Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crete or Rhodes? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crete-or-rhodes-389466/)

DriNL Jan 20th, 2004 12:27 AM

Crete or Rhodes?

Our main interest are nice beaches with clear/calm waters, not crowded, small village with restaurants/shop but no interest in night life. We are both 30 yo, would like to do some sightseeing, but mainly relax and forget the cold Netherlands for a while. Besides Crete and Rhodes, it is also possible to get travel deals to Kos, Lefkas, Samos. Any ideas?

elina Jan 20th, 2004 02:55 AM

If you plan to go in summer, and want it not crowded, both Rhodes and Crete are out. And so is Kos. Lefkas and Samos are less crowded, but even those get their share in late July - August.

AllyPally Jan 20th, 2004 03:31 AM

What's your budget?? Crete is definitely NOT out in the summer. I have been there many times and there are plenty of places to stay away from the crowds. Unfortunately, I can't advise on the other islands as I haven't been. I LOVE Crete so I keep going back....

elina Jan 20th, 2004 03:39 AM

I have been many times in Crete in summer, too. That is why I mentioned late July - August, because while June and early July are just fine, I don't know where in Crete one could find a place without crowds in August. But OK, DriNL did not mention the time.

And Kos is one of those places where young people from all over Europe go for party and boozing. Sort of Greek Ibiza.

DriNL Jan 20th, 2004 04:59 AM

We are going late June. I dont know about budget, but not very tight nor super deluxe. I think that most ppl prefer Crete. Which beaches are better?

brotherleelove2004 Jan 20th, 2004 02:25 PM

Look into Santorini, specifically the village of Oia. It has everything you require. It's necessary to walk down some steps to the water below, but it is very calm and deep and beautifully blue. You can take a taxi or a bus to the other interesting sites on the island, such as Akrotiri or Ancient Thira, and the beaches of Kamari and Perissa.

Patrick Jan 20th, 2004 02:36 PM

Of the places you mention, I'd prefer Crete (particularly the south coast) over Rhodes. I thought Kos was pretty tacky-touristy for the most part. Samos was nice. Haven't been to Lefkas. But Crete has it all over the others.

Here's another thought -- Simi. You actually access it from Rhodes -- a very short boat trip away. Very small, only a handful of hotels, a couple private sorts of beaches you can hike to or take a little boat to. The village is pretty and colorful. Some really great restaurants (two of the best we ate at in all of Greece)-- virtually no nightclubs. We stayed at a wonderful converted sea captain's house, a small inn, called The Aliki. We had a little balcony where we could sit for hours and watch the boats and fisherman come in and out of the town, just around the corner.

sisterleebore2004 Jan 20th, 2004 03:06 PM

Crete - you might like to try these beaches on the south and east coast (sheltered from the dreaded meltemi wind), Gialos, Red, Preveli,Frango,3Km east of Paleokastro in the east. Also I would not limit yourself to the beaches there are spectacular gorges to be walked such as Aredehna,Ag Irini,Imbros,Zakros and others these are easily combined with staying near or at the aforementioned beaches.

Lefkada - Kathisma beach

Kos,Rodos do have smaller resorts that meet your requirements if you are interested I can give you more details.

elina Jan 21st, 2004 04:25 AM

Crete is fine in June, most central and northern European summer holidays have not yet started. The most famous beach in Crete is Elafonissi in south-western corner. Paleohora on the south coast could be nice in June. I was there in August, and swore that never again at that time of the year. Small village, yet enough restaurants and accomodation. Good sandy beach (also a pebble one), and near many gorges that were just mentioned. Do walk at least one of them! In June they are still green and lush.