Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cotswolds through London Walks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cotswolds-through-london-walks-239406/)

Terry Jul 14th, 2002 12:21 PM

Cotswolds through London Walks

Has anyone traveled through the Cotswolds and Oxford by Original London Walks? Either we're going to do the trip by train/bus or through the London Walks. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Laurie Jul 14th, 2002 07:29 PM

Can someone help us out? I am also considering this. Thanks!

Julie Jul 14th, 2002 07:38 PM

I highly recommend it I did it a few years back.

Patti Jul 15th, 2002 06:12 AM

HI,<BR><BR>Was in England two weeks ago and my travelling companion took this very tour. Generally, she liked it, she said the Oxford part was more comprehensive than the Cotswolds part of the tour. She was hoping they would go to some of the more reknowned towns, but instead went to a couple of tiny villages with not much of interest. I think with London Walks tours you are at the mercy of your tour guide. They seem to choose their favorites, rather than the "should sees." We also took the London Walks highlights tour of the British Museum, and while I thought our guide was entertaining, with a couple exceptions, we saw her favorite things in the museum, not necessarily the most famous.<BR><BR>Patti

Laurie Jul 15th, 2002 07:52 PM

Thanks for your replies,Julie and Patti. We are planning on trying several of the London Walks. They really sound interesting! Thanks again.Laurie

Elizabeth Jul 16th, 2002 05:27 PM

I took one London Walks tour and liked it a lot (St Paul's & things nearby).<BR><BR> And: for day-trips: you might take a look at the offerings of Gentle Journeys, who do garden-oriented day trips. I took three in May and they were absolutely great. I recognize this isn't what you were looking for exacatly--but some of the garden days take you right into the Cotswolds.<BR><BR> You can find them easily through Google.

Joy Jul 16th, 2002 07:09 PM

We went on the Oxford & Cotswolds walk (which is actually a day trip) with London walks in May, 2002. The Cotswold town we visited was Minster Lovell - very small, traipsed through a short path around a field near some water, viewed a ruined old hall, walked down a local road past some lovely cottages and back around to the bus before setting off to Burford where we stopped for a quick lunch. I think they visit such a small Cotswolds town for time purposes. We then went on to Oxford. I agree with the above poster that they did seem to focus more on Oxford but we were pleasantly surprised by this part of the tour. What an interesting place it turned out to be. If you have your heart set on hiking through the Cotswolds for a day I would do it on my own but for a brief glimpse of the Cotswolds & Oxford in one day having them take care of the travel arrangements is the way to go. Also, our guide "Richard" was quite entertaining.

Laurie Jul 17th, 2002 09:03 PM

Thank you for the information, Elizabeth and Joy. It is nice to hear about other people's experiences.I will be sure to check out "Gentle Journeys".Thanks again. Laurie

Terry Jul 18th, 2002 04:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions on the Cotswolds. We are looking forward to our trip coming up. If anyone else has some suggestions for hiking the Cotswolds, it would be much appreciated.

muggle Jul 26th, 2002 02:46 PM

Did that trip 2 years ago in April. Had a wonderful time, plenty of time on your own in Oxford, saw very nice country side in the cotswolds,much better than the usual bus trips(Evans Evans or Frames).<BR>Go enjoy yourself

shula Aug 16th, 2002 10:46 PM

i did Evans Evans the Enchanting cotswolds two years ago. it was lovely because it included only the villages, not much explanation. we stoped in 3-4 villages and had free time to walk around. Burford, Broadway and Bourton-on-the-Water were i had time enought for a sandwich near the river, the model rain and a really lovely miniature museum. not a very coultural trip but a lot of time on your own to look around.