Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Could anyone tell me how many rolls of film you can take into Italy from the US without paying customs? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/could-anyone-tell-me-how-many-rolls-of-film-you-can-take-into-italy-from-the-us-without-paying-customs-246143/)

April Aug 5th, 2002 08:50 AM

Could anyone tell me how many rolls of film you can take into Italy from the US without paying customs?

I am planning a trip soon to Italy and I have read somewhere that there is a # of rolls per person limit without paying customs on the film. Does anyone know about this or where I can find out? Thanks!!

Rex Aug 5th, 2002 09:12 AM

I believe that this is urban legend. I think that you could have a whole suitcase of film and no one would know or care. I have never felt like any customs official was concerned with me in the slightest upon arriving in Europe.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Nutella Aug 5th, 2002 09:25 AM

Not an urban legend. Customs allows up to 2 still cameras and 10 rolls of film for each camera. <BR>Whether or not this is enforced in practice is another issue, but it's the law.

April Aug 5th, 2002 09:25 AM

Thanks Rex!! I appreciate your info. Now my film budget just went up! How I do love my Nikon! <BR><BR>Thanks again, <BR><BR>April

kkj Aug 5th, 2002 09:36 AM

Interesting question. I checked the US Custom's page and the Know Before You Go section and couldn't find any mention of a limit on film etc. I could have missed it though. You might want to check it out yourself. It did mention that film bought or developed abroad had to be declared and duty paid if need be.

Nutella Aug 5th, 2002 09:42 AM

Kkg, you'd need to check the customs info of the country you're entering, not the US. Here's the info from the Italian Govt Tourist Board:<BR>http://www.italiantourism.com/regulat.html<BR>

Howard Aug 5th, 2002 12:03 PM

Rex is wrong. There is a law, but it is rarely, if ever, enforced. Each person is restricted to 2 cameras and 10 rolls for each. However, I don't think anyone has ever had any film confiscated!<BR>The first time we went to Italy, just to play safe, we took along three $5 cameras "just in case." On our second trip, we didn't bother with the dummy cameras, and I don't plan to take them on our third trip this fall!

Dayle Aug 5th, 2002 01:19 PM

I have understood that the limit is 9 rolls, but both trips I took 4 times that many & no one cared.

Julie Aug 5th, 2002 05:52 PM

Is the point that the facts, regarding the law, were wrong? Or that the advice is wrong?<BR><BR>Does anyone know what the customs would be? or is it true that you could have as much film as you want, and not worry about the customs?<BR><BR>Is the correct term paying "duty"?<BR><BR>Has anyone ever paid it?<BR>

Howard Aug 5th, 2002 06:18 PM

Okay, Julie, I'll try to make it a little clearer:<BR>1. Yes, there is a law in Italy that says that each person is allowed to bring in two cameras and ten rolls of film for each camera.<BR>2. Based on the experiences of many (including myself), apparently the Italian customs inspectors do not enforce the law.<BR>If you want to verify point #1, check out:<BR>http://www.italiantourism.com/regulat.html<BR>Got it?<BR>

Newbie Aug 5th, 2002 06:31 PM

So if one were to take more than the "allowed" 10 rolls per camera do you declare it, or no? And do you declare the 10 rolls to begin with if allowed?<BR>Thanks

Nutella Aug 6th, 2002 03:20 AM

Did you ever feel like Bruce Willis in "The Sixth Sense," where you can see your own posts on this message board, but apparently no one else can see them : )

Howard Aug 6th, 2002 05:33 AM

Newbie, speaking only from my experience, you don't have to declare a thing!

Rex Aug 6th, 2002 06:35 AM

I might just about say the same thing, nutella. I gave the right advice, which is "take all you want".<BR><BR>There was apparently some pleasure in declaring that I am wrong.<BR><BR>The sentiment I intended to convey is this: the real world experience of everyone and their brother seems to indicate there is no such law.<BR><BR>In the future, I will modify both verbs in this sentence to:<BR><BR>I _guess_ this _must be_ urban legend.<BR><BR>The amusing thing is that I put April's mind at ease in less than half an hour, and quite possibly, she moved on and has never come back here again. Since she posted the second time simultaneously to your first post, she _might have_ never seen any of the follow-up.<BR>

Nutella Aug 6th, 2002 06:53 AM

Rex, please don't be so defensive. Nobody is taking pleasure in declaring you were wrong. But in fact you were wrong in this particular instance, and mine and other responses provided the correct info. The question was "Is there a limit to the number of rolls of film?" and you answered that it must be an urban legend. This is like asking if there's a speed limit of 65 MPH on a particular stretch of I-95 and getting an answer that it must be an urban legend because most people go over 70 MPH.

Howard Aug 6th, 2002 08:27 AM

Red, enough with the paranoia! And you wonder why you're the butt of so much critical and/or nasty comment?

Howard Aug 6th, 2002 08:42 AM

Oops, a typo. The previous message, obviously, was meant for Rex, not Red.

Rex Aug 6th, 2002 09:40 AM

Howard,<BR><BR>I think this is the pot calling the kettle black. You started your reply, focuing on my post, not on answering the question answered. It suggest what is your first priority.<BR><BR>Every reply to this thread has provided the same advice. I gave it first.<BR><BR>Both my answer and yours read just as well or better with the first sentence removed.<BR>

Nutella Aug 6th, 2002 10:02 AM

Rex,<BR>You gave it first? You forgot the "nah nah nah nah nah nah" part.<BR>The original poster did not ask for your ADVICE. She asked if there was a quantity limit. Your answer, suggesting that the quantity limit was rumor and not fact, was misleading. Perhaps you should be admitting your error instead of insisting your reply was best.

just Aug 6th, 2002 12:18 PM

Nutella and Howard: Don't even try to be civil to or reason with Rex. It's a lost cause! I hope all the Rex defenders are reading this thread to see what an obnoxious ass he is!