Road Trippin TN, KY, WV

Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trippin TN, KY, WV

Hi There. We are planning a family road trip in less than 2 weeks. We have 7-8 days. We will start in St. Louis with about a day there (more?) (originally from NY) and head onto Memphis, TN. Here is a list I have of stops:
Memphis
Nashville
Smoky Mtn NP
Mammoth Cave NP
Cumberland Gap NP
Shenendoah NP
End at Sesame Place, PA

Hubs and I are in our late 30s, love scenic drives, NPs (when we hiked sans kids) and the natural beauty of our land. Kids (8, 6 and 2) probably have other ideas however. We are not going in a camper, but a minivan and plan on camping some nights, maybe lodges others. Am looking for information on how much time we should devote at each place, whether you think something is not worth a stop or if I should replace something? Obviously need kid-friendly recs and even good lodge like (but clean/pretty) accomodations for the nights in between we do not camp. Any input you could give would be most appreciated! Ideal would be to end up at Sesame Place in Langhorn PA on Saturday morning, start is previous Saturday spent in St. Louis.
Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

also, must see sights in St. Louis with kids?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 07:17 AM
cd

Are you flying into St Louis and then renting a car? What made you choose St Louis? The kids would enjoy the riding to the top of the Arch and since you have a car Grants Farm:http://anheuser-busch.com/index.php/...e/grants-farm/
I really cannot think of a thing the children would like in Memphis or Nashville.
IMHO with only a week, you will spend most of your time in the car. Have you thought of just starting with the National Parks?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Yes to the Arch for sure.
Nashville is not far from ST.Louis--maybe just drive around and head for the GSMNP. Camping in the park might be possible, but I imagine sites will be taken/maybe reserved. But there is probably a KOA.
If you go through the Park to Cherokee there IS a Jellystone campground right by the river. I'd be pretty sure you could make reservations. Can go tubing on the river or fish. and then tour around the Park from there. And of course there is Dollywood in Pigeon Forge nearby.
Can stop in Asheville and have a nice lunch.
You could continue on I40 to Winston Salem and visit the town Of Old Salem--a little like a miniature Williamsburg. There is also a very neat AAA baseball club there if you wanted to take in a game.
From Winston you could head northish and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while and do some small hikes off of it and love the scenery.
Take a look at a map and see what of this suits you.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:24 AM

Yes to the Arch for sure.
Nashville is not far from ST.Louis--maybe just drive around and head for the GSMNP. Camping in the park might be possible, but I imagine sites will be taken/maybe reserved. But there is probably a KOA.
If you go through the Park to Cherokee there IS a Jellystone campground right by the river. I'd be pretty sure you could make reservations. Can go tubing on the river or fish. and then tour around the Park from there. And of course there is Dollywood in Pigeon Forge nearby.
Can stop in Asheville and have a nice lunch.
You could continue on I40 to Winston Salem and visit the town Of Old Salem--a little like a miniature Williamsburg. There is also a very neat AAA baseball club there if you wanted to take in a game.
From Winston you could head northish and hit the Blue Ridge Parkway for a while and do some small hikes off of it and love the scenery.
Take a look at a map and see what of this suits you.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Note on Cherokee. There IS the "kitsch" of Indian stuff, but there is also a very nice exhibit of the Cherokee nation. You can fish in the tribal waters there for a daily license, and your kids can fish for free in the Park waters. The tribal waters you can fish with bait but I think the Park requires dry fly--but not sure.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

My husband is driving out ahead of me and hitting Sandusky Park with the kids, then spending a day or so in Chicago. We chose St. Louis as a starting point bc I will be coming from a business trip in Pittsburgh. Convoluted, I know!
Thanks for responding. I'm thinking we should skip Memphis too as they won't get anything out of Graceland, but I, myself, would like to check out Nashville.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 10:37 AM

It seems like you're cramming a lot into a week - originally a destination every single day. So I think skipping Memphis (at least) makes sense, heading to Nashville via Mammoth Cave if Nashville is a must for you. You really need more than one night in the Smokies to do much, and St. Louis seems to have a couple of days' worth of things (the City Museum, the Arch, maybe a game at Busch Stadium if it works out?). I'm not sure how much time you'd have for Shenandoah or Cumberland Gap if you do all that. Maybe...

Day 1 - everyone gets to St. Louis, maybe do the Arch that night?
Day 2 - St. Louis, maybe drive to Mammoth Cave that night if you're really ambitious
Day 3 - Mammoth Cave, drive to Nashville
Day 4 - Nashville (I live here and love it, but there's really not that much for kids in terms of tourist attractions - how easily bored are your kids?)
Day 5 - drive to Smokies
Day 6 - Smokies
Day 7 - leave Smokies, stop at Shenandoah?
Day 8 - end in PA
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Your response made me LOL, jent103! My kids are pretty easily bored, which is why I think a trip of this sort that focuses on the beauty of our country would actually be good for their little souls! What are some must see stops in Nashville? Grand Ole Opry? Can they go on stage and get a pic? Someone mentioned that to me. Great lunch places there? (preferably not ribs/bbq). Also,Gretchen, thanks for all of the great info on SMNP. Will definitely look into!
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:45 PM

