Cotswolds or similar for one day

Oct 10th, 2017, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Cotswolds or similar for one day

Hi there,

I'm heading to London for two weeks at the very beginning of November. I'm spending most of the time in the City, but I had also wanted to see some sort of typical "English countryside". I know this is super vague and that there are a variety of places, but I wanted it to be within a day-trip distance from Central London.

I read elsewhere on this Forum that the Cotswolds is more of a series of small villages and not so much a tourist destination, and that there are more interesting places to go. I had previously looked at places like Bibury.

I really just want to see some nice cottages/pretty little towns/anything like that. How pretty they are in November I have no idea, but I don't want to spend my ENTIRE time in the city. I would have to either take a tour via a tour company, or train.
Oct 10th, 2017, 04:41 AM

Www.walks.com do day trips to many places, including the Cotswolds. Highly recommend them!
Oct 10th, 2017, 06:06 AM

You can take the train from London (Paddington, I think) to Moreton-in-Marsh. It is a working village, but not the most scenic of those in the Cotswolds. If you want to travel independently (as I have) from there you can walk cross country to Stow-on-the-Wold or take a bus or taxi from there to other towns that are more scenic (and therefore more touristy). Bourton-on-the-Water, Upper and Lower Slaughter. You could probably also find a tour or guide that starts from Moreton-in-Marsh as well as from London.

One of the websites I saved when I was planning my trips:
http://www.britainexpress.com/Where_.../Cotswolds.htm
Oct 10th, 2017, 06:24 AM

>>I read elsewhere on this Forum that the Cotswolds is more of a series of small villages and not so much a tourist destination, . . .<<

Not sure where you read that. It is a series of small towns and villages, but it is also tourist central. . . . But not so much in November. You can certainly go there as Kay2 describes.

As jamikins says, London Walks is great -- this page lists all the out of town walks. http://www.walks.com/other-tours/day-trips-from-london I don't know which all are offered in Nov, but they go to lots of other country destinations other than the Cotswolds so just look through the descriptions to see if any are offered on your dates.

With 2 weeks you could likely squeeze in more than one day trip.
Oct 11th, 2017, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I've wound up deciding to do a daytrip with Premium tours...hopefully it's ok! I believe it takes us to Bibury.
Oct 11th, 2017, 09:55 AM

DAMN site

I posted a reply and it got lost in the ether . . .

Basically - Bibury is really just a small village w/ two photo ops, 1) Arlington Row and 2) the Swan Hotel w/ the river/Trout farm out front. The two are walking distance apart. The place is TOTALLY overrun in summer w/ no place to park. Folks spend about 20 minutes taking their photos than jump back in the car and take off. Some linger long enough to have a drink at the Swan or look at the fish in the Trout Farm.

In November it should not be crowded at all -- but I personally would not pick a tour primarily because Bibury was on the menu . . .
Oct 11th, 2017, 10:36 AM

I agree with janisj. Have made many trips to the Cotswolds but only two to Bibury, and one trip was to spend a night at the Swan. Difficult with a tour but other than Burford ( my favorite) the best villages are usually the ones least visited. Still, the Cotswolds are lovely and visiting in November will be a plus in regard to missing large crowds.

Sorry not familiar with Premium Tours.
Jan 23rd, 2019, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Just an update - wound up doing that tour in November, and of course it was pouring rain all day! However we really enjoyed it. We saw Bibury (had lunch at the Swan), Stow on the Wold, Bourton-on-the-Water. I would LOVE to see other villages but I had three other people with me and this was the easiest tour to get everyone to book. Crowds weren't too bad, just the rain was a nuisance.
Jan 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM

Thanks vacatia for the update. The Cotswolds are my favorite place in England, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit.