Crete in November Travelling Solo

Apr 12th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Crete in November Travelling Solo

Hi everyone.

I would love to visit Crete this year. The only time that I would have available would be during the month of November since I already have a trip planned for this Spring. Realizing that November is off-season, I'm wondering if there would be a sufficient number of things to keep me busy for two weeks travelling solo. What is the weather like at that time of year? I have already visited Athens, Mykonos, Santorini and Rhodes. I am an experienced solo traveller and know how to strike up a good conversation with others. Would I be limited to Heraklion and Chania if I didn't rent a car? What is the mood like on Crete during off-season? Any suggestions would be most welcome, including hotels and restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

Ross
Apr 13th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?

Thanks.
Apr 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Hi Ross,

I'm counting down the days to a trip to Greece, including Crete. We're not planning on renting a car, and I've come across this link to bus schedules that may help you.

http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetables.html

They also have an email address if you have specific concerns (as they do say "subject to change" particularly September to December).

I'll give you my opinion on reliability after our return.

JQ
Apr 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM

We rented a car, but also took buses a few times while in Crete. Liked the car better just because we were more in control of our schedule. But without a car, you will not be limited to the cities, and should not be! You also will have the advantage of being able to book rooms as you go along rather than worrying about advance reservations this time of year.
The weather will be cooler and maybe a little rainy, but remember Crete is pretty far south, so fairly warm year round.British go there in February for warmth.
As for keeping busy, Crete is not at all like a lot of the little islands where the ferries slow down to one a week and the tourist businesses close down. Real people live there. They are less dependent on tourism, so life goes on all year long.
Have a great time.
Vera
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM

i am also planning to visit crete in late october early november ...i am wondering about going to other islands from there ..how easy is it? will it be too cold to sit on a beach? ...i have been told the tourist season and many places close down the end of october so i am a bit concerned about that
have you found any good flight deals
Oct 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM

You can easily visit the satellite islands and Santorini from Crete.

It will be too cold to sit on the beach

It is a real place where real people live. There may be beach places closed, but most business will be operating as usual. That is less true in smaller islands.
Oct 6th, 2009, 12:44 PM

shellycass.... We leave for Crete tommorow and if you check the weather on line I think you'll find the temps in the Agios Nicolas area will be a max of 75F and a low of 67 F with litle chance of rain for the next few days. Sea water temps will also be warm. Hopefully, that weather will hold thru the end of the month. Once into November all bets are off. I'm arriving with snorkle and fins ready to go. Hope you have fun.....Adiosos..... Socal