Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crete or Napflion (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crete-or-napflion-683027/)

turnjac Feb 26th, 2007 05:14 AM

Crete or Napflion

We cannot decide between going to Chania, Crete for one week in July or Napflion and Tolo. We like relaxation, usually by a pool, good food, sites and a bit of shopping. Last year we stayed in Athens for a few days and spent six nights on Naxos. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

travelerjan Feb 26th, 2007 05:26 AM

Good grief, usually there's a clear better choice between two alternatives -- but you have selected 2 sites that BOTH have what you want!!

In Chania, the best place to stay is right within the West Wall of old city, but it's not on a beach or pool; however, you can easily take a bus to lovely beaches to the West (or a rental-car, which you can park on he seafront free near your hotel). And you can drive to scads of wonderful scenery & the shopping is fab; also many fine restaurants.

Tolo has a narrow beach, but is well situated; the bus takes 15 minutes to Nafplio/Nafplion -- a city crammed with architecture history, archeological history, charm, shopping, sunsets, good food etc. And with a limited rental car you can gorge yourself on ancient sites such as Epidaurus, Tiryns, Mycenae and Asine.

In May I am going to BOTH Chania and Nafplion, so you see, I myself am unable to choose.

tom_h Feb 26th, 2007 12:23 PM

turnjac,

if you're set on having a pool, then I believe there aren't any hotels with pool in the most-desireable "old town" portion of Nafplio -- that small area is just too cramped.

Nafplio is unusual in that there is ample free (or very cheap) parking adjacent to Old Town, so having a rental car is very easy.

I haven't been to Chania, but I dream of spending a week in Nafplion !

turnjac Feb 27th, 2007 06:03 AM

Thanks. Travelerjan, Lucky you. I still cannot decide. My mum loves shopping and my dad who is 70 enjoys relaxing by a pool. I was thinking of staying at the Ammos Hotel in Chania. A friend of mine who has been to Tolo and Naplion thinks going there would be far better than Chania.

cristine27 Mar 1st, 2007 07:45 AM

Really i don't think you can compare those two cities.
Chania's old port as Nafplio's old city are both beautiful (although i prefer Chania much more) but really.. Chania is in the best part of Crete. For me Naplion is just for 2 days not more.
I would choose Chania, and explore the area and the beaches.

Carolina Mar 1st, 2007 11:33 AM

Both are lovely placesw so I don't think you can go far wrong. Tolo is 7 km from Nafplio, so you could stay there are visit Nafplio by taxi, car or bus. There a lots of nice hotels and apartments in Tolo and the accomodation prices are reasonable. I have stayed a couple of times at the Paradise Lost. They have nice apartments and rooms and are sold on a b&b basis. The air conditioning there was a plus for us, and the pool is lovely.

If a pool is important, I would suggest the same tactic for Chania - staying close and visiting Chania from there. I did this a few years ago and it worked well but we had carhire.

Carolena

travelerjan Mar 1st, 2007 04:35 PM

You know turnjac, your post is a perfect example of why people should give FULL details and factors when they ask for advice... it DOES make a difference.

Knowing now that your Dad wants a lower-key time, I would now vote with Carolena for a nice B & B with pool in Tolo... dad can veg out, while peppier Mom & Daughter hop a bus to Nafplio to shop & explore. At sunset you can ALL go to Nafplio for the sunset and a great meal.

dina4 Mar 5th, 2007 10:28 AM

We stayed in Nafplio for 2 nights and it was beautiful. We had time to shop, spend an afternoon on the beach, and eat really good food. i would recommend staying there instead of Tolo, which really lacks the charm that Nafplio has. There is a newer hotel with a pool that isn't as pricey as the Xenia Palace. It is a very short drive to the beach in Tolo (10-15 min?).

Too bad you can't get a nice taste of Nafflpion for 2 nights and then go to Crete for 5.

have a great trip,
dina

worldinabag Mar 5th, 2007 11:13 AM

Hi

In Tolon we stayed at the Flisvos Hotel. It was in the new "wing" acroos the road from the original. Has a swimming pool. Rooms were very adequate.

haenelsski Mar 5th, 2007 07:07 PM

I would agree that Naphlion is gorgeous but a two night max kind of place....