Crazy thought, Tallinn and ? In 1 week

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using Skyscanner, I found an unbelievable price for a return flight from Toronto to Tallinn ($ 469 return) in early October, connecting through Amsterdam. I haven't visited any of the Baltic countries so I thought for this price why not?
I have read most of the Fodor's Estonia postings so Tallinn and Riga is doable in one week or Tallinn/Helsinki. Or is there another destination in Estonia someone could recommend?
Alternatively, can I fly the YYZ - AMS leg and not board the flight to Estonia? The flight YYZ - AMS is with KLM and AMS-TLL is with Estonia Air.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 04:13 PM

I'm pretty sure you cannot skip the AMS - TLL flight (even though it is on another airline) without having your return flight cancelled. So you'd be stuck in Amsterdam without a way home. This is, at least, the way in works on U.S. flights.

But, you don't want to miss seeing Tallinn anyway! We were there just last month during a Baltic cruise and it was easily my favorite port. We were there for just a day, but I could see having enough to see and do there for another couple of days. Unfortunately, we were not at all impressed with Helsinki. We were there for a day and that seemed to be more than enough. I would look for another city to combine with Tallinn other than Helsinki.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 04:17 PM

If you do not want to do Riga you can don

Tallinn, Tartu and Parnu.
You can take an early morning ferry to Helsinki for a day.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 04:29 PM

I have seen those fares Gamewood. If I had not just returned from Tallinn (and Helsinki), I would be on a plane like "that". I have started talking about it as a long weekend trip since it is cheaper to fly there than to Calgary, Vancouver, etc.. Unbelievable.

Do it, It is easy to include Helsinki in the trip, day trip on the ferry or stay for a few days and come back. Helsinki is very expensive, however; food and drink anyway - our hotel was the same price and most we book in western Europe). You will be glad you got the cheap airfare. Alternately Riga would work.

You will not be able to get off the plane in Amsterdam without the return leg being cancelled.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the encouraging posts. I just have one concern with the return flight, there is only 1 hour 20 minutes @AMS to connect with the KLM flight to Toronto. Is this enough time? I'm willing to have only carry-on baggage if necessary.
Old Aug 9th, 2015, 05:08 PM

I would take a 1:20 connection. If the airline is allowing it to be booked as a connection they have plans to achieve it and a history of doing so. If they fail, they will make alternate arrangements, at their expense.

TLL is a tiny airport - it certainly won't be an air traffic delay to hold you up.

Worst case, you get to spend a free afternoon and evening in Amsterdam with an ironclad excuse for work.