Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Couple of Questions Regarding Alhambra - Opinions, Please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/couple-of-questions-regarding-alhambra-opinions-please-521149/)

Chele60 Apr 14th, 2005 06:52 AM

Couple of Questions Regarding Alhambra - Opinions, Please!

I've searched the forum and have found the answers to most of my questions regarding a visit to the Alhambra. Thanks to all past and present Fodorites! But...I still have a couple of questions I just couldn't seem to find the answers to. All opinions/suggestions welcome!

1. On average, how long does a visit to the Alhambra take? I know there could be lots of variables here, but I'm looking for an average. This would include Nasrid Palace, the fortress, and the Generalife. To complicate matters, we will not be staying in Granada (less than an hour away to arrive, couple of hours away when we leave). Also, my S/O has fallen arches, which means that spending any long period of time standing/walking is simply out of the question. He can tolerate short times (3-4 hours), but longer than that and he is in pain.

2. Are there areas around the Alhambra for visiters to sit? This helps my S/O with his feet. If he can find a place to sit for even a few minutes it rejuvenates him.

3. We expect to arrive early (9-10), and that means we will probably be there for lunch. Are there any other places to eat other than the Parador at the Alhambra? I'm talking places one can get a meal, not a snack. When we leave Granada, we will have quite a drive ahead of us. (Yes, we will be driving to the Alhambra. I know! But it isn't all my idea!)

4. Lastly, I have read through past posts on how to purchase tickets online, and have discovered a wealth of information. You guys and gals are terrific! However, when I visit the website, it appears that one cannot purchase Generalife tickets in advance. Can this be true? Granted, I have not completed a transaction, so I'm not sure if it asks at the end? Or do people purchase the Generalife tickets when they arrive? Or are visiting the gardens even a wise decision to make with some one who has some difficulty with walking/standing for long periods of time? (He does get a bit grumpy when his feet hurt and usually just wants to leave. Can't blame him...nothing worse than aching feet!)

I know, lots of questions, but I appreciate the answers I receive here! Hopefully, one day I can start to answer some questions instead of asking them all the time!

Thanks!

zbjoon Apr 14th, 2005 10:12 AM

You can do Nasrid Palace, Generalife and the Alcazaba in 4 hours. I did Alhambra in 8 hours during the day but I took my time. Nasrid palace and the Alcazaba are very close to each other. Generlife is not too far. You need to do some walking in Alhambra but there are places all over to sit and rest.

I am not familiar with anything up the hill around Alhambra. I have read there are places to eat. Down the hill there are plenty of restaurants in Plaza Nueva and also in the Moroccan section. I don’t remember till what time they served lunch before closing for dinner.

I had the same question you have regarding Generalife when I bought my ticket. It is very confusing. I ended up calling them. I believe I bought a ticket for the whole Alhambra. You want to make sure you know the full reservation number. When I picked up my ticket, there were three separate slips on it for entry: Nasrid at the time I specified for entry, Alcazaba and Generalife. The rest of Alhambra was open to all. Generalife is worth it, IMO.

Eloise Apr 14th, 2005 10:35 AM

The Hotel America is a modest hotel that is also on the Alhambra grounds, not very far, in fact, from the Parador.
It has quite a good restaurant.

ThinGorjus Apr 14th, 2005 10:45 AM

Are you writing of the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain? I am very confused because zbjoon writes of the "Moroccan section."

I have been to the Alhambra in Grenada, Spain. I saw the Alhambra, the gardens, and another Baroque palace (don't remember the name) in 3 hrs. There are benches in the gardens to sit on. Just outside the gardens, going up a hill, there are some cafes that serve food and drinks. They also offer shade from a merciless sun. (When I was in Grenada it was 100F.) Please bring a hat and/or umbrella with you or you will get sunstroke. To get to the Alhambra, you have to walk uphill.

I don't know about tickets, as my tour guide had advance tickets. The line for tickets was very long, so I would try and get them in advance.

Hope this helps.

zbjoon Apr 14th, 2005 11:41 AM

ThinGorjus – LOL, Sorry that my post confused you. I was referring to places to eat in Granada, Spain down the hill from the Alhambra. There is a Moroccan section behind Plaza Nueva with shops and restaurants.

