Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Credit card, Prove of person or payment, help me please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/credit-card-prove-of-person-or-payment-help-me-please-425649/)

Alice_the_Magyar Apr 25th, 2004 11:28 AM

Credit card, Prove of person or payment, help me please.

I bought my airline ticket from British Airway back in October. I was reading through the information and I noticed it says to bring the credit card used to make payment. Well now I have a problem! I paid that card off in late December, and closed the account. The credit card company told me to cut the card up and throw it away. Which I did. Will the Airline not take my ticket if I don't have the credit card as proof? I called the airline and they insist I must have the card I used to charge my flight. The credit card company can't help me they told me. Has anyone ran into this problem with BA that has flown with them? Did they ask to see your Credit card? I'm very worried, thank you for any help in advance, Alizka

Anonymous Apr 25th, 2004 11:35 AM

Whenever I run into a dead end like that, I just hand up and call again. You can't be the first person that this has happened to; I suggest you call the airline back and ask for suggestions for an acceptable substitute, like your statement from the CC company showing that the account is closed, or get a report from one of the credit-reporting agencies, the acct would still be on there for a year.

I'm trying to figure out why the airline would care about this, since they billed you and were paid months ago.

jody Apr 25th, 2004 12:00 PM

I can't help with a solution but I will tell you that they will ask to see the credit card you used. I assume this is because it is an e-ticket and they want to make sure the person using it is the purchaser.

flanneruk Apr 25th, 2004 12:20 PM

This may not help you. But the closest to that I've known was paying with a card I don't normally carry round. So a morning was spent finding it, and remembering to take it to the airport.

The airline concerned - United, on a US-bound transatlantic flight - asked for my passport, checked it against the e-ticket records and didn't even think to ask for the card I'd wasted hours finding and packing. And, BTW, BA have never asked to see my card for an e-ticket either. Just the passport.

But quoting me as an authority won't get you on the plane of course.

Alice_the_Magyar Apr 25th, 2004 12:24 PM

Wouldn't my passport and any other photo ID be enough proof, to prove I'm the person that charged the ticket? That makes little sense, really, as my Mother, my daughter, and myself all have had the same first and last name for many years at one time. As did my Father, who just passed away last month, his father who passed away several years ago, and my brother, who also passed away, at age 17. But it was so confusing. I told my kids never to name their kids after themselves, or family members. Alizka

djkbooks Apr 25th, 2004 12:24 PM

Do you still have the statement on which that transaction appears? That, along with your passport should be sufficient to prove that it was your card.

Dan Apr 25th, 2004 12:34 PM

I agree. The credit card statement should be sufficient in the rare case that you are asked.

BA and others are trying to prevent credit card fraud but I think this is just silly. I'm also 99% sure you won't be asked. I was in Europe last summer for six weeks and probably flew 10 airline, including 3 legs on BA. Never once asked!

ira Apr 25th, 2004 01:40 PM

Hi Alizka,

You can get a free credit report, once a year, by calling

Equifax 1-800-685-1111
Experian 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union 1-800-888-4213

These reports will have your credit card number with the exception of the 4 final digits.

You can also get a copy of your statement, if you can't find it, from the CC company.

Finally, bring your passport and your confirmation number (preferably the emailed confirmation) and if that isn't sufficient, burst into tears and have an asthma attack.

Enjoy your trip.

seafox Apr 25th, 2004 01:43 PM

Brits can be stick in the muds about rules. They have limited felxibility when it comes to "procedure". You might try e-mailing BA with your problem and propsed solution. If you get a positive response, bring a copy of the e-mail.

jody Apr 25th, 2004 01:53 PM

Unfortunately , the last 4 digits are what is printed on the e-ticket.

ira Apr 25th, 2004 02:00 PM

Default to "...have an asthma attack".

CarolA Apr 25th, 2004 03:45 PM

Since it has been less then a year, ask the credit card company to re-open the account. I bet they will do it! They LOVE to attempt to keep people in debt.

Christina Apr 25th, 2004 03:50 PM

I'm not sure this is just for credit card fraud, but to prove you are the person who bought the ticket. In the old days of paper tickets, the ticket itself was the "currency", but etickets don't have that feature. Anybody could show up and claim they had that reservation, as I understand it. That's one of the features of e-tickets, you don't need to carry a ticket. I think it would be easier to forge or copy someone else's email notice of the purchase (and I don't think it is actually required you have that piece of paper, but proof of identity), and that's why they check to make sure you're the same person. I don't think just a passport is good enough because many people can have the same name, although a fairly unusual name should be easier to convince them that is you.

I also go with the idea of taking the copy of the credit card statement with the purchase on it, as only the purchaser would have that. If you don't keep copies, that could be a problem--I keep my credit card statements for several years.

mercy Apr 25th, 2004 04:08 PM

Just returned from a trip to Spain/Portugal. Had an e-ticket. Was not asked for the credit card used--just for the passport for ID. This was on Delta, but have had other e-tickets (to Italy in 2002) and just passport required.

I think it is possible that that particular "requirement" is included in the instructions so that, in the event that the airline does have a question, they have "covered all bases." I have to admit I've never read that far on the instructions, but usually am carrying 2 credit cards, so I'd be safe!!! mhm

Alice_the_Magyar Apr 25th, 2004 05:48 PM

Thank you. I knew you all would pull through for me. I did find the statement that has the charge for British Airways. It is very clear too. Wow I thought I bought it Oct. But it was in Sept! great price too. $433.70. summer rates, June 8th - July 22nd. Thank you again. Ira, you are to funny!
Anyone going to be in Hungary those dates want to join me for coffee? Or maybe a day trip? Alizka.

Sher Apr 25th, 2004 06:51 PM

Boy Alice. I would be in big trouble if this is the case.
I am flying to Austria on a ticket purchased by my brother. There is no way I would have his credit card. We don't even have the same last name anymore. We aren't going together.
This could be interesting.

djkbooks Apr 25th, 2004 10:45 PM

All in all, they just want to ensure that YOU are the person, with the credit card, who booked your tickets. For sure, you are not the only one who has cancelled the credit card with which you paid for same. A copy of your statement should be just fine.