Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Covered knees in Florence and Venice churches?

Old Jun 27th, 2022, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we are traveling to Italy next week and I had read that any visitors to churches, such as the Duomo in Florence and St. Mark's Basilica in Venice need to have shoulders and knees covered (so presumably this means pants or long skirts/dresses). Given that the temperature is predicted to be in the high 90s to 100 degrees during our visit, this will be uncomfortable. We of course want to be respectful, but wondered how strictly these rules are enforced? Thank you!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 12:27 PM
J62

I think the right question to ask (yourself) is actually "if on the particular day I am there they enforce the rules, and I am not appropriately dressed, what will I do?"

If you choose to wear something that could be questioned, but want to be prepared you could carry a shawl make a wrap around long skirt and wear a shirt that isn't sleeveless.

Last edited by J62; Jun 27th, 2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 01:41 PM

Wearing a longer skirt and top with sleeves isn't necessarily hotter, a lot depends on the fabric, for example linen/cotton vs synthetic. Because I burn easily I tend to avoid sleeveless things in the height of summer anyway. And even if there is no one checking, it's a mark of respect to dress appropriately (guessing though, that many visitors will not be thinking about what they're wearing).
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 03:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Capris and a short sleeve top are fine and comfortable in that kind of weather. Or a sundress and very light shawl you can tuck in your purse. That's what I did for both Italy and Turkey, where you needed to also cover your head!
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 03:21 PM

Wear a longer loose skirt and carry a loose shirt (maybe like a men's shirt) to pop on over the top if you are sleeveless, and roll up the sleeves to the elbow. This is similar to what I would wear in an Australian summer to keep the sun off. Not hot at all because the air can circulate under your clothing and you don't expose your skin. You might favour light colours over dark so the sun doesn't scorch you through your clothing. Do observe the rules, it's polite and you don't want to offend the people who are giving you hospitality and sharing their churches with you.

Lavandula
Old Jun 27th, 2022, 05:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
" . . . this will be uncomfortable."

When it gets extremely hot here I don't wear shorts but long floaty skirts, I find shorts and capris hotter. (I wear shorts of course if playing sports etc).

And I usually carry a light shawl or cotton cardigan or sometimes a shrug, since even in the heat some bldgs can be quite cool.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 06:47 PM

When we visited Italy during hot weather with niece who favored sundresses, shorts and such she bought a scarf to wraparound her waist to satisfy entry requirements, kept it tucked in her purse.
Old Jun 28th, 2022, 07:27 PM

I think "dreamon," a few comments above, was on to something. Your comment seemed to imply that you may be willing to wear something inappropriate, if you can get away with it. But after many years of international travel, I recommend always following common principles of respect, whether authorities are watching or not.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
" . . . this will be uncomfortable."

When it gets extremely hot here I don't wear shorts but long floaty skirts, I find shorts and capris hotter. (I wear shorts of course if playing sports etc).

And I usually carry a light shawl or cotton cardigan or sometimes a shrug, since even in the heat some bldgs can be quite cool.
I am a man and, given the choice, I would certainly wear "long floaty skirts" in hot weather. Indeed , I have a couple of Kramers, brought back from Cambodia which I do wear around the house in summer . Not quite brave enough to wear them out on the streets just yet.
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 04:52 AM
J62

Originally Posted by crellston View Post
I am a man and, given the choice, I would certainly wear "long floaty skirts" in hot weather. Indeed , I have a couple of Kramers, brought back from Cambodia which I do wear around the house in summer . Not quite brave enough to wear them out on the streets just yet.
Yeah, the issue with us guys wearing Kramers in public is wearing them Kramer style....
Old Jun 29th, 2022, 08:25 AM

I just came home from Rome where it was 35-39 degrees during our stay. They were definitely enforcing the rules in the Pantheon when we visited and there were hawkers outside selling shawls.
It’s actually cooler to wear lightweight cotton or linen shirts with some kind of sleeve and floaty dresses/skirts or loose pants/longer shorts in those materials than bare too much skin in that kind of roasting heat.
Not to mention the respect part of it; you are in another country.