Country house in Andalucia in February

Dec 13th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Country house in Andalucia in February

My husband and I are traveling to Andalucia in February for two weeks with our one and a half year old son. We are planning to spend a week in and around Seville. For the second week, we would like to stay in the countryside (town or village) where we could go on short hikes and walks. We are hoping to find someplace with a temperate climate (Alpujarras in February seem too cold for hiking with a toddler) and decent roads and supermarket/shops/ few restaurants/ pharmacy. We don't mind a tiny village, but would prefer to avoid hair-raising roads and are looking to rent a house or apartment for a week. Do you think Ronda or Arcos might be appropriate in February? Or Gaucin? Or someplace in Cordoba/ Jaen? Costa del Sol is not really our style.

Any input would be very much appreciated.
Dec 13th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Of the possible places you mention, I only know Ronda and Cordoba.

The "new" part of Ronda really hasn't much character, and the "old" part across the gorge has great character but no stores, restaurants etc. that I could see and its steep streets would be difficult for a toddler to navigate.

Cordoba is a fairly large town, and except for the area around the Mezquita I found it totally charmless. Nor could you easily go on hikes or walks from anywhere within the town.

Without being able to recommend a specific one, I would suspect that something that is closer to a village than a town would be more suitable for what you intend.
Dec 13th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your thoughts.

Just to clarify, I meant that in addition to Ronda/ Gaucin, we are considering staying in a small town or village in the Cordoba or Jaen regions.
Dec 13th, 2006, 06:07 AM

Check out elevations as it can make a big difference on temperatures. Ronda is quite high up and although I haven't been in winter am told it can be cold
Diz01
Dec 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM

check out www.toprural.com for homes to rent.

it can be very cold in mountains of course, in february. so make sure where you are going has more than a fireplace and does have central heat, not just little electric radiators.
this will limit your choices by all means.

Dec 13th, 2006, 01:25 PM

About ten years ago (so this may be out of date), we rented a country house (casa rural) outside the town of Priego de Cordoba. Our kids were 12 and 9 at the time. It was great, well located for touring out of the way places like an artisinal olive oil production place where we were treated like family members. The owners of the house left us some instructions about walking paths and we took some very nice walks (not strenuous enough to get the label hike, but very nice) through olive orchards, etc. We were there between Christmas and New Years and had very nice temperatures, 50s I'd say. The town itself has a village church that my daughter remembers to this day as being like entering a heaven of white and gold.
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:31 AM

http://www.guiarural.com/casas_rural...Andalucia.html

You can click on a map of Spain showing the regions and you'll get a list of rural accomodations you can try.
Dec 14th, 2006, 03:54 AM

Medina Sidonia might be a good choice. Certainly there are great restauarants on the crossroads. This area has good Ventas (small restaurants with homecooking normally)plus there's a lot of walking.

Check this out on the map.

Blackduff

Search this Thread