Reload this Page >

Crazy inlaws-daytrips from Montepulciano to Portofino and Rimini

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need your help!

We're travelling to Italy (Sep21-Oct7th) with my sister in law and her husband. This is our first trip to Italy and we've booked 4nights in Rome , 3 nights in Florence and a week near Montepulciano.

We're picking up a car in Florence and my plan was to do easy day trips throughout our stay in Montepulciano.

However our travelling companions are now suggesting day trips to Portofino and Rimini...and yes.. I have told them to look at the map!

Portofino, was mentioned as they heard it's beautiful - which I'm sure it is - but I dont think qualifies as a day trip. I'm estimating it's easily a good 3 hour car ride in each direction. I was thinking of Monte Argentario - Orbetello/Porto Ercole/Porto Santa Stefano - as a seaside visit. Is that doable day trip from Montepulciano? Or is there a better alternative?

Rimini, was mentioned for sentimental reasons and seems to be a very important to do for our travelling companions. I'm at a loss how to even suggest they travel from Montepulciano to Rimini. I dont thinks it's feasible at all but would like to tell them what is involved. Does anyone have an idea???

Thanks for any suggestions ! Maggey
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Go to www.mappy.com or www.viamichelin.com.

They will tell you routing and timing (generally a bit underestimated) from Montepulciano to any of your possible (or impossible) destinations.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks Zerlina ....I think they are
impossible destinations!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Fine, let them take public transport to those detinations and stay overnite. Meanwhile, you enjoy the Val d'Orcia and tke pictures for them.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM

Once they get to Montepulciano, they may never want to leave the Val d'Orcia.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM

Two words----TWO CARS.

Trust me!!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Stu, Bob and Maggie!
I think I'm on the right track ..
and Maggie you made me laugh when
I read your entry ...two cars is the
way to go ! thanks again Maggey 2

Old Jul 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Why not spend your time in Rome and Florence together and the rest of the time go your separate ways? You can give them advice, but each couple can plan that part of the trip for themselves - hotels, travel, and everything. That way, you will have some shared memories, but each get more of what you want from your trip. It isn't that what one person wants is better or worse. Each just has different needs. It would be a shame for any of you to go all that way, and spend all that money and time, and feel you didn't get the trip you wanted. By doing part of it themselves, each person has ownership in that part of the trip and responsibility for their own success in having a good time.

We have traveled several times to Europe with close friends - to France, Spain and Italy with friends. In September, we are going to Italy again with friends that we went to France with a couple of years back. Sometimes, we spend days doing everything together. Sometimes, we split for anything from a few hours to a few days and come back together with great stories. Sometimes, one couple wants to see the sights and the other wants to walk in the country. We each get what we want from the trip and still have great company for part of the time. That has worked very well for us. Maybe it would work for you.

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hu Maggey, family members went with other family members to Tuscany for 3 weeks last June/July.

One person wanted to relax and only visit places he could reach by train. Some of the others wanted to drive to a lot of different places.

The person who wanted to relax told the others they could sure rent a car if they wanted but it was not something he was interested in doing. I think there was a bit of sulking but in the end those that wanted to drive all over did rent a car and my family member that wanted to relax said he had the best time in Italy that he had ever had. Coffee in the local cafe each morning. Sometimes he took long walks. Sometimes he took the train to visit somewhere etc. He got quite familar with the locals and had the most charming stories to tell.

So do take control of your vacation as far as what you two want to do or not do and let your in-laws plan what works for them. Best wishes.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:52 PM

You're getting good advice. Definitely consider two cars or train travel and let each couple make their own plans. Perhaps you'll want to do one or day "daytrips" together and spend the rest of the time on your own.

Good luck!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM

It looks like Rimini would be at least a 3 hour drive and about 4 3/4 hrs by train. I would give your inlaws a cheery wave as they set off to Rimini!
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM

LOL KTtravel, yes Maggey can just wave, smile and call out "ciao, ciao".
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

thank you all again !
Two cars is the way to go !

I'm glad I'm having this discussion
with the in-laws now...rather than be
surprised once we arrived.

Personally I'm looking forward to a
nice and leisurely visit
to the Tuscany countryside
Ciao ! Maggey