Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Creece-Island hopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/creece-island-hopping-304160/)

ig99ts Feb 13th, 2008 12:37 PM

Creece-Island hopping

Hello,

I'm planning to travel to Greece in mid May (16-25) with 3 of my friends. We want to do the island hopping and visit Santorini and Mykonos. So far our trip looks like this: Athens - 2 days, Mykonos - 3 days, Santorini - 3 days, Athens -1 day. I checked several websites and found Ferries and Airlines (olympic and Aegean) connecting Athens with Mykonos and Santorini with Athens but nothing that connects Mykonos and Santorini. Is that still to early to book for May? Also, could anybody suggest reasonable hotels in Athens, Santorini and Mykonos.

thanks for your help

cheryllj Feb 13th, 2008 01:48 PM

The ferry schedules have not been posted yet for May - check about a month ahead of time. But you should have no problem booking a ferry from Mykonos to Santorini (although you may have to go through Paros or Naxos).

What price is "reasonable" to you? How many euros per night for a twin/double do you want to pay? Or are you looking for a quad room for all 4 of you?

worldinabag Feb 13th, 2008 01:54 PM

Hi

&quot;Also, could anybody suggest <font color="red"> reasonable </font> hotels in Athens, Santorini and Mykonos.&quot;

What do you mean? What is your budget (in euro)? What about an apartment?

billbarr Feb 13th, 2008 02:10 PM

ig99ts

Hellenic Seaways operate the only direct summer service between Mykonos and Santorini.

It's a bit too early for their timetables for that route but they should be available in March sometime.

Their site is at:-

http://www.hellenicseaways.gr/

bill

ig99ts Feb 13th, 2008 02:43 PM

I'm looking for 60-70Euros for double room

billbarr Feb 13th, 2008 03:14 PM

Hi ig99ts

For your budget on Mykonos in May you will be looking at C or D class hotels.

Also, I have a notion that during the period you are visiting Greece there is one weekend on Mykonos that thousands of students arrive from the mainland. Been there once at that time and the island is very busy. Getting lodging during that weekend will be difficult. Therefore, to be safe I suggest you visit Mykonos Tuesday to Thursday.

Hopefully Thanos from the island who posts here, can confirm the dates of this year's weekend of student visits.

Here are some hotels to check out whose rates should be close to your budget. I posted them last year and therefore they have the 2007 rates. Hopefully they will not have increased too much.

I've included their locations but not their websites. You will be able to Google them, I am sure:-

Hotel Argo close to Platis Yialos beach (in May, 75 euro for a double room)

Hotel Carrop Tree, in the Vrissy district of town. The walk to the centre can be about 10 to 15 mins. (in May, 80 euro for a double room)

Lefteris Hotel. In town, good location. (in May, 65 euro for a double)

Spanelis Hotel at Tagoo, close to town and located on the other side of the old port (in May, 90 euro for a double)

You may be financially better off getting some self catering accommodation. Here are a few to town-based places to Google:-

Andriani's Guest-House
La Veranda
Manos Rooms
Pension Marina

Lastly, there are a list of other self catering properties at this link:-

http://tinyurl.com/2pyzgv

bill

ig99ts Feb 13th, 2008 06:28 PM

Bill,

thank you for your information, it was very useful

travelnut05 Feb 13th, 2008 06:43 PM

Some of my friends and I planned a similar trip this May. We will be visiting Mykonos, Santorini and Ios. We're taking a ferry ride from Athens to Mykonos. After a similar dilemma trying to figure our hotels and transportation, we opted to go with a travel company, Contiki Holidays. They have some really affordable tours this spring, and arranged all of our accommodations so we don't have to worry about it!

ig99ts Feb 14th, 2008 01:33 PM

how long is ferry ride from Mykonos to Santorini

brotherleelove2004 Feb 14th, 2008 01:38 PM

&quot;how long is ferry ride from Mykonos to Santorini&quot;

Look at the first website Billbarr gave you!

labern116 Feb 15th, 2008 08:35 AM

We planned the same trip last Sept. I changed my itinery based on ferry and plane service and came up with this: We landed in Athens and connected to Santorini non stop on Aegean airlines (reserved online on their web). After 3 days, took a ferry to Mykonos (reseved on www.openseas.gr). Picked up the ferry tickets at a local travel agent in Santorini. Stayed in Mykonos for 3 nights and then flew to Athens on Aegean. Took the metro to Athens. Stayed for 3 nights and took metro back to airport. Everything worked out great. Booked all the hotels online via their websites. Looked up www.tripadvisor.com for hotel comments and selected based on that. I would share the hotels but they are out of your price range.