Couldn't get Vatican Tour. Alternative?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I faxed the Vatican to make a reservation for a tour of the museums and Sistine Chapel, but they were already booked for the date and time we needed. Of course, we can still see the Vatican Museums, but I wonder if we're better off to (a) just "wing it" on our own (possibly using headsets)or if we should b) hire a tour guide. If (b), then a recommendation would be appreciated. Grazie to all!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 08:41 AM

My husband and I just returned from Italy last week. Rome, Venice and Florence. We did not go with tour but did use the headsets. It was great to be on your own and take your time without having to follow other people.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM

The various colleges and congregations in Rome each have access to tickets and reservations. When we decided to spend the Christmas Season in Rome several years ago, about this time of the year, we were able to get reserved tickets to the Vatican Museum and Midnight Mass through the Boston College Alumni Association. The Jesuits have an office some 100 yards to the left of the entrance to Vatican City.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM

The audio at the Vatican Museum is outstanding. It's the best one we've ever experienced.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM

V,

I did a 4.5 hour tour with Context Rome. Our guide was a Rennaisance Art PHd named Liliana (Sicilian). She was amazing and I really got a lot out of it. Well worth the $.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 02:30 PM

My husband and I both read Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling by Ross King before visiting Rome and it was a great background for seeing the sistine Chapel and Raphael rooms. It's very readable.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. Now all we have to do is make a decision - yet another one. Ciao!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 01:18 PM

We got reservations through Rome Museum for Oct. 15 several months ago and have been waiting for entrance codes. After several inquiries we were finally told they got NO codes for that date. Following a suggestion on another travel site, we tried getting them through Vatican Museums directly and got the same response: no tickets for that date. Has anybody heard of something special going on that date? I'm getting concerned we could be waiting in line all day!
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM

Your hotel should be albe to arrange it on a very short notice, esp if it is in or close to the center. They usually deal with several agencies. We had no problem requesting the night before to be picked up at the hotel for a full tour incl. the Sistine Ch. The name of the tour company escapes me but the guide was a professional architect moonlighting for the tour comp. We were very pleased with the way it turned out.

-e
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM

Get information from the web, rent the audio tape and do it on your own. One of the best four hours we've spent in Rome was wandering through the museum from begining to end without having to tag along with a tour group. A short half hour break and a couple slices of pizza from the snack bar inside provided a welcome rest break. Take plenty of photos or buy a Vatican museum brochure to remind you later of the treasures you've seen.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 03:51 PM

We're still trying to decide how to tour the Vatican. Would someone enlighten me as to the reservation system referred to in the original post? thanks!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

JeanneB, I am the original poster. To make a reservation directly with the Vatican for one of their own tours (which supposedly avoids having to stand in line), you must fax them at 011-39-06-6988-5100. To see details, go to: www.vatican.va. Choose "Holy See" (presumbably in English); select "Vatican Museums" on the wheel; then choose "Info Museums"; go to "Visitor Services" and then choose Guided Tours. This will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 06:16 PM

If you can find a couple to join you and make it a party of four, I suggest you use Enrico Bruschini, the author of the offical art guide to the Vatican Museum. It was 400 Euro for us this time last year, almost to the day (September 23) but we had a special rate as a result of a friend. His going rate is in the range of 500 to 550 Euro, I believe. You can do a search on his name on this forum or a google search. Even if you do not get to use him, you should buy his book and read it before going. The book is VATICAN MASTERPIECES. Here is a link to it on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/Vatican-Master.../dp/1857592700

We avoided the long lines as a result of Bruschini's being able to get us in via his contacts. And, we also got to see portions of the museum that are not open to the general public. He has to ask for and get special permission while you are waiting to go behind roped areas which worked well for us when we were with him. He also helped in the restoration of the Sistine Chapel and was given permission by the Pope to touch the area of the fingertip of God touching Adam's. He will regale you with stories. His English is wonderful.