Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crazy to drive Dingle to Shannon morning of flight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Dingle and flying out of Shannon at about 11AM. Is it crazy to drive from Dingle that morning? The hotels near the airport are expensive for 5, and we'd like to stay in our rental in Dingle as long as possible....
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 12:52 PM

My wife and I thought nothing of driving over 500 miles from our home to Minneapolis on the same day we had to take an overnight flight to London. But we were driving our own car and have family in Minneapolis. I assume you'll be driving a rental car so I wouldn't recommend doing what you propose. Even changing a flat tire on a strange car can take a lot of time. And then you have to factor in the time it will take to turn in the car. I suggest you stay in Bunratty.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:37 PM

no, its not crazy at all. we did it, although our flight was little later. its not a bad drive at all. just make sure to give yourself plenty of time that morning.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM

According to this website, it's about 3 and 1/3 hours from Dingle to Shannon -- I would plan for 4 hours.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

Now, you've got to eat, turn in the rental car, check in at the airport, clear immigration, do your duty free thingy, see the VAT refund desk, etc.

I would think that that would be pushing it, but if you left at 4am, pack sandwiches, etc, you could do it.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. China cat, do you remember about how long the drive took you?
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 04:55 PM

I vote yes for crazy. As an earlier poster noted it's not just the drive but the details. I live 240 miles north of Minneapolis and would not recommend that a visitor drive that trip in order to make a flight.

Get within a bus or taxi trip and enjoy your last evening. We enjoyed our first and last 'trad' session in Dublin on our last night. Took a taxi at 5:00 a.m and then waited around for staff to arrive.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:32 PM

okay, I'm sorry I got confused. we weren't in Dingle on our last night...all those "D" towns get to me! we were only about an hour from the airport...when Budman said it was 3 hours I realized I was mistaken.

It really probably is a bit too far to make an 11AM flight. I found AARoadwatches estimates to be reasonably accurate.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:25 PM

Are you in Doolin instead? Doolin to Shannon probably isn't *too* bad....
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:21 PM

With 10 trips to Ireland under my belt and going to Dingle before most people even heard of it...I would not want to do this. I would be a nervous wreck...if the flight were later I would do it...but for an 11:00...no.

Four Hour drive (give or take) leave 3:30.
Arrive Shannon:7:30 drop off car
Check in for Flt: 8:00 (you will use most of those 3 hours going through flight check in,customs, duty free,
putting in any VAT vouchers, etc.

If you don't you'll be rushed, harried and nervous.
I do understand wanting to stay at your rental though.....IF you want to leave really really early it *could* work....
Shadow

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:57 PM

My sister and I drove from a town near Dingle to the Shannon Airport. It took around 3 hours. You will have to get up VERY early to make your 11:00 flight. It does take some time to turn in the rental car and get checked in at the airport. I would look into staying somewhere closer to the airport if I were you.