Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Crazy to visit Italy in July or August? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/crazy-to-visit-italy-in-july-or-august-221750/)

Ellen May 17th, 2002 06:29 AM

Crazy to visit Italy in July or August?

Is it too hot and too crowded to go to Italy during July or August?

carol May 17th, 2002 06:33 AM

It is both during these months...but if it's the only time you can go, then do it! Italy is a marvelous wonderful country.

Angela May 17th, 2002 06:53 AM

The first time I went to Europe was in August since I thought it would be my only chance to go. Yes, it was very hot and humid, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world! My advice is to make sure you can afford a 3* hotel with air. If you can sleep comfortably, you'll be able to endure the heat throughout the day.

cherie May 17th, 2002 06:59 AM

Ellen - I've been to Italy 5 times and it has always been in late June or July. Yes it is hot, hotter is some places than others but it is wonderful. I agree , get an air conditioned room so you'll be comfortable at night and enjoy!!! It's wonderful.

elvira May 17th, 2002 07:33 AM

And get away from the crowds - for example: after Rome, head for the Abruzzi region; after Venice, head for Trentino area; look for teeny little towns in Tuscany where you can escape from the Florence and Siena-type crowds. It's easier to withstand the crush of tourists if you have relief from them every few days.

Uncle Sam May 17th, 2002 07:36 AM

It's hotter here in Texas than it is in Italy, so to me it's no big deal. <BR><BR>However it is crowded and it is more expensive!<BR><BR>US

Helen May 17th, 2002 07:39 AM

Hi Ellen. Have been to Italy three times, twice in Feb. and once in August. My August visit was to the Laked region - gorgeous and confortable, crowed but fun. We took only one day trip to Venice - very hot and humid. But Italy should not be missed at any time of year. Enjoy!

russ i May 17th, 2002 08:51 AM

We spent a week in Umbria in August one year, and a week in Puglia another. Both times we stayed on private farms (agriturismo) and visited small towns and cities like Todi, Spoleto, Spello, Gubbio, Orvieto in Umbria; Alberobello, Martina Franca, Lecce and Ostuni in Puglia. It was not crowded when we went, and staying on a farm and getting to know the people was a wonderful experience.<BR><BR>On the other hand, if you are set on Rome, Florence and Venice, it will certainly be hot and crowed, but that does not mean you won't enjoy yourself. <BR><BR>Either way, have fun!

LJ May 17th, 2002 09:20 AM

Russ, this is odd, I was just about to post: check out Umbria and Puglia (Apullia) and the Abruzzo in August versus Rome, Florence Venice when I saw you beat me to it with your helpful ideas!<BR><BR>Ellen now has two/three votes for those areas under-visted sites as opposed to the biggies. I would add the following<BR><BR>Umbria-Gubbio and Montefalcino and, of couse, for a taste of city life, Perugia, a marvelous medieval hill town with Italy's most ancient university and the 3rd (?)oldest in the world, chocolates and stained glass (who could ask for more?)<BR><BR>Puglia- the backhills olive groves and towns like Pezze di Greco, the trulli's (Alburebelo) and the magnificent beaches nearby (esp VERY early in the day)<BR><BR>Abruzzo- the Abruzzi National Park, the charming towns of Lanciano, Vesto, and just a couple of hours further south the Gargano Peninsula and Vieste<BR><BR>Dress light, drink water and have a ball!

Vita May 17th, 2002 09:57 AM

Have only been in October, but I can't imagine a trip to Italy every being a crazy idea. :) Try visiting some of the less frequented tourist spots for a break from the crowds. <BR><BR>In Rome, go to Monte Gianicolo across the River. It's a nice little park with a great view of Rome. Also, Castel Sant'Angelo didn't have a lot of tourists when I was there in the evening. From there you get a view of Rome as well as the sun setting over St. Peter's.<BR><BR>In Florence, the Boboli Gardens are popular but large and I found it pretty easy to get some peace and quiet there. Also, try Piazzale Michelangelo during the day.

gina May 17th, 2002 10:02 AM

Ellen, I would echo all these previous comments and add one. You will hear that many places will be closed in August due to vacationing Romans and Ascension Day. We found that to be very true. Many places will be closed. If you are there on about August 15, it may be hard to find laundromats open, some museums, etc. Still worth it though. I say go when ever you get the chance, August or not.

Paule May 17th, 2002 12:08 PM

If that's the only time you can go, then definitely go. I was there the latter part of July, and found it manageable; in fact, far less uncomfortable than NYC in the summer (now THAT'S hot). And if you have a choice between July and August, definitely make it July: the cities close down in August for vacation, and many shops and restaurants will be on vacation. We were amazed at the difference in Milan from the middle of July and early August; businesses were open in July but all closed in August.