Reload this Page >

Favorite Trompe d'oeil in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 09:48 AM
Doug Weller

What's your favourite trompe d'oeil in Rome? Inside? Are there any outside on buildings? We know about some, eg the ceiling of <BR>Sant' Ignazio, but what are the ones we must see? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Leslie

The palazzo Spada has a courtyard with a colonnade by Borromini that is a wonderful study in Baroque perspective.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 02:20 AM
Doug Weller

Thanks for the information about the Spada, I'll put that on my list! <BR> <BR>Anyone else know any others? <BR> <BR>Doug

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 06:33 PM
harzer

It's actually "trompe l'oeil" old chap. <BR> <BR>I did a search under this name but found no reference to Rome, only to modern day artist(e)s working in this area.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 09:17 AM
KT

The Villa Farnesina, at the north end of Trastevere, has a room painted with 16th century trompe l'oeil views of Rome

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Doug Weller

Thanks for the info on the Villa Farnesina, will have to go there. <BR> <BR>So far as spelling goes, I guess l'oeil is preferred, but a search on the d'oeil spelling shows up quite a few in Italian (but a lot more with the 'l'. <BR>http://www.publinet.it/aziende/casamago/trompe2.html is an example. <BR> <BR>Doug