Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crazy Horse v/s Moulin Rouge for boyfriend's birthday?

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I am going with my boyfriend in December to Paris for 4 days (yeah.. only that many days over New Year).

I read a few postings here about the cabaret shows at both these places. People prefer one over the other. I am looking for just the show not the one that comes with dinner.

Wondering if any of our recent travelers have experienced the shows there that are currently performing. Any suggestions of one over the other? I think there is this show called Feria (sp?) at the Moulin Rouge and I heard that the Crazy Horse has varying shows.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM

I'm sorry, but the Crazy Horse and Moulin Rouge are strictly tourist stops, mostly for the same group of people who tend to visit Atlantic City, and possibly Vegas. Why, unless your boyfriend is in his late 70's, would you even consider either place? Paris offers such a wide variety of venues such as the opera (http://www.opera-de-paris.fr/) and the ballet, among others. And no, you don't have to be a cultural snob to enjoy a good play, a great ballet or even a contemporary dance theatre performance (http://www.culturekiosque.com/dance/...).rhepcomp.htm).
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM

It's called Feerie at the Moulin Rouge. I have not been to Crazy Horse- don't want to anyway-but the Moulin Rouge is a variety type of show. Crazy Horse seems to be more appealing to men only-I am not sure but it seems like it is.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:07 AM

Do a search on Moulin Rouge here..there was a recent "discussion" which was full of opinions about the "character" of the Moulin Rouge show which included MANY comments about why people wouldn't consider seeing "that type of show" and the comments were mostly made by people here who hadn't seen it. Unfortunately, there was the usual implied "what kind of a person are you, anyway?" tone to the whole thing since obviously this "type of show" does not enjoy "favored spectacle" status here just as Latvia doesn't enjoy the "favored nation" status that France (for non-neocons) and Italy enjoy.

Are you adventurous? If so, go for one or the other and forget about what people here think.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 01:52 AM

topman,

if by "character" of the show, you mean the supposed "sexy" or "risque" nature, i do not think this is the problem.

i don't want to try to speak for everyone who is against moulin rouge but i think the problem is more that the travel snobs here (perhaps myself included) are put off by the type of place that has tour buses queued up by the dozens, takes advantage of its reputation by ripping off tourists who for some reason consider it a must see, and has close to 0% local patronage.

i don't agree that a visit to the moulin rouge is an adventure or some kind of exercise in openmindedness. a two second scan of the people in the queue to get in will tell you this.

if someone wants to spend the money to see it then there is nothing wrong with that. it's just not accurate to classify the experience as some sort of "walk on the wild side". if someone is put off by tourist traps, then this is not the place to go.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:59 AM

Yes, mostly tourists go to these shows, but they are very entertaining. The dinners are way overpriced.

I guess many would therefor classify me as an ignorant, stupid, lowlife, no-class "tourist" as opposed to a sophisticated, intelligent, urbane, "traveler." Like I care a fig about what pompous asses like that think.

I liked the Crazy Horse better. Sexier, smuttier.

I also check my luggage on the plane and don't view people who carry all their travel clothes in their pockets and a fanny pack as superior to anyone else.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:01 AM

And I might add--bigotry and prejudice aren't always about race, gender, and sexuality.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM

There are MANY people on this forum that HAVE SEEN these shows and advise against wasting your money on them.

My feeling that is less about the "sexy" or "risque" nature of the show, and much more about "poor entertainment value" for the amount of money spent.

In a great city like Paris, I'm sure you can find a much more rewarding venue for your boyfriend's birthday.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:29 AM

I half remember reading a newspaper article very recently, about the fact that the current head of the ?Sioux nation is protesting against the Crazy Horse using the name of his revered countryman in what he sees as an inappropriate and demeaning context.

So if you still want to go to one of these venues and you respect these people's feelings, maybe you should go to the Moulin Rouge.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:47 AM

rufus, i don't think i was judging anyone for their taste, just refuting the idea that a trip to one of these tourist traps is an adventure.

they are like museums or exhibits which present some idea of what pigalle was like many years ago. there is nothing real about them as they are contrived only for tourists. parisians do not go to these types of shows and most of the dancers are las vegas showgirls. therefore they have little to do with paris.

so what it comes down to is their pure entertainment value and this is a matter of taste. as another poster pointed out, the entertainment value for money does not get very high marks.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:58 AM

Don't pay any attention to the above posters. I assume you and your boyfriend want to have FUN on his birthday. Go to the Crazy Horse. It's a great, very sexy show.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:16 AM

Yes, by all means do go. The dinner is very fine eating for such a modest price. Drinks? Have a whole bunch so you can max out your credit card.

