Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crete -Bali Car Rental/Itinerary/Restaurant Recommendation

Mar 26th, 2019, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

We are staying in Bali, Crete in July for 3 nights as soon as we arrive from the States. We arrive at the Chania airport around 9 pm. We then have 2 full days in Crete and are leaving on the 3rd day on a 9:45 am ferry to Santorini from the Herklion port.

1) Any recommendations on whether we should rent a car from Chania airport with a drop off at the Herklion port? I知 concerned whether there will be any issues with drop off/parking at Herklion at the end of our stay when we have to get on the morning ferry. Also, I am unsure if the rental booth will be open in Chania at 9 pm or later if flight gets delayed getting in. Also unsure how hard it will be to get to the hotel by car at night. Should we rent at all?

I知 guessing that on the 1st full day will be wanting to relax at the hotel, check out the local beach and town while we get over our jet lag and then on the 2nd full day, venture out to Chania and perhaps Balos/Elofonssi beach. I think we can get a bus to Chania and a boat tour to Balos so do we even need a car? Anyone have any experience with a day car rental - will they bring a car to the hotel for the day?
2) Any recommendations for an itinerary on Day 2? We are 3 families traveling, all with teenagers except for one 4 year old. 15 of us in total
3) Any restaurant recommendations in Chania? - with a large group, we probably will want to get that done soon. Or is better to just stroll around and find a place for dinner?

Mar 27th, 2019, 04:00 PM
kja

Originally Posted by travelmamana View Post
1) Any recommendations on whether we should rent a car from Chania airport with a drop off at the Herklion port? I知 concerned whether there will be any issues with drop off/parking at Herklion at the end of our stay when we have to get on the morning ferry. Also, I am unsure if the rental booth will be open in Chania at 9 pm or later if flight gets delayed getting in. Also unsure how hard it will be to get to the hotel by car at night. Should we rent at all?
Please don't rent a car immediately upon arrival! Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter whether you sleep on the flight and no matter your prior experience! And please be patient with me if you think I知 being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely with jet lag. The issue has become a bit of a cause c駘鐫re for me.

Mar 27th, 2019, 04:26 PM
kja

P.S. For information about restaurants and car rental and activities on Crete, you might want to take a look at my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Mar 29th, 2019, 07:30 AM

Wouldn't it really not have been possible to arrive at Heraklion airport, much closer to Bali than Chania?
Mar 30th, 2019, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply! I’ve been reading your trip report over a course of few days and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Mar 30th, 2019, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

neckervd Totall agree. The initial plan was to stay in Balos or Chania hotels and we booked our tickets to Chania. We are taking a morning ferry to Santorini and one of the members of our party felt more comfortable being closer to the Heraklion port- worried about missing the ferry. We didn’t want to check in and out of hotels especially with our group size. So we compromised and staying closer to the port by being in Bali but didn’t want to be as far away as Herkalion when visiting Chania and Balos/Elofonissi. We couldn’t change flights and ferry so the only thing we could change around at that time was where we stayed.
Mar 30th, 2019, 08:37 AM
kja

Originally Posted by travelmamana View Post
Thank you for your reply! I致e been reading your trip report over a course of few days and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Great! Let me know if you have any questions.
Mar 31st, 2019, 12:22 AM

I would avoid driving at night from Chania to Bali, unless you are familiar with driving in Crete.
The distance Chania- Bali is approximately 100 km.

Why don't you stay in Chania which is on your radar anyway? You can then drive the afternoon before your early departure to Heraklion drop off your car
and overnight there. Knolwing Bali very well i would personally not overnight there at all, it is a tiny village not a town, with a location that in my opinion is not very
convenient if you want to explore Crete.

Chania is much more attractive than tiny Bali with a lot to do and see.
However with only 2 days at your disposal i would skip Elafonisi or Balos.

You could spend both days in Chania, or if you have a car, you can explore Rethymno and surroundings on the second day on your way to Heraklion.
You could also use local buses for getting to Heraklion, but you should book the tickets in advance to secure space for 15 persons.
Apr 2nd, 2019, 03:45 AM

We book a transfer from he airport and then rent our car in Bali. Safer (we were tired after the travel) and cheaper.
Apr 28th, 2019, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. As luck would have it, our hotel in Bali offered a free cancellation due to an accommodation issue on their end and we booked in Chania in the Old Port. So excited about that. We値l get rested in Chania, relax there for a day and probably venture out our 2nd full day by car or public transportation depending on the location. Any recommendations on where/best way to reach? Balos Beach and/or Elofonissi are still high on the list but open to ideas as none of us have ever been to Crete.
(3 families together - all teens and adults except for 1 four year old)
May 15th, 2019, 11:46 AM

We've had really good experiences over the years with Greece Car Rental. We've been renting from them since 2018 every time we go to Greece. You don't have to worry about extra charges or hidden fees; everything is up-front and honest. They have become much busier since they first started, but they still provide excellent service and great rates.
May 15th, 2019, 01:14 PM

travelmama, involve the teens by having them do some planning ... here's a great online Crete Map - http://www.explorecrete.com/crete-ma.../Crete-eot.png --- click on the map & it gets huuuuge, & you navigate using side sliders. It gives a VERY good picture of how far your destinations are. Since you only have TWO days (how cruel!!) maybe Elafonissi is ambitious, if you look its in the FAR SOUTH-WEST.... and on some narrow 2-lane windy-windy roads where y ou're lucky to go 30 mph. ALSO, this beach has DAILY BUS TOURS -- maybe 30 BUSSES jamming the beach. Most people who have a good exprience there, it turns out, go at the crack of dawn & then leave when the mobs arrive.... and good luck getting Teens to rise early (i raised 2, I knowabout it). again, Balos Beach has all-day tours on "party boats" (think crowds & beer), and if not, they tell me it's an unimproved road (its on onel of those pointy spears of land West of Chania), and your car rentsl may not like you driving. Two options -- (1) CHRYSSI AKTI BEACH (Golden Beach) is just about 5 miles WEST of Chania Old Town... reachable by car or local bus on a street/beach road ... LARGE beach, lots of sunbrellas, refreshments, showers etc. SO effortless... and if grown-ups wanted to leave, teens could get back via bus. (2) If you are up for a 2-hour drive to reach a spectacular beach, then drive straight west to FALASSARNA ... its one of the only beaches in Greece that has some SURF--- not because of tide but because of wind --- the wind blows all the way from SPAIN 400 miles away.... beautiful beach. However, I would check your hotelier & take his/her advice -- in July each year there' a kind of collegiate Beach Party on Fallassarna aind if it's on the day that you would go... it could be a True Zoo! Chryssi Akti is a good cret beach expreience & you can easily get back to your hotel for the packing, dinner & prep to leave that you will confront. NEXT TIME -- perhaps you won't Shortchange crete this way! I"ll bet you're staying LONGER on Santorini (wich is 12 miles long) than you are on Crete, which is an entire country.