Crazy to rent minivan in Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are three women with three large and three small suitcases, and I am having trouble finding a rental car that would accommodate us and our luggage. National Car Rental offers a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.9, which it classifies as a minivan, for a very reasonable price (same as passenger cars). Is this vehicle simply too large for the small roads we are likely to travel in Provence?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:27 AM

We rented a station wagon - citroen - and had no problems at all. The roads are not that small.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:30 AM

In Ireland, maybe, but Provence roads are very nice. You will have no problem and will enjoy the extra room.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:38 AM

You shouldn't have any trouble on the highways or larger local roads, but you would have problems on some of the small streets within the centers of the older towns/villages. I had a little trouble getting down one to get to the garage for my hotel in Uzes and I only had a car about the size of a Honda Accord, if that large. I also drove a smaller car, an Alfa Romeo that was a little smaller than that -- probably about like a Civic -- and I had hairraising encounters on some of the winding mountain roads around Gordes with cars coming towards me around curves. I can't even imagine doing some of those in a minivan.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:53 AM

I've travelled through Provence with friends in a Picasso and agree it's the best way to accommodate three to four adults (at times, with effort, we squeezed in five) and a good amount of luggage. They aren't as big as American mini-vans. We had some nerve-wracking episodes around tight corners in small villages, but for the most part it was fine. Just be aware that occasionally you may need to park and walk a few blocks to avoid the narrowest streets!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm reassured except for Christina's remarks. Christina, we will be staying in Murs and the smaller towns we want to visit in addition to Gordes and Abbaye de Senanque are Bonnieux, Roussillon, Menerbes, Oppede le View and LaCoste. Do you know whether any of these locations would be difficult to access in our minivan? Thanks for your help!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:01 AM

gabriele, of the small villages you just listed, I know one for sure that has an extremely narrow road through it: Lacoste. In a moment of rashness, we drove a BWW 3-series along that lane and had to fold the side mirrors in.

However, don't despair. All of those places have parking lots that are easily accessible with a minivan. Park your vehicle and walk through the village.

Oh, one other thought comes to mind: the road from Gordes down to Sénanque is essentially one lane, but it has little cut-outs along the way that you can pull into if you meet a car coming the other way. You'll figure it out as soon as you start down the hill.

As much as I prefer having a compact car in rural France, I'd certainly be prepared to drive a minivan if it were necessary.

Anselm
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:09 AM

We regularly rent a Renault Scenic; my husband really likes the visibility from the driver's seat, and there's plenty of room for our friends and our luggage if necessary. He hasn't had any trouble maneuvering the small country roads around Grasse.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I should ahve added that the Scenic is a cross between a sedan and an SUV. It holds 5 comfortably, and visibility from the rear seats is excellent. Try autoeurope.com for prices.