Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Counting on your fingers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/counting-on-your-fingers-502070/)

nonnafelice Feb 8th, 2005 06:01 AM

Counting on your fingers

Silly question, but inquiring minds want to know ....

I know that in Italy, and I think in France, when you count on your fingers, you start with your thumb. So when you hold up your hand at a restaurant to show that there are two people in your party, you put up your thumb and index finger, rather than the first 2 fingers as in the US.

Which style does the UK follow -- continental or American?

Patrick Feb 8th, 2005 06:12 AM

I'll wait for an expert's answer, but having spent so much time in Europe that I now routinely stick up my thumb and forefinger for two even here in the states, I think I first learned that in the UK. Didn't I?

PatrickLondon Feb 8th, 2005 06:32 AM

Are you sure it wasn't the forefinger and middle finger (don't try this in a UK restaurant, folks).

sheila Feb 8th, 2005 07:45 AM

based on a scientific test (I checked what I do:), it could be either. But you have to be careful which way round you do it if it's fore and middle

Intrepid1 Feb 8th, 2005 08:52 AM

And when you grow up and go to Europe you take the time to learn the word for number of people in your party so you don't inadvertently give anyone the finger!

Robespierre Feb 8th, 2005 09:02 AM

Prime Minister WinstonChurchill did this:

<b>http://www.enfia.sk/CHURCHILL.gif</b>

...and nobody got bent all out of shape.

Grasshopper Feb 8th, 2005 09:08 AM

So if you're alone, do you just stick up your thumb?

Nikki Feb 8th, 2005 09:38 AM

So if you put up your forefinger and middle finger it means peace or victory or two (and if I recall correctly, the Brownie salute) in the U.S, but you're giving someone the finger in the U.K.?

In a Chinese restaurant last week, a waiter use his thumb and pinkie to indicate the number six; at least I think that's what he was doing. Made me think of an abacus.

SeaUrchin Feb 8th, 2005 09:51 AM

I learned to use the thumb and forefinger in Europe too, so, like Patrick, I still do it. It is easier when a person asks or signals how many from across the room to just hold up fingers then yelling out a number.

It is good to know the number in their language though when you are going to a nicer restaurant, not so good to stick your thumb and fingers in front of someone's face.

flanneruk Feb 8th, 2005 09:55 AM

When there are two of you and you enter a British or Irish restaurant, you say &quot;I'd like a table for two, please&quot;.

Apart from the unfortunate symbolism whichever way you might use your fingers, the general assumption is that both you and the staff speak English, and aren't deaf. Why would you communicate in sign language?

PatrickLondon Feb 8th, 2005 09:59 AM

Nikki, - fore and middle with the kunckles of the fingers and the back of the hand away from you, and yes, you could be &quot;giving someone the finger&quot; in the UK - but I think this ancient sign is now disappearing in favour of the American version. I was being a bit facetious when I mentioned it (heavens, am I turning into a troll?)

cigalechanta Feb 8th, 2005 10:00 AM

We've always been asked and never used fingers. The asking if two when they see us is because often the couple may be expecting a third and fourth person to join them as has been the case with us.

LVSue Feb 8th, 2005 10:09 AM

We learned real fast, the first time DH held up his index finger for one ice cream cone and got two. (I realize this doesn't answer the UK question, sorry.)

nonnafelice Feb 9th, 2005 06:58 AM

FlannerUK:

Re: &quot; Apart from the unfortunate symbolism whichever way you might use your fingers, the general assumption is that both you and the staff speak English, and aren't deaf. Why would you communicate in sign language?&quot;

I think the implication in your reply is that the Brits (more restrained?) don't talk with their hands as much as the Italians! I don't know why it's sort of a habit when going into a restaurant even at home in the US to hold up the number of fingers even as you say the number -- maybe because so many restaurants are so terribly noisy. But I was really just asking out of idle curiosity to know if the Brits do it the same way, starting with the thumb, if they were ever to lower themselves to such crass public behavior [-X .