Country Hoppers!

Aug 8th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Country Hoppers!

Author: ledhead
Date: 08/07/2007, 04:58 pm
My daughter will be studying for six weeks next summer in Chambery, France. We are trying to put together a trip before dropping her off to study abroad. We have been to London, Paris, Florence and the Black Forest before. We are looking for 2 or 3 different countries or places to go within train travel proximity to Chambery, which I hear is actually on the border of Switzerland and Italy. Munich is something we always wanted to see, being of German descent. Can anyone give us some suggestions that would include Munich? Is Austria nice (we are not into seeing a lot of churches), or what about Jungfrau in Switzerland, or Venice? We love train travel, and want to make the most of the time we have before my daughter goes to Chambery, perhaps spending 3 days or so in each place.

Aug 10th, 2007, 01:49 AM

Hi Led - I think Munich, the Dolomites and Venice would make a lovely combination.

You could stop off on Lake Como en route from Venice to Chambery ...

Can I come too?

Steve

Aug 10th, 2007, 02:24 AM

Chambery's not terribly well located for border hopping. There are three or four trains a day straight to Turin (about 3 hours away), and more frequent trains to Geneva that nearly all involve changing. But it's not like, say, Como where a brief stroll will have you in another country without even noticing you've crossed a border.

So Steve's general strategy - train from Munich to Venice, then Venice via Turin to Chambery - is right. It makes no sense to go charging off to places using Chambery as your base.

Following Steve's strategy, this is what you can do:
Before Venice:
- stop off in Innsbruck to see a bit of Austria
- or Bolzano to see the Italian Dolomites
- Or Padua, Vicenza or Verona
After Venice
- Padua Vicenza or Verona
- the stations close to the Lago di Garda, which involve fewer changes of train than diveting to and from Como at Milan.

Go to www.bahn.co.uk for the search engine for this in English. When the journey details are shown, click on the train number to see the towns the train stops at.
Aug 11th, 2007, 01:49 AM

ttt
Aug 11th, 2007, 07:28 AM

Suggestion: Get a map of local and adjacent areas. Find ares that interest you. Put a spread sheet together. Detail travel time and costs. Local libraries can often bring in books they do not stock. You have a year to learn the territory.
Aug 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I guess Munich, Dolomites and Venice it is! Thanks also for the bahn website as well. Will post my final itinerary! Hope you get back to Europe soon Steve! This will be our second time and we are so excited! Thanks again all!