Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Cotswolds - Car/Driver and B&B recommendations (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/cotswolds-car-driver-and-b-and-b-recommendations-260288/)

Gail Giarratano Sep 23rd, 2002 09:20 AM

Cotswolds - Car/Driver and B&B recommendations

My husband and I and another couple will be visiting Great Britian in November, touring the Cotswolds from November 5-8. Need recommendation for a reliable company providing car and driver for day trips within the Cotswolds? Any suggestions for B&Bs/towns to overnight in for 2 nights? Will overnight in Bath on the 3rd evening. Also need suggestion for B&B or small inn in Bath.

Carla Sep 23rd, 2002 03:55 PM

Paradise House in Bath is a lovely B&B. You are wise to hire a driver for touring the Cotswolds. The roads are narrow and people drive fast. The most stressful 2 days of our trip to England for me were spent driving in the Cotswolds!

moonbeam Sep 23rd, 2002 04:08 PM

we have driven there for 30 years or more and have never had a problem. especially that late in the season..give it a try!<BR><BR>Burford might be a lovely place to stay,,or Stow on the wold or Bibury..the list is endless. If you really want a great place try Broadway. we were not happy with Lords of the Manor in upper or lower Slaughter.<BR><BR>Wesley House is also wonderful and wonderful food. The list is so endless it's hard to help.<BR><BR>You will have so much more freedom with your own car...and your own schedule. If you can drive in most American cities , this part of UK will not be a problem!

marda Sep 23rd, 2002 04:17 PM

We returned yesterday from a trip to the UK and Paris. We spent 4 days in the Cotswolds and stayed in a charming hotel in Stow On Wold,The Grapevine. we rented a car and drove all over the place. I agree that Burford is a wonderful little town,as is Chipping Camden,and almost all of them.If you go to a search engine and put it The Cotswolds,you will get lots of info. and some wonderful pictures of the villages there. Good luck.

nancy Sep 23rd, 2002 05:50 PM

I stayed at this B&B in Stow-on-the-Wold - #9 Park St. (46 lbs/night in May 1999) for 2 nights. I believe they have a website or you could probably find them thru the Stow tourist website. We found it by going to the tourist office. The hosts were very nice, served a good breakfast, had a very nice sitting room. Even had a small carafe of sherry in the room. It's very small so I would check on them right now. From here, we visited lots of Cotswold villages, went to Warwick and even headed to Stratford-upon-Avon (altho' we got there at 4:00 which is really too late - did manage a Guide Friday tour of the town). Didn't really have to rush around. We did have our own car so can't help with drivers. If you stay in Stow (or any other town) you might check their websites for tour drivers. Any questions, please e-mail me directly.

janis Sep 23rd, 2002 07:45 PM

Every Tourist Office (there is one in all of the larger Cotswold towns - Burford, Srow, Chipping Campden, Broadway, etc) has a list of driver/guides. In the off season you willnot need to pre-book one.<BR><BR>But I agree with the others, you will have more freedom - and save a lot of money - if you do your own driving. In Nov. there are NO tourists and the traffic is not bad at all.<BR><BR>

Jen Sep 24th, 2002 03:40 AM

In Bath, we enjoyed staying at the Sydney Gardens Hotel, which is actually a lovely large home with about 6 B&B rooms. Quiet setting about 10 minutes' walk from the center of Bath, great breakfast, and thoughtful touches like a fridge in the hall for milk.

Dan Sep 24th, 2002 06:17 AM

We stayed at the Kettle House in Chipping Campden and The Villa Magdala In Bath about a year and a half ago. Both were reasonably priced and a good experience. Kettle House was a highlight of our trip. Villa Magdala was a bit more Hotel like, but comfortable, had parking, and was an easy walk into tourist bath. Both have web sites.<BR>Cheers