Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Could someone give me Bayernkarte Information please?

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone tell me how the bayernkarte works, how to get it at the station, and how to know if routes are eligble? I have a vocabulary of about 20 German words, so I have no idea what the bahn.de site says about it! What I understand at this point is that it costs around 25 euro and that it's valid for one weekday from 9 am - 3 am.

We would probably use it from Berchtesgaden to Munich; and then another Munich to Rothenburg; then to the Frankfurt airport if it is valid.

Also, did I see that you get discounts on regular train travel, if you are 55? (not that I am, of course...just curious!)
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I'd be glad to help with translation, but I'm searching the www.bahn.de site and can't bring up with their search feature or otherwise see a reference to a Bayernkarte.

Nor do I see it on this Bayern site you might like for other good info:

www.bavariannews.com/

Bayernkarte comes up on Google, but in reference to maps (a map is a Landkarte, and the word Karte can be combined with a place name like Bayern/Bavaria...).

So, can you give a specific link or URL or other info?

WK
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

See if this works...thanks for your help!

http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVOSN:dKEsed...rnticket.shtml
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:30 AM

wren: I went to the English section of bahn.de and came up with this:

http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVOZ9:dKEFFt..._tickets.shtml

"Bayern-Ticket (Bavaria-Ticket)
Package price EUR 25 if you buy your ticket online or at the ticket machine. EUR 27 if you purchase your ticket at the ReiseZentrum.
This ticket is valid from Monday to Sunday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day (on bank holidays for the whole day)on Saturday and Sunday and bank holidays from from 0 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day. It can be used on all local trains (InterRegioExpress, RegionalExpress, RegionalBahn, S-Bahn) and the entire transport system in Bavaria as well as the Münchner Verkehrsbund (MVV) and Verkehrsverbund Nürnberg (VGN), Augsburger Verkehrs- und Tarifverbundes (AVV) and many more. For more detailed information please check the Länder-Tickets (in German) site."
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Rufus...makes it much easier for me to understand!!
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I'll go you one better - this is the info you need from the bahn site, in English:

http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVORN:dKEG-N..._tickets.shtml

Note that: You can buy it either for a single person (E18, “Bayern-Ticket Single”)) or for a couple/family group from 2-5 people that will all share the same card that coss E25 (“Bayern-Ticket”). These are the online or vending-machine prices - buying them at the counter costs 2 Euros more..

Valid for one day - during the week that begins at 9AM (til 3AM the next day in case you’re on a late train), on weekends 24 hours. Only valid on local trains in 2nd class, RE, RB, IRE, und S-Bahn and a bunch of private or other local lines, but not on fast long-distance trains (not even for short local segments on those (like ICE, EC und IC).

Proof of family-membership/kinship may have to be given if asked. Non-refundable.

Valid also on all buses (municipalities and also these companies: OVF, KOB, RBO, RVO, RVA, RBS).
Also valid for free or reduced fares or entrances in a number of places listed on a downloadable pdf document.

WK
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

So it looks like you just need to find a ticket machine and it should be available.

Does it look to you like you would just buy a regular ticket for 2 to go from Wurzburg to the Frankfurt airport?
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I found the text in German at this location: http://www.bahn.de/-S:-ptVORN:dKEApd...ticket.shtml#1

I have listed the German version first. The English version is after the German version. I am sure many of you can improve my translation. That is why I included the original German and told you where I got it.

Bayern-Ticket
Unterwegs in ganz Bayern für nur 25,- EUR (hier im Internet)! Bis zu fünf Personen sind mit diesem Ticket montags bis freitags ab 9.00 Uhr bis 3.00 Uhr des Folgetages mobil. An Samstagen, Sonntagen und an den in ganz Bayern gültigen gesetzlichen Feiertagen gilt das Bayern-Ticket sogar ganztägig von 0.00 Uhr bis 3.00 Uhr des Folgetages! Besonders interessant für Familien: Mit dem Bayern-Ticket können Eltern bzw. Großeltern oder ein Eltern-/Großelternteil beliebig viele eigene Kinder/Enkelkinder (unter 15 Jahren) umsonst mitnehmen.
• Eltern oder Elternteile haben für alle Teilnehmer die Zugehörigkeit zur Familie auf Nachfrage glaubhaft zu machen.
• Die Bayern-Tickets gelten nicht in den Zügen des Fernverkehrs (z. B. ICE, EC und IC).
• Rückgabe, Umtausch und Erstattung nicht benutzter Tickets sowie Platzreservierungen und 1.-Klasse-Fahrten sind ausgeschlossen.
• Kleine Hunde in Transportboxen dürfen unentgeltlich mitgenommen werden. Andere mitgeführte Hunde benötigen eine Fahrkarte zum halben Normalpreis.
• Wenn die Züge nicht zu voll sind, können Sie Ihr Fahrrad mitnehmen. Dazu benötigen Sie zusätzlich eine Fahrradkarte des Nahverkehrs für 3,- EUR pro Fahrrad und Tag. Die Fahrradkarten gelten in Kombination mit den Bayern-Tickets den ganzen Tag für beliebig viele Fahrten. In einigen Regionen ist die Fahrradmitnahme im Nahverkehr kostenlos.
• Das Bayern-Ticket gilt montags bis freitags von 9.00 Uhr bis 3.00 Uhr des Folgetages. Wenn Ihre Tour diese Zeiten überschreitet, lösen Sie einfach eine Zusatzfahrkarte:
Lösen Sie zusätzlich zum Bayern-Ticket eine Fahrkarte zum Normalpreis bis zum ersten Haltepunkt, den Ihr Zug ab 9.00 Uhr erreicht.

Wo erhalten Sie die Bayern-Tickets?
Sie erhalten das Bayern-Ticket an den Fahrkartenautomaten für 25,- EUR und das Bayern-Ticket Single für 18,- EUR. Sie bekommen die Tickets für je 2,- EUR mehr in allen DB ReiseZentren und DB Agenturen.

Oder Sie bestellen Ihr Bayern-Ticket, Bayern-Ticket Single oder Bayern-Ticket hier direkt online. Für 25,- und je 18,- EUR!

ENGLISH VERSION

Get underway in all of Bavaria for only 25 € when purchased via Internet. Up to 5 people can travel with this ticket Mondays through Fridays from 9 AM until 3 AM the following day. On Saturdays and Sundays and on all valid, legal holidays the Bavaria Ticket is valied the entire day from midnight until 3 AM of the following day. This ticket is of special interest for families. With the Bavaria Ticket parents, grand parents or a parent grandparent combination may take along for free many of their own children or grandchildren (under 15 years of age)

Other considerations:

Parents or grandparents must be able to prove upon request that everybody is in the same family.

The Bavaria Ticket is not valid on long distance trains. (ICE, EC und IC trains for example. EC is EuroCity, IC is Intercity. ICE is Intercity Express)

No refunds or exchanges. The ticket is not valid in first class nor are seat reservations possible.

The remainder describes the conditions that apply to taking dogs. A dog in a box is free, otherwise the dog must have a ticket at half price.

The ticket is valid from 9 am to 3 am the following day. Travel outside of those times is subject to normal ticket pricing. [As I interpret it, if you start your trip before 9 am, you must buy a normal priced ticket to your first stop after 9 am. The same is true for travel after 3 am the following morning.]

The ticket can be purchased from automatic ticket machines for € 25 or € 18 for a single ticket. For €2 more you can buy from a Db cental ticket office or a DB agency. Or you can buy the ticket directly on Internet for the price of € 25 or €18.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:53 AM

I know this is a really old post, but I'm still hoping someone can help clarify something for me. I understand what the Bayernkarte IS and where to get it, but I'm not sure about actually using it.

If I purchase a Bayernkarte, can I use it whenever I want throughout the course of the eligible day? (i.e. get on any applicable train that I want within Bavaria?). Or do I have to make seat reservations ahead of time for each train?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:08 AM

I don't know if this is going to help you, but I will try:
-Prices have risen a bit: 19 euros for single Bayern Ticket and 27 euros for Group Bayern Ticket.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

The Bayern ticket (not "Bayernkarte" - no train employee will understand what you mean) is valid on local trains only, so there are no seat reservations.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM

Is there a website with train times for the eligible trains? I have been looking on www.bahn.de, but it appears that the only train times listed on there are ICE Trains, which I believe are not eligible for the Bayern Ticket.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:40 PM

The "find a connection" page has a box entitled "means of transport" which offers four different options. Click on "without ICE/IC/EC" to exclude the trains the Bayern-Ticket isn't valid on.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I have just returned from Munchen and I can confirm all the recent info: no need to reserve seat, you only must purchase the Bayern Ticket at the machine and then write your name on the ticket (we didn't know, but the person who checked the tickets on the train told us to do so).
It is a very good bargain, especially on weekends, when you can enjoy the ticket during all the day.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:22 AM
yk

Here's the Engligh website to the Bayern Ticket
http://tinyurl.com/2883al
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Quokka,

I always use "only local transport" rather than "without ICE/IC/EC". I believe that "only local" exactly fits the Länder Ticket requirements while "without..." might include some InterRegio trains, which are not included in the Tickets. However, I haven't been on an IR in years (I have seen one on a schedule, but it was a while ago). Perhaps there is no longer any difference between the categories.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:26 AM

So this ticket would work for a family going from Munich Hbf to the airport via the subway?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Yes, a Bayer-Ticket would work for a family going to the airport in Munich, but a better deal is the MVV all zones Partner Day Ticket for €18,00. It is valid for unlimited travel for a day in the entire MVV (Münchner Verkehrs- und Tariffverbund or Munich metro district). It is valid for up to 5 adult; 2 children between 6 and 14 count as one adult.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Thank you for that bit of information. I will use that for the subway to the airport instead.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:09 PM
yk

2 Quick Qs about the Bayern Ticket:

1. To buy it from the ticket machine with CC, does the machine ask for a PIN # for CC?

2. According the the Bayern Ticket website, looks like the ticket is also valid for local transportation in towns? I'm traveling from Nurnberg to Bamberg and Bayreuth. Looks like the train stations in Bamberg and Bayreuth is a little bit of a walk to the old towns. Can I use the Bayern Ticket for local buses or trams for both towns if I'm too tired to walk?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -