Reload this Page >

Is a dress/skirt necessary in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 10:33 AM
Kathryn

We two moms and daughters are trying to pack light for our November trip to Paris. We do have reservations at some nice restaurants (Jules Verne) and are hoping that nice pant suits/outfits will do. For those of you who have been to Paris, what is your opinion? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Kathryn

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 10:41 AM
elaine

Kathryn <BR>dressy pants outfits will be fine for the Jules Verne and similar place

Old Sep 22nd, 2000, 01:53 PM
Christina

I think it will be okay if it's really dressy and nice, but since a skirt and blouse (which could be worn with a silk blouse or silk sweater or shell or something) usually take up much less space than a pants suit I wonder if maybe there is a difference of definition between you and me, for example, in what a nice pants suit is (which to me would be heavy-weight silk or fine woolen trousers or some fabric like that, with a tailored stylish jacket and a silk blouse). A simple quality knit or merino wool dress would take up less room also, I think. Those are the things I take when I travel to Europe and need some dressy outfits (a simple dress, a skirt, and some versatile tops); I would never take a pants suit due to the bulk and the fact that they are not that versatile, and not usually that attractive unless they are very expensive and you look like a model (well, maybe you do, but I don't).

Old Sep 23rd, 2000, 10:43 PM
Donna

I'm with Christina on this one. While you can surely "get by" with a "nice pants suits/outfits", a skirt or dress is "better". A nice black skirt, beautiful blouse, or perfect black dress, and gorgeous jacket or cardigan in your favorite (and most flattering) color, perhaps with a strand of pearls, are "di rigueur" in Paris.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 04:23 AM
x

You'll get more responses if you post this on the general Europe board. Fewer people read or respond on this one.

Old Sep 24th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Lori

Kathryn, <BR>Post this on the general Europe board, you will get more answers. I've worn pants with a nice blouse and blazer to many places in Paris and felt just fine. Black pants are what you need to take if you go that route (lots of black) or follow Christina's suggestions, she's right on. Again, tho post where you will get more responses, over on the main board.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 08:49 AM
lisa

I find that a nice pair of tailored black pants are perfectly appropriate for almost any dining experience in Paris and can be dressed up or down depending on what you wear with it (nice shoes/boots, silk top, scarf, tailored wool boucle jacket or whatever). Pants are much more versatile than dresses or skirts in my opinion and also tend to be more practical in cold weather, so that's what I usually wear. I also often bring a knit dress or skirt but generally find that I don't get nearly as much wear out of that as I do the pants. I don't think the pants vs. skirt is the important thing -- it's what you wear WITH the pants or skirt that matters.