Couple in Ireland for 10 days

May 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Couple in Ireland for 10 days

My boyfriend and I are 26 and traveling to Dublin Ireland June 2013 (Yes we plan ahead). Other than on a cruise, it is our first time traveling outside of the US. Our main reason for going overseas is to visit Isle of Man TT race. We will be overseas for 10 days and would like to visit outside of just Ireland and Isle of Man but we are unsure what is the best place to travel to and the best trasportation to get there. We are willing to meet people on the way so hostiles are on our list. We also love food, wine, and shopping. We arent interested in any sort of night clubs but a great bar with some Guiness would be a must!

Any help would be great.
May 31st, 2012, 02:32 AM

Ireland which takes at least 7 days plus IOM for 3 (of the 14 day TT) covers the 10 days you have allowed.

You can fly of ferry between Ireland and Manx from Dublin but it really depends whether you want to experience the places you visit or just get stamps in your passport.

For the latter you could include some of the Mainland UK.
May 31st, 2012, 04:47 AM

I would agree that you could easily fill your time in Ireland after the Isle of Man race. You don't want to overload - 2 countries in 10 days is still plenty. Dublin itself is fantastic, and has at least enough to keep you busy for 2-3 days - more if you do day trips out of the city, like Newgrange/Hill of Tara, Malahide or Trim, Glendalough/Powerscourt. You didn't say if you like historical stuff or not, because there is a LOT in and around Dublin.

Food, wine and shopping - Grafton Street is the main pedestrian shopping district in Dublin. You could spend all your evenings pub hopping and still not be bored in Dublin! Brazen Head is arguably the oldest pub in Dublin, give it a try some evening.

You may want to check to see if there are any food/wine festivals going on - June will be a prime time for that sort of thing.
May 31st, 2012, 05:44 AM

2013 TT Races

2013 Isle of Man TT - Saturday May 25th - Friday June 7th
2013 Pre-TT Classic Races - Friday May 24th - Monday May 27th
2013 Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Races National Solo Races - Billown Circuit - Saturday June 8th
May 31st, 2012, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

We both love to travel and just getting stamps on our passport is not something we're looking for. Were looking for a lasting experience. Other than the us we know next to nothing about traveling to other countries. I fugured 10 days would not be enough to do much but your sugestions are greatly appreciated.

Mainland uk sounds great.

We love art so museums will definitely be on our list!

I just saw a documentary with brazen head shown. That area is that in?
May 31st, 2012, 09:07 AM

Brazen Head is in central Dublin, here: http://www.brazenhead.com/

There are art and history museums throughout Dublin, you won't be bored there!
May 31st, 2012, 10:18 AM

I am more of these are the facts rather than lets hold hands type sorry.

Anyway Ireland is 2 countries Northern Ireland which is part of the UK and the Republic which itself could be classed as 2 countries, Dublin and the rest of Ireland.

Flying into Dublin and having 3 days in the City gives a day for the city and 2 days for day trips. Then you need to see Ireland.

The IOM sits in the Irish sea between Ireland and England so you could sail there from here and then to Liverpool UK or fly from there to London, Scotland or back to Ireland.

Without knowing dates of the trip and the days of the trip for the TT working an itinerary is impractical. Remember also that semi domestic flights have tight baggage restrictions so flying local would mean packing to suit.