I think you are sort of caught up in your kids are going to LOVE the scenery. Adults LOVE saying "look at that hillside" and kids say Hunh?
We drove across the country for a western trip in part to impress our children (older than yours at the time) with the beauty and immense spaces of our country. They did a lot of reading--Kansas IS immense and flat!!. At least you now have a DVD for them!!
It is still a lot of driving. I think mixing in some amusements for them will be nice, if not important. What will the Grand Ole Opry "mean" to them? Does Nashville have a zoo? You adults should eat some "hot chicken" there!!
Why don't you start a loop from Chicago? LOTS to do there, for sure.
Dropping straight south from there is Brown County Indiana and their wonderful covered bridges.
could go to Mammoth Cave and other Kentucky sights and then head back east?
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:51 PM

The Opry is about 20-30 minutes from downtown at the Opryland complex - I'm not sure if they do tours at the Opry House or not, and I'd think your kids would rebel if they had to sit through a whole show! But the Ryman Auditorium downtown is the "Mother Church" of country music and is where the Opry was when it began until the 70s, I think. They do self-guided or backstage tours, and you can get your picture made on the stage and record a single (for a small fee, naturally). The Country Music Hall of Fame is also great (and I don't listen to current country radio much), but again - not sure how the kids would like it.

Barbecue is more of a Memphis thing anyway. In downtown itself, there's not much that's outstanding, unfortunately. There are some chains like Panera and Which Wich open during the day, but I'm not sure what else would be best since I don't work down there. Driving a little ways gets you many more options, plus gets you into areas of town that most tourists don't see if they stick to the honky-tonks. If you want classic Southern, Arnold's is a meat & three place near downtown. There's the Nashville Farmers' Market just north of downtown, which has a food court with several options. In East Nashville there's Mas Tacos Por Favor - again, a sketchy-looking building in a gentrifying area, but the tacos (and other menu items) are fantastic, and it's close to Pied Piper Creamery for ice cream (or Jeni's, if that's your preference - East Nashville has a bit of an ice cream rivalry ). Baja Burrito is one of my favorites - it's in the 100 Oaks area near the intersection of I-65 and I-440. The line is usually long at lunch, but it moves fast, and it's very kid-friendly. There's Burger Up on 12th Ave South, which is great burgers and salads with local ingredients, and is conveniently next to Las Paletas, a shop that sells amazing Mexican popsicles. (Baja Burrito also carries a limited selection of the paletas.)

There are several more upscale places too, but I figured with the kids you'd want more casual options.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 01:54 PM

Does Nashville have a zoo?

Yes, though it's not particularly awesome. It's fun if you're in the area and need something to do. We've had a couple of staff retreats there.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM

Don't miss Mammoth Cave -- kids will like that.

There are plenty of short hikes you can do in Shenandoah NP that will keep 'em busy.

I love Memphis, but maybe that's too much for this trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so we have adjusted to spend a couple of days in St. Louis, then head to mammoth Cave, then nashville, then GSMNP. After that, we are hazy. It's def a challenge since we need a mix of amusements and charm for me (the scenery I think will come. Thinking of after GSMNP doing the Blue Ridge Parkway/Sklyine Drive drive. Not sure where that will end us up....
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 05:18 AM

I'll really make another post to think about Winston Salem. It is about a 4 hour drive from the Smokeys, and the old town is small, accessible and interesting. There is a WONderful bakery--Winkler--for Moravian sugar cake and their wonderful breads.
I do think it would be an interesting break for everyone, and still be accessible to the Parkway.
You might even enjoy seeing MT. Airy just north of Winston--home of Andy Griffith!!
If your destination is closer to Pittsburg, you can just head back up I77.
there are wineries in the vicinity of Winston also, some having fishing ponds for kids.
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:10 AM
sum

And if you're going up I-77, you can stop at the Stonewall Jackson Resort in Roanoke, WV, which has many outside activities!
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 06:23 AM

Need to switch to i79
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:10 AM
sum

Oops...
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for these great tips. Will definitely look into Winston Salem. It's a long trip from GSMNP to Shenandoah NP so I'm thinking we need something to stop/do along the way. Not sure what's on that scenic drive (Blue Ridge Parkway?). Also, GSMNP seems really large and we could get in from the TN side or NC side, correct? Any recs there?
I really really appreciate all of the great info!
Old Jul 19th, 2013, 07:46 AM

GSMNP seems really large and we could get in from the TN side or NC side, correct? Any recs there?

Correct. On the Tennessee side, lot of people concentrate in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. Pluses: lots of activities for the kids and flexibility if you get bored. Minuses: Traffic and crowds, and you still need to drive at least 30 minutes to get to hiking trails or anything like that. There's also Townsend on the TN side, which is much quieter - not much to "do", but lots of cabins to rent (and I think a KOA campground) and close to Cades Cove and other popular sites.

I'm from Knoxville originally, so much more familiar with the TN side than the NC side, but if you specifically want the Smokies, you'd look around Cherokee. That would also put you in a decent position to do the Blue Ridge/Mt Mitchell/Pisgah, visit Asheville, or head east to Winston-Salem if you do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -