Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CRETE - 4 nights - hotel, transportation questions

Apr 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Hello:
We will be spending three weeks in Greece beginning mid-September.

I have a few questions on the Crete-Santorini part of our trip.

We'll be flying to Chania from Athens and will spend four nights on Crete. We will then ferry to Santorini.

Because the ferry leaves from Heraklion, it seems to make sense to spend the last night in Heraklion = 3 nights Chania, 1 night Heraklion (for convenience to early-morning ferry)

Questions:
I know there is a bus from Chania to Heraklion, but we're thinking of renting a car for our four days in Crete - good idea, bad idea? We'd return car in Heraklion.

Also, is there a hotel(s) walkable distance to the ferry port so we don't have to get a taxi?

Thanks in advance!
Carol
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:24 PM

We stayed in Chania for four days or so and rented a car at the end. We then explored Crete and ended with a night in Herkalion. Despite reading such bad things about Herkalion we actually enjoyed it. We just walked around, had a good meal and left in the am on the ferry to Santorini. We left the rental car in the lot at the ferry and it was picked up (I assume) by the car rental agency.
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

yestravel
Thanks for the quick reply! Wow - that sounds like what we have in mind. I wanted to stay the whole time in Chania but when I realized the ferry left from Heraklion, I knew the plans needed to change.

Did you like your hotel in Heraklion? If so, which hotel?
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM

A new ferry company, NEX Ferries, is supposed to begin service between Chania and Santorini (other islands too) sometime this summer season, so keep an eye out for their listings on www.gtp.gr or on their website, www.nexferries.com. At the moment their website is 'under construction'.
Apr 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Oh - brotherleelove - thanks for the info. That would make a huge difference!!! I'll keep on checking their site.
Apr 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM

We are doing a similar trip in May. We have 3 nights in Chania and one night in Heraklion at http://www.lato.gr/ The hotel website says it is 350 meters from the port.
We plan to rent a car for our last few days in Chania and drop it at the port in Heraklion.
Apr 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Ditto as Judy. We are starting off in Chania for a couple of nights before renting a car to drive down south..and then ending up in Heraklion at the Lato as well as that hotel was recommended by some friends. We are renting our car from Anna Cars.
cheers,
CC
Apr 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Judy and CaptCanuck - thanks for the info, esp. about the Lato hotel which I will probably book and also about Anna Cars.
Apr 14th, 2011, 03:38 PM

We stayed at Megaron -- great modern upscale hotel. http://www.gdmmegaron.gr/
If I remember correctly it was a touch closer to the ferry dock then Lato.
Apr 14th, 2011, 05:16 PM

I have rented from Anna Cars twice. Very good cars, reasonable price, and Kostas and Nikki are very accomodating.
I went the opposite direction than you are. I picked up the car in Heraklion and dropped it off at the Chania airport.
Here is the link:
http://www.annacars.gr/

The drive along the north shore between Chania and Heraklion is fantastic.
Apr 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all the helpful info!
Carol
Apr 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Ditto, ditto. We're spending 3 nights in Chania (Casa Leone) in late May, then rent a car to drive south east and spending 2 nights at Eleonas Cottages.We'll spend the following day in Knossos, make our way to Heraklion (Lato) to overnight and take the morning ferry to Santorini.
Apr 18th, 2011, 06:04 PM

Lato hotel is fine - we stayed there our first night. We stayed on the south coast and on our last day drove back to Heraklion in the am, left our rental at the dock with the keys under the mat as per directions by the agency. It was fine and I was glad to stay longer at the beach rather than spend another night in Heraklion.