Its also a great place to swap "senior moment" stories with other worldly Americans from Ohio. And, if you are lucky, one of the large number of polite Japanese tourists can even take your picture. Make sure your teeth are in straight for the photo.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:45 AM

hansikday,

To my memory, the number of people that said they saw it and liked it, significantly out number the ones that said they saw it and didn't liked it.

You don't say that you saw it, but you recomend against it, rather then letting them say so. That would be like me (who hasn't seen it) saying it is a must see.

Maybe "rewarding" isn't what they are lookng for, this one evening.

walkinaround,

Regarding the "tour buses queued up by the dozens." That makes it sound like a stop on 7 cities in 7 nights. Aren't those buses actually for one evening packages that are combining the show with a cruise, drive by of luminations or dinner somewhere else? Isn't a big reason folks are booking those busses, because the public transportaion is not good following the late show?

I suppose Stonehenge is a tourist ripoff? It has tour buses queued up by the dozens!

Keith
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 06:57 AM
ira

Hi toast,

If you must go, here are the websites:

http://www.moulinrouge.fr/home-flash-gb.html

http://www.lecrazyhorseparis.com/
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:12 AM

We've been to a cabaret show at "la Nouvelle Eve" (I believe that was it. I've looked into the Crazy Horse but not gone to it.
My impression is that the Moulin Rouge show would be similar to the Nouvelle Eve show, in that it is a variety show similar to a Vegas show (some topless numbers, but other types of entertainment as well), whereas the Crazy Horse venue is strictly exotic/nude dancers rather than a variety show.
Both are quite expensive in my opinion, so make sure it is really what you/he want to do.
BTW, did you know there is an 'erotic' museum in Paris? It's quite a collection, some artistic, some campy, some downright embarrassing displays but actually kind of fun. (it won't be on your museum pass, though )

Read about it:
http://www.metropoleparis.com/2004/903/904life.html

Musée de l'Erotisme
72 BOULEVARD DE CLICHY PARIS
01 42 58 28 73

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Just a couple of basic facts:

Both places have "naughty" las vegas type shows with lots of "naked"/or almost showgirls mixed in with vaudeville type acts

they are quite expensive, especially if you have the dinner - which everyopne seems to agree is ghastly

almost all the attendees are foreign tourists - usually middle aged or older (from what I saw)

If you think that's what your boyfriend would enjoy - go for it. If you think he would prefer something else - Paris has tons of options for all types of shows, concerts, clubs and all sorts of other music venues.

If you want an alternate - and can describe your taste - age group, music type (jazz, R&B, pop, traditional "parisian", etc) - people can make specific suggestions
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:23 AM

There are probably better places to take your BF, but of the two I would definitely recommend Crazy Horse over Moulin Rouge. It is much more provocative, with better choreography and dancers.

Both will have a lot of older folks in attendance, but the Moulin Rouge will be almost entirely filled with old folks and tour groups. The Crazy Horse will have more of a cross section because the show is better and less geared to organized tours.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:17 AM

My wife and I fondly remember an evening at the Crazy Horse in 1958. We have never returned despite many trips to Paris since. Our fear is that our original impressions could never be duplicated and who wants a great memory sullied.

The single strongest memory was perhaps the least visually stimulating but the most imaginative aural stimulation. Simply an all black stage with a spotlighted tophat and a brilliant red feather boa tantalizingly curving around with the words, John -- Marsha, spoken with increasing passion. Brilliant.

BTW, we weren't married at the time and my wife sat on the bar with her friend for the show. Both had to constantly fend off unwanted attention and errant hands.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:46 AM

How many Ensure breaks do they have at each show and how much does a can cost?
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Crazy Horse is a Vegas Lounge strip show type event with artificial "bushes" glued to the girls bikini area. Startling at first but so fake. Really no comparison to the Moulin Rouge. Go to the late show rather than dinner and just have the champagne. It is a splurge but you need to go once. The highlight of every trip to Paris for us is "Illuminations" Go to Ponte Neuf at 9 pm and for $10 per person you ride in a boat that has searchlights that light up the buildings and monuments while you hear narration from college students in what ever languages there are on board...a must see ......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -