shore

Jul 18th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Dolorose

Hello:
My husband and I spent a week in Santorini last year.
I did tons of research, and ended up selecting Esperas in Oia.
Every evening, our room balconey looked out at the glorious sunset (everyone else had to drive into Oia and get a seat in the fort ruins!
If you want a daily view of the volcano, I would recommend Katikies, also in Oia.
Oia is the place if your're on your honeymoon.
Fira, the capital, is not as intimate or romantic. Santorini is incredibly beautiful and romantic! Have great fun!

Jul 18th, 2001, 10:45 PM
Cathy

For the ultimate honeymoon memory - check out Elounda Bay in Crete. Very expensive - but well worth the memories. I too spent my honeymoon in Greece. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Aug 4th, 2001, 08:09 AM
ken

we just spent five days in Crete and loved all of it. we stayed in Hania at the Casa Delfino...first class beautiful place...great food in the area.

Aug 4th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Celeste

Don't know the Petinos Hotel in Mykonos but the Hotel Petasos Town was wonderful and I recommend it highly!

Aug 8th, 2001, 03:36 PM
jacqueline

Hi there:

I don't know any of the hotels you mentioned, but a friend and I just returned from Greece and we loved the hotels that we chose. In Mykonos we stayed at the Cavo Tagoo (just a 10-minute walk into town). Although the rooms are a bit small, the hotel is so unique and the staff are so very friendly. The pool and grounds are gorgeous, too, and the food is excellent. In Santorini, we stayed at the Esperas in Oia. This place is incredibly beautiful and the staff are so friendly. Without any hesitation, I highly recommend it. Check out their website at: www.esperas.gr (and do the virtual tour).

Have a great time whatever you decide.

Aug 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Karen

Cathy,
I also stayed in Hania in Crete at the Casa Delfino. It was a beautiful mansion that was converted into an upscale small hotel. Recommend it highly. Also the town is great - good restaurants, lots of shops and beautiful setting on the harbour.

Aug 8th, 2001, 11:10 PM
Diane

I stayed at Petinos Beach Hotel several years ago and enjoyed it very much. Be sure to request a room overlooking the pool and sea.

On Santorini I stayed at Sun Rocks Villas, just next to Dana Villas. Loved Sun Rocks -- hated to leave.