Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Could someone please tell me what church in Rome has the table said to be from The Last Supper?

Search

Could someone please tell me what church in Rome has the table said to be from The Last Supper?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:06 AM
April

I have read somewhere about the table of the Last Supper being in a church in Rome but I can't remember where I read it.<BR><BR>My daughter and I would really like to visit this church in our upcoming trip. I realize there is always controversy as to the autenticity of an item like this but we still would like to see it.<BR><BR>Thanks for any help,<BR><BR>April

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:22 AM
just curious

I'd never heard this. April, is it supposed to be the table from the actual Last Supper OR the table that was used during the rendering of the painting itself ???<BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Alec

It's in the Basilica of St John Lateran, the Cathedral of Rome. A fragment of the supposed table is encased within the marble papal altar, which lies behind the free-standing altar now in liturgical use. It is believed to be the altar table St Peter himself used in saying Mass in Rome, which in turn was the table used by Christ at the last Supper.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
xxx

Alec,<BR><BR>Beautiful! Now I remember why I visit this forum. I will store up that info in my mental database and make use of it on a future trip. Thank you.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Jean Valjean

In case you are interested, right across the street from St. John you'll find the Scala Santa. This in one of the holiest places in Christendom. The steps of the staircase in there are said to be walked by Jesus Christ when presented to Pilate (may have been Herod, I don't remember).<BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 09:08 AM
April

Thank you so much for the great info. This board is the best!! Not only did I get the info I wanted but x-tra!!<BR><BR>To curious: I would answer but I guess the other replies answer your question.<BR>It is supposed to be from the actual Last Supper.<BR><BR>Thanks again,<BR><BR>April<BR>April