Chele60 Apr 14th, 2005 12:10 PM

Thank you all for the replies! It seems if I tentatively plan for 4 hours then that should cover it. (And yes, this is in regards to the Alhambra in Granada in Spain) I guess I can take along some snacks to stave off any hunger until we can eat probably down the hill in town.

It is good to know there are plenty of areas to sit and rest, if needed. I'm sure we will be using them quite a bit! :)

Thanks, zbjoon, for the info on the tickets. In past threads it was recommended to make reservations during business hours in Spain, so I guess I'll have to stay up late and do that! (I'm on the West Coast of the US)

ThinGorjus, we will be going to the Alhambra at the end of September. I suspect it will still be very warm, but I'm hoping we can skip the 100F temps! However, I always take water with me everywhere and have my compact umbrella with me. Thanks for the heads up though!

This does bring up another question, if some one has the answer. Since we will be driving to Granada, is there parking available at the Alhambra? Or will we have to park in town and take one of those little bus thingies to the Alhambra? Will one of the hotels close to the Alhambra let us park at their establishment or am I dreaming?

Thanks, again! I appreciate it!

111op Apr 14th, 2005 12:31 PM

Don't know the answers re parking -- but the ticket you buy from the website will cover the other parts of the Alhambra.

Only the entry for the Nasrid Palace is timed -- you must enter within a half-hour time slot.

The stub will enable you pass through the rest of the complex easily. And you can do so at any time.

As for lunch, we had lunch at the Parador (I think Eloise suggested this option), which was quite nice. I don't remember how much time we actually spent in the complex. I don't think that it was a whole of time, as we didn't really spend much time in the Alcazaba.

Also in the complex is the Palace of Charles V. This has a museum, and is itself a Renaissance palace. Within it is a circular courtyard but the palace itself is a perfect square. It's quite interesting and also worth a visit.

artlover Apr 14th, 2005 07:11 PM

Yes there is a parking lot not far from the Alhambra entrance. You could drop you S/O off first and then park the car to save some footwork. When we were driving up to the lot, some young men flagged us down and told us it was full--that we should park at "their restuarant" and taxi to Alhambra. Don't believe them--it's a scam--just go to the lot.

As others have said, there are places to sit and rest. Just curious...does your S/O have orthodics(sp?) for their shoes? This might help.

We're going back to Spain in a few weeks...it's fabulous--have a great time.

zman Apr 15th, 2005 03:06 PM

If the line it too long at the alhambra you can just sneak in like I did. Use the entrance that is closest to the Hotel america. Worked for me.

Chele60 Apr 18th, 2005 07:05 AM

Sorry I hadn't responded, but this weekend was so hectic! I did want to get back and "thank you" to all who responded!

Artlover, thank you for confirming what I thought I had heard from somewhere that there was parking somewhat close to the Alhambra. I suspect I will not get off easy with him letting me off at the entrance whilst he parks the car! If one's gotta walk, we both gotta walk! (S'ok though!)

We are both looking into some form of arch support for him, as it can become extremely uncomfortable with fallen arches. (I sort of equate it to walking 1 - 2 miles in my 3" heels - NO FUN!) I found some orthotics on one of the travel web sites such as travelsmith or magellens, and will be sending him information on them. Getting custom made ones (what he really needs) are just so expensive! Hopefully we can find some orthotics that will work or some shoes that will give him support (other than his work boots or his cowboy boots, that is!) that he will feel comfortable in for the trip!

zman ~ I'm tempted to take your advice, but knowing me, I'd be the one to get caught and end up in a Spanish jail! :D

artlover Apr 18th, 2005 02:35 PM

Chele60,

Just another suggestion from someone else with fallen arches (got them playing tennis when I was pregnant!)--check out the medical insurance policy--some cover orthodics (mine did). Believe me, I sympathize...

Good luck!

Craigellachie Apr 20th, 2005 04:20 PM

Hola
We visited the Alhambra in late September 2004. Hot! The good news is that the Moors knew this and there are fountains and water features everywhere to cool the air. You'll have no problem finding shaded places to sit down and rest. I woud be tempted to make do with snacks until you get back to Grenada. Several guide books comment on the generosity of the free tapas in most of the